XTR Front Hub Spare Part Request

Me

Guest
Hi, I repacked my front shimano m950 XTR front hub last week and being the idiot I am, I bent the
little metal dustcaps that fit in the hub shell just over the bearings.

I pried it out (gently) with a screwdriver but that bent it on the inside - on both the left and the
right dustcaps.

I've looked on shimano's diagrams and they dont sell them individually nor does www.loosescrews.com

I've heard that a company called Morningstar might make replacements, but cant find any reference to
them on the net.

Ahhh! I'm an idiot!

So where do I find this part? It's removable from the hubshell yet I don't know where I can get
any more. The rear hub (in the freehub) has a similar one but that of course is a differnt size
- I think.

If anyone thinks they might be able to help me locate this part and would like to see a diagram I've
made identifying it, email me at

[email protected]

remove the SPAM and I'll email you a small .jpg where I point to the part I need from
shimano's diagram.

In the mean time, I've been forced to run my hubs without this internal dust cover. So all thats
protecting me from grit and grim is the little plastic covers that fit by hand on either end of the
axles. Yikes!

Cheers for all the help, you guys in rec.bicycles.tech haven't let me down yet!

Me <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I repacked my front shimano m950 XTR front hub last week and being the idiot I am, I bent the
> little metal dustcaps that fit in the hub shell
just
> over the bearings.
>
> I pried it out (gently) with a screwdriver but that bent it on the
inside -
> on both the left and the right dustcaps.
>
> I've looked on shimano's diagrams and they dont sell them individually nor does
> www.loosescrews.com
>
> I've heard that a company called Morningstar might make replacements, but cant find any reference
> to them on the net.
>
> Ahhh! I'm an idiot!
>
> So where do I find this part? It's removable from the hubshell yet I don't know where I can get
> any more. The rear hub (in the freehub) has a similar one but that of course is a differnt size -
> I think.
>
> If anyone thinks they might be able to help me locate this part and would like to see a diagram
> I've made identifying it, email me at
>
> [email protected]
>
> remove the SPAM and I'll email you a small .jpg where I point to the part I need from
shimano's
> diagram.
>
> In the mean time, I've been forced to run my hubs without this internal
dust
> cover. So all thats protecting me from grit and grim is the little plastic covers that fit by hand
> on either end of the axles. Yikes!
>
> Cheers for all the help, you guys in rec.bicycles.tech haven't let me down yet!

What's stopping you straightening it out? I am presuming the cap is steel, in which case, it should
be too hard to straighten, unless there's something I'm missing here..........

Shaun aRe - hammers, screwdrivers, back end of a broken drill, bolt shaft ground to shape - these
sorts of things have saved me many times.

Shimano does sell these parts but not every LBS is a Shimano Service Center. As they have them here
in Holland.

Peter

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I repacked my front shimano m950 XTR front hub last week and being the idiot I am, I bent the
> little metal dustcaps that fit in the hub shell
just
> over the bearings.
>
> I pried it out (gently) with a screwdriver but that bent it on the
inside -
> on both the left and the right dustcaps.
>
> I've looked on shimano's diagrams and they dont sell them individually nor does
> www.loosescrews.com
>
> I've heard that a company called Morningstar might make replacements, but cant find any reference
> to them on the net.
>
> Ahhh! I'm an idiot!
>
> So where do I find this part? It's removable from the hubshell yet I don't know where I can get
> any more. The rear hub (in the freehub) has a similar one but that of course is a differnt size -
> I think.
>
> If anyone thinks they might be able to help me locate this part and would like to see a diagram
> I've made identifying it, email me at
>
> [email protected]
>
> remove the SPAM and I'll email you a small .jpg where I point to the part I need from
shimano's
> diagram.
>
> In the mean time, I've been forced to run my hubs without this internal
dust
> cover. So all thats protecting me from grit and grim is the little plastic covers that fit by hand
> on either end of the axles. Yikes!
>
> Cheers for all the help, you guys in rec.bicycles.tech haven't let me down yet!

I have been told by my local bike shop (a shimano service centre) that they are not available.

