XTR: Good Stuff

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    I used to have perennial adjustment problems with the Deore 9-speed rear-end on my 'bent, so I
    upgraded the rear mech to XTR about 500 miles ago. Yesterday it started making out-of0adjustment
    noises so I've just put it on the workstand[1] and found that the hanger was twisted. Straightened
    the hanger, everything quiet again. It used to take about half an hour of faffing around to get a
    setup which was quiet in all gears on the old mech, on the new one it took less than five minutes
    including the time to straighten the hanger.

    Whether it's better than the LX on my wedgie, which hasn't been adjusted for ages but it's 8-speed
    and realtively low mileage, well, I really couldn't say, but I'm pleased with the results anyway.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    > Whether it's better than the LX on my wedgie, which hasn't been adjusted for ages but it's 8-speed
    > and realtively low mileage, well, I really couldn't say, but I'm pleased with the results anyway.

    I've done 950 miles on my 8 speed, very low-end Sora without a single problem. But then again, my
    previous bike was a 12 year old Peugeot racer, so I probably wouldn't know a great rear derailleur
    if it came up and bit me on the nose. I just know that the Sora is 100000x better than the Sachs
    thingie on the Pug.

    So things are moving on.

  3. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > I used to have perennial adjustment problems with the Deore 9-speed rear-end on my 'bent, so I
    > upgraded the rear mech to XTR about 500 miles ago. Yesterday it started making out-of0adjustment
    > noises so I've just put it on the workstand[1] and found that the hanger was twisted. Straightened
    > the hanger, everything quiet again. It used to take about half an hour of faffing around to get a
    > setup which was quiet in all gears on the old mech, on the new one it took less than five minutes
    > including the time to straighten the hanger.
    >
    > Whether it's better than the LX on my wedgie, which hasn't been adjusted for ages but it's 8-speed
    > and realtively low mileage, well, I really couldn't say, but I'm pleased with the results anyway.

    An XTR rear mech on my 1997 Rift Zone (FRS MTB) lasted 4 years of Mid-Wales muck before it became a
    bit unreliable. It's now on a bike I use on tarmac and I expect it to last for ever.

    However, the 2002 XT rear mech is lighter than the 1997 XTR and is superb. How 2002/3 XT and XTR
    compare I don't know.

    John

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > I've done 950 miles on my 8 speed, very low-end Sora without a single problem. But then again, my
    > previous bike was a 12 year old Peugeot racer, so I probably wouldn't know a great rear derailleur
    > if it came up and bit me on the nose. I just know that the Sora is 100000x better than the Sachs
    > thingie on the Pug.

    Yep - Ive doen 3000 on my Acera rear mech with no problems. I find my cheapo chainset, sora front
    shifter and front mech are pretty poor though. I dont know if better mech and shifter would have any
    effect but I think I will definately buy an aluminium chainset that is actually a bit more true :)

    --
    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected] www.westerleycycling.org.uk http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php
    ----------------------------------

  5. Approaching 11,000 km on a 2001 XT with no problems whatsoever.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > However, the 2002 XT rear mech is lighter than the 1997 XTR and is superb. How 2002/3 XT and XTR
    > compare I don't know.

    The XT rear mech on my Rift Zone is 3.5 years old and going strong with new Tacx jockey wheels. My
    previous mtb used to eat the old DX and LX mechs but there again I used to do more mud plugging.
    Just replaced the LX front with an XT and apart from the colour and a different shaped main spring
    housing I'm blowed if I can see any functional differences.

    Pete

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:32:38 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The XT rear mech on my Rift Zone is 3.5 years old and going strong with new Tacx jockey wheels.

    Those Tacx wheels are good, aren't they? Very quiet, I find them.

    Guy
    ===