XTR parts and things like that.

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Hi, I have some questions!

I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
other peoples bikes.

The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.

I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next year, and I really want to do some races.

My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making the
bike work faster than even XTR?

Thanks.

Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm not
lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts where I
live - like I said, if it helps!

Thanks again!

Shaun.

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions!
>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
> parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
> faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
> races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
> not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
> where I live - like I said, if it helps!
>

> Thanks again!
>

> Shaun.

I'd guess that it has more to do with the rider than the parts -- unless the parts are really bad.
In other words, get faster with what you have and then, as parts wear out, replace them with better
components.

David

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Hi, I have some questions!
>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
> parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
> faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
> races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
> not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
> where I live - like I said, if it helps!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Shaun.

:)

Shaun, go for the XTR is will make you loads quicker, but if you really want to race you'll need to
buy the titanium upgrade kit for them. This shaves off even more weight!

The other trick you could try is to leave off saddle & seatpost. This reduces weight and makes you
pedal faster. And don't forget tyres are for wimps - they add weight and rolling resistance is much
less if you just have rims.

Phil

Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote:
>The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
>Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too. I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
>they make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and
>things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster
>parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.

Parts aren't fast - legs are fast. At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be
marginally lighter and much more expensive equipment as things wear out.

Shaun R says:

>Hi, I have some questions!

And so do we..........

<snip-de-dip>

>Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Slow day in Nootronics-land???

Steve

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> > other peoples bikes.
> >
> > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> >
> > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
> > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> > the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > year, and I really want to do some races.
> >
> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
> > XTR?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
but
> > not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
them,
> > but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
> >

> > Thanks again!
> >

> > Shaun.
> >

> I'd guess that it has more to do with the rider than the parts

Thank you David, but I don't understand? I am fast without the bike?

>-- unless the parts are really bad.

Thay are! I have some Deore and some Deore LX!

> In other words, get faster with what you have and then, as parts wear out, replace them with
> better components.

I think they must sell these parts already worn out!

Shaun.

P.s. - Which is the fastest gear to be in?

Phil.Winterbourne <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> > other peoples bikes.
> >
> > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> >
> > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
> > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> > the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > year, and I really want to do some races.
> >
> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
> > XTR?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
but
> > not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
them,
> > but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > Shaun.
>
> :)
>
> Shaun, go for the XTR is will make you loads quicker,

I'm glad someone agrees with my friend! That will make him happy, and I think he usually is right -
he was right that taking off the dynamo and running my halogen night light from a battery would make
me less tire on rides.

> but if you really want to race you'll need to buy the titanium upgrade kit for them. This shaves
> off even more weight!

Where do I order these from? Is there some on-line review of these kits? Does titanium look good,
like, better than CNC alloy?

> The other trick you could try is to leave off saddle & seatpost. This reduces weight and makes you
> pedal faster. And don't forget tyres are for wimps - they add weight and rolling resistance is
> much less if you just have rims.

My friend, he said that tyres only help you grip when going in a straight line, or when trying to
get up hills. He said that the 2 sharp edges of the rims actually dig right in to the dirt going
round corners and grip really well.

I need my seat though - It's hard to smoke a doobie when pedalling stood up.

Tanks Phil - you gave me the best answer yet!

Shaun.

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2UD*[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like
> >FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too. I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it
> >all XTR where
they
> >make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> >Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> >the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> Parts aren't fast - legs are fast.

Yes! This is what I am trying to say - my parts are slow, but my legs are fast! These parts, I need
some that won't slow down my legs.

> At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be marginally lighter and much more
> expensive equipment as things wear out.

But I have the money now, and I might not still have the money later, so, why should I not just buy
them now?!?

Thanks!

Shaun.

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun R says:
>
> >Hi, I have some questions!
>
> And so do we..........

Questions, always with the questions! I am thinking, this is an American problem.

> <snip-de-dip>
>
> >Thanks again!
>
> You're welcome!
>
> Slow day in Nootronics-land???

No, it is become a very busy day, and it started this way as well! Sheesh.

Shaun aRe - you snipped the techies out ;-(

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions!
>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
> parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
> faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
> races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
> not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
> where I live - like I said, if it helps!

Your friend is obviously an idiot and a ******.

The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.

Kathleen

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

X-post snipped

> Hi, I have some questions!

Hello. Fire away.

> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.

Firstly, why are you writing like a Nigerian who's trying to get me to launder millions through my
bank account?

> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
> parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
> faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
> races next year, and I really want to do some races.

