XTR parts and things like that.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0CF13B.12E11%[email protected]...
    > in article [email protected], Shaun Rimmer at [email protected] wrote on
    > 11/6/03 1:29 pm:
    >
    > >> Parts aren't fast - legs are fast.
    > >
    > > Yes! This is what I am trying to say - my parts are slow, but my legs
    are
    > > fast! These parts, I need some that won't slow down my legs.
    > >
    > >> At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be marginally lighter and much more
    > >> expensive equipment as things wear out.
    > >
    > > But I have the money now, and I might not still have the money later,
    so,
    > > why should I not just buy them now?!?
    >
    > Don't buy lightweight parts. Lose some weight from your body instead,

    I can't, I am not fat! I am weighing only 155-160 lbs and I am 6'1" tall!

    > and spend the money you saved on good beer.

    Ah - I like to spend money on good beer!

    > (with apologies to Keith Bontrager)

    Why, is he recommending buying bad beer?

    Shaun.

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>Firstly, why are you writing like a Nigerian who's trying to get me to launder millions through my
    >>bank account?
    >

    > I am preparing for my next thread!

    I'll PM you my bank details...

    >>Better parts make you faster, it's true, and I think that if you're going to be racing, you're
    >>looking at the wrong areas to upgrade. Firstly, your frame was designed by a kid with a crayon and
    >>is designed for jumping off curbs.
    >

    > These curbs wouldn't happen to be 40" doubles would they? ',;~P``````

    That just plain doesn't make sense. When are curbs doubles?

    So are you saying the bike's actually designed for 40" doubles?

    > I do not want to become a roadie scum bag.

    I thought that was the point of your post.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > >>Firstly, why are you writing like a Nigerian who's trying to get me to launder millions through
    > >>my bank account?
    > >

    > > I am preparing for my next thread!
    >
    > I'll PM you my bank details...

    Thanks, but you'd better be quick about it. And please, remember, we urge you for the utmost
    discretion in this matter.

    > >>Better parts make you faster, it's true, and I think that if you're going to be racing, you're
    > >>looking at the wrong areas to upgrade. Firstly, your frame was designed by a kid with a crayon
    > >>and is designed for jumping off curbs.
    > >

    > > These curbs wouldn't happen to be 40" doubles would they? ',;~P``````
    >
    > That just plain doesn't make sense. When are curbs doubles?
    >
    > So are you saying the bike's actually designed for 40" doubles?

    Typo - meant to put 40'.

    > > I do not want to become a roadie scum bag.
    >
    > I thought that was the point of your post.

    Liar! You know damned well what the point of my post was ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  4. Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    [snip]

    > Liar! You know damned well what the point of my post was ',;~}~
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Stupid mountain biker. you must always use CAPITALS when you write LIAR otherwise people might take
    you seriously.

    Phil

    Campaigning for a car free habitat for mountain Bikers www.totalwanker.co.uk

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    in article [email protected], Shaun Rimmer at [email protected] wrote on
    11/6/03 3:10 pm:

    >> Don't buy lightweight parts. Lose some weight from your body instead,
    >
    > I can't, I am not fat! I am weighing only 155-160 lbs and I am 6'1" tall!
    >
    >> and spend the money you saved on good beer.
    >
    > Ah - I like to spend money on good beer!
    >
    >> (with apologies to Keith Bontrager)
    >
    > Why, is he recommending buying bad beer?
    >
    > Shaun.

    No, he recommends that you can lose weight from anything that isn't part of your heart, lungs
    and quads.

    So you could cut your cock off and save a couple of ounces...

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Phil.Winterbourne <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > >
    > > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > >
    > [snip]
    > >
    > > Liar! You know damned well what the point of my post was ',;~}~
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > Stupid mountain biker. you must always use CAPITALS when you write LIAR otherwise people might
    > take you seriously.

    What do you mean? - It took me long enough just to figure out how to spell
    it.

    Shaun aRe

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0D039E.12E2A%[email protected]...
    > in article [email protected], Shaun Rimmer at [email protected] wrote on
    > 11/6/03 3:10 pm:
    >
    > >> Don't buy lightweight parts. Lose some weight from your body instead,
    > >
    > > I can't, I am not fat! I am weighing only 155-160 lbs and I am 6'1"
    tall!

    > >> and spend the money you saved on good beer.
    > >
    > > Ah - I like to spend money on good beer!
    > >
    > >> (with apologies to Keith Bontrager)
    > >
    > > Why, is he recommending buying bad beer?
    > >
    > > Shaun.
    >
    > No, he recommends that you can lose weight from anything that isn't part
    of
    > your heart, lungs and quads.
    >
    > So you could cut your cock off and save a couple of ounces...

    I thank you for the wisdom of your experience.

    Shaun aRe

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >Hi, I have some questions! I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed
    >slow to me compared to other peoples bikes.