If anyone knows where I can find part Number 1 on the digram can you post its part number and
perhaps where I could get one? Does anyone make aftermarket shimano parts?

cheers

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:MFSTa.19443$KF1.307769@amstwist00...
> [...]

> So where do I find this part? It's removable from the hubshell yet I don't know where I can get
> any more. The rear hub (in the freehub) has a similar one but that of course is a differnt size -
> I think.
>
> If anyone thinks they might be able to help me locate this part and would like to see a diagram
> I've made identifying it, email me at
>
> [email protected]
>
> remove the SPAM and I'll email you a small .jpg where I point to the part I need from shimano's
> diagram.
>
> In the mean time, I've been forced to run my hubs without this internal dust cover. So all thats
> protecting me from grit and grim is the little plastic covers that fit by hand on either end of
> the axles. Yikes!
>
> Cheers for all the help, you guys in rec.bicycles.tech haven't let me down yet!

Have a go at re-forming them. If you can get 'em so they do not rub and are fairly close to the
original shape you will be good to go. When the lock nut is assembled, it traps the shields between
the cone and lock nut so they won't go anywhere. So, check for fit with the lock nuts snugged up.
Finally, if they are scratched and dinged but work OK it's no problem because the plastic caps cover
them so no one will ever know.

Steve Shapiro [email protected]

Peter wrote:

> "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I repacked my front shimano m950 XTR front hub last week and being the idiot I am, I bent
> > the little metal dustcaps that fit in the hub shell
> just
> > over the bearings.
> >

> Shimano does sell these parts but not every LBS is a Shimano Service Center. As they have them
> here in Holland.
>
> Peter

The plastic outercap is listed, but there are no partnumbers for the inner caps. I'd be surprised if
they would be available. You might be able to knock them back in shape with a suitable tube as
support, and cheap hubs might use the same part.
--
Marten

>Since when have attachments with graphics become possible on Usenet?

Long time ago. They are called binary files. But they should only be posted to binary newsgroups.
This is not a binary newsgroup, so they should not be posted here.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I repacked my front shimano m950 XTR front hub last week and being the idiot I am, I bent the
>little metal dustcaps that fit in the hub shell just over the bearings.
>
>I pried it out (gently) with a screwdriver but that bent it on the inside - on both the left and
>the right dustcaps.
>
>I've looked on shimano's diagrams and they dont sell them individually nor does
>www.loosescrews.com (snip)

Hmmm... Loose Screws shows:

SH-23R0500 Shimano M950 Front Dust Cap /Each $4.50

Isn't this what you're looking for?

> > "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi, I repacked my front shimano m950 XTR front hub last week and being
> the
> > > idiot I am, I bent the little metal dustcaps that fit in the hub shell
> > just
> > > over the bearings.
-snip-
> > > In the mean time, I've been forced to run my hubs without this
internal
> > dust
> > > cover. So all thats protecting me from grit and grim is the little
> plastic
> > > covers that fit by hand on either end of the axles. Yikes!

> "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:MFSTa.19443$KF1.307769@amstwist00...
> > Shimano does sell these parts but not every LBS is a Shimano Service
> Center.
> > As they have them here in Holland.

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have been told by my local bike shop (a shimano service centre) that
they
> are not available. If anyone knows where I can find part Number 1 on the digram can you post its
> part number and perhaps where I could get one? Does anyone make aftermarket shimano parts?

So you dented a dustcap. Everyone else dings them, too. That doesn't count as a disaster.

As someone else has already suggested, you would do much better to simply reform the part and get on
with your life than waste time waiting for the Shimano thing that never arrives. Tamp the thing flat
from the inside with a freewheel or cassette tool on your anvil behind the vise jaws. Then press the
cap with a freewheel or cassette tool over a socket or something of the proper diameter. Once it is
the appropriate shape, run your finger along the inside edge . A small file will take out any
remaining nicks that would otherwise drag on the cone.

When you reinstall, after everything is cleaned, go ahead and grease the cup as deep as a bearing,
count the balls as you lay them in the grease. Press the cap in lightly with your fingers. Drop in
the axle . Reassemble the left side cone, spacer(s) and locknut. Walk the cap home by pressing,
again not forcefully, against a cone wrench while turning it.