XTR front hub and radial lacing, breakage?

Jim Verheul

Guest
I was about to build up an XTR front hub radially, for my recumbent. 32h 26". I noticed that the
literature from Shimano says the warranty is voided by this. Has any one ever cracked an XTR
(HB-M950?) flange by lacing radially?

Thanks, JV

I have built several radially spoked front wheels for my 'bents.

If yours is LWB, you will know that there is not much weight on the front wheel.

Lewis.

"Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was about to build up an XTR front hub radially, for my recumbent. 32h 26". I noticed that the
> literature from Shimano says the warranty is voided by this. Has any one ever cracked an XTR
> (HB-M950?) flange by lacing radially?
>
> Thanks, JV

"Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was about to build up an XTR front hub radially, for my recumbent. 32h 26". I noticed that the
> literature from Shimano says the warranty is voided by this. Has any one ever cracked an XTR
> (HB-M950?) flange by lacing radially?
>
> Thanks, JV

I've broken a Dura-Ace "9s" front hub. It was also a 32H, also laced radially. Lasted about
4000 miles.

Jim-<< I was about to build up an XTR front hub radially, for my recumbent. 32h 26". I noticed that
the literature from Shimano says the warranty is voided by this. Has any one ever cracked an XTR
(HB-M950?) flange by lacing radially? >><BR><BR>

Why chance it? Just lace it 3 cross and not worry about it. What will radial do that 3 cross won't?

> Jim-<< I was about to build up an XTR front hub radially, for my
recumbent. 32h
> 26". I noticed that the literature from Shimano says the warranty is
voided
> by this. Has any one ever cracked an XTR (HB-M950?) flange by lacing radially? >><BR><BR>
>
> Why chance it? Just lace it 3 cross and not worry about it. What will
radial do
> that 3 cross won't?

Oh, Peter! You know as well as I do how ego-driven are many road cyclists If not that, they think
the lighter, shorter spokes will affect their performance.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]