Better parts make you faster, it's true, and I think that if you're going to be racing, you're
looking at the wrong areas to upgrade. Firstly, your frame was designed by a kid with a crayon and
is designed for jumping off curbs. You want to look at a proper frame, and preferably one that's
red. Secondly, clipless pedals will not only save you weight, but they work better too - upgrading
to clipless is a must for racing. Finally, most time in racing is made up on the uphills, so you
want to be looking for something with a low rolling resistance, so get rid of your Massey
Fergusson rip-offs and go with a 1.95 tyre pumped up to a high pressure - somewhere around
50-60psi would be good.

> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?

An aero helmet, drilled out bottle cages and helium in the tyres.

>Hi, I have some questions!
>
>I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
>other peoples bikes.
>
>The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
>Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
>I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
>parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
>faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do races
>next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
>My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
>be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making the
>bike work faster than even XTR?
>
>Thanks.
>

>Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm not
>lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts where I
>live - like I said, if it helps!
>

>Thanks again!
>

>Shaun.

Paint it red.

-Andrew

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> > other peoples bikes.
> >
> > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> >
> > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
> > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> > the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > year, and I really want to do some races.
> >
> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
> > XTR?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
but
> > not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
them,
> > but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
> >

> Your friend is obviously an idiot and a ******.
>
> The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.

LOL! Heheheheheheh - thanks Kathleen, I needed that ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - snipped the techies, because they don't know how to laugh.

Kathleen wrote:

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Hi, I have some questions!
[snip]

> Your friend is obviously an idiot and a ******.
>
> The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.

Good point, I forgot about that.

phil

Dan Cosley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:2UD*[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Parts aren't fast - legs are fast.
> >
> > Yes! This is what I am trying to say - my parts are slow, but my legs
are
> > fast! These parts, I need some that won't slow down my legs.
> >
> >> At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be marginally lighter and much more
> >> expensive equipment as things wear out.
> >
> > But I have the money now, and I might not still have the money later,
so,
> > why should I not just buy them now?!?
>
> I think what David was suggesting is that you should look into surgery to have your legs replaced
> with faster ones.

I don't think that was what he was suggesting - that would be a stupid things to suggest. Anyway, my
legs have good speed.

Shaun.

| Hi, I have some questions!
|
| I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
| other peoples bikes.
|
| The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
| Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
|
| I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
| make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
| Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
| the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.
|
| My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
| make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
| better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
| XTR?
|
| Thanks.
|

| Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
but
| not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that
| many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
|

| Thanks again!
|

| Shaun.

Shut up and ride!

Nelz B riden!

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 6/5/2003

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> X-post snipped
>
> > Hi, I have some questions!
>
> Hello. Fire away.
>
> > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> > other peoples bikes.
> >
> > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> Firstly, why are you writing like a Nigerian who's trying to get me to launder millions through my
> bank account?

I am preparing for my next thread!

> > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
> > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> > the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> Better parts make you faster, it's true, and I think that if you're going to be racing, you're
> looking at the wrong areas to upgrade. Firstly, your frame was designed by a kid with a crayon and
> is designed for jumping off curbs.

These curbs wouldn't happen to be 40" doubles would they? ',;~P``````

> You want to look at a proper frame, and preferably one that's red. Secondly, clipless pedals will
> not only save you weight, but they work better too - upgrading to clipless is a must for racing.
> Finally, most time in racing is made up on the uphills, so you want to be looking for something
> with a low rolling resistance, so get rid of your Massey Fergusson rip-offs and go with a 1.95
> tyre pumped up to a high pressure - somewhere around 50-60psi would be good.

Now you are just proving your stupidity.

> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
> > XTR?
>
> An aero helmet, drilled out bottle cages and helium in the tyres.

I do not want to become a roadie scum bag.

Shaun

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message

> | Hi, I have some questions!
> |
> | I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> | other peoples bikes.
> |
> | The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> | name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> |
> | I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
> they
> | make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
> Thomson,
> | Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> | the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> | year, and I really want to do some races.
> |
> | My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
> parts
> | make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> | better parts for making the bike work faster than
> even
> | XTR?
> |
> | Thanks.
> |

> | Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
> but
> | not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
them,
> | but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
> |

> | Thanks again!
> |

> | Shaun.
>
> Shut up and ride!

Spoil sport!

> Nelz B riden!

Like a ho'!

Shaun

in article [email protected], Shaun Rimmer at [email protected] wrote on
11/6/03 1:29 pm:

>> Parts aren't fast - legs are fast.
>
> Yes! This is what I am trying to say - my parts are slow, but my legs are fast! These parts, I
> need some that won't slow down my legs.
>
>> At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be marginally lighter and much more
>> expensive equipment as things wear out.
>
> But I have the money now, and I might not still have the money later, so, why should I not just
> buy them now?!?

Don't buy lightweight parts. Lose some weight from your body instead, and spend the money you saved
on good beer. (with apologies to Keith Bontrager)