    It's always the motors fault when your bike is slower than others.

    >The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
    >Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.

    Unless your parts are damaged, it doesn't make a big difference.

    >I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
    >parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
    >faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do races
    >next year, and I really want to do some races.

    Your friend is a salesman's wet dream.

    >My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
    >be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making the
    >bike work faster than even XTR?

    Of course not. You are better off spending the money on getting yourself fitter. You could do that
    by hiring a coach or joining a gym or maybe giving yourself a vacation in a warm spot during the
    cold months so that you get more ride time in.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  9. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:30:54 -0500, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Your friend is obviously an idiot and a wanker.
    >
    >The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.

    Wrong! The only really fast color is white. It never runs.

  10. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Hi, I have some questions!
    >
    > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
    > other peoples bikes.
    >
    > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
    > Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
    >
    > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
    > parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
    > faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
    > races next year, and I really want to do some races.
    >
    > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
    > be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
    > the bike work faster than even XTR?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
    > not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
    > where I live - like I said, if it helps!
    >

    > Thanks again!
    >

    > Shaun.

    Paint choice can have a much greater effect than any part ever could. For example: Yellow paint
    is the fastest solid color because it resides in the middle of the visual spectrum. The middle of
    the spectrum has the least amount of photoresistance (that's why yellow is so easy to see), so
    you'll glide right through the endless barage of photons. You'll really notice the difference on
    a sunny day.

    Color combinations are tricker and beyond the scope of this post. In a nutshell, you can manipulate
    the flow of photons much like an aero engineer would tweak the flow of air around an airplane. As
    engineers gain a better understanding of these prinicples paint jobs get more complicated. Thats why
    multi colored bikes with complex graphics are far more common these days.

    As a side note, that's why rodies and racers are so colorful, they have a understanding of the
    basics of photodynamics.

  11. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > Of course not. You are better off spending the money on getting yourself fitter. You could do that
    > by hiring a coach or joining a gym or maybe giving yourself a vacation in a warm spot during the
    > cold months so that you get more ride time in.

    Is it possible that even this direct answer understates the case? I'd say that these new parts will
    make ZERO difference in your speed. I've had my ass kicked by fast guys on bikes that are nowhere
    near as jazzy as mine. The only fast bikes are bikes with fast riders.

    Rick

  12. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Hi, I have some questions!
    >
    > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
    > other peoples bikes.
    >
    > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
    > Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
    >
    > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
    > parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
    > faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
    > races next year, and I really want to do some races.
    >
    > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
    > be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
    > the bike work faster than even XTR?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
    > not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
    > where I live - like I said, if it helps!
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Shaun.

    Okay.... Shaun I am going to give you the secret of speed... and all it takes is a drill... that's
    right a drill.... Take your drill and a smallish bit and start by drilling as many holes on your
    bike as you can... Now don't drill all the way through... just drill into the surface about
    halfway... cause drilling through would weaken the bike too much... cover the entire frame in drill
    holes... Then drill your cranks.. the handlebar, stem and saddle and lastly... don't ever let anyone
    know I let you in on this secret.. Drill the rims too... By the end of your drilling session you
    should have a rather large pile if metal shavings... If you weigh that you will find that you will
    have knocked pounds and pounds off your bike... You should be loads and loads faster....

    Jimbo...trust me...(san)

  13. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Hi, I have some questions!
    >
    > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
    > other peoples bikes.
    >
    > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
    > Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
    >
    > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
    they
    > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
    Thomson,
    > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
    > the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.
    >
    > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
    parts
    > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
    > better parts for making the bike work faster than
    even
    > XTR?

    Just ride in front of Brock Bailey.

    Bill "that would make ME faster" S.

    (With apologies to Wreck Tech, if they didn't get the latest post from "Chief Flaming Big Balls".)

  14. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:2UD*[email protected]...

    > Parts aren't fast - legs are fast. At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be
    > marginally lighter and much more expensive equipment as things wear out.

    He is right. XTR will not put a middle of the packer on the winner's whatever that thing is called.
    If you are running in th emoney, then it makes sense to go XTR. Now if you just want to ├╝imp your
    bike out, that is also ok.

    -Dave

  15. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Kathleen" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...

    > Your friend is obviously an idiot and a wanker.
    >
    > The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.

    You are clueless!

    Orange cables!

    -Dave

  16. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...

    > An aero helmet, drilled out bottle cages and helium in the tyres.

    Why He? Hydrogen is lighter? (Especially if you race on a hot day).

    -Dave

  17. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...

    > Okay.... Shaun I am going to give you the secret of speed... and all it takes is a
    drill...
    > that's right a drill.... Take your drill and a smallish bit and start by drilling as many holes on
    your
    > bike as you can... Now don't drill all the way through... just drill into
    the
    > surface about halfway... cause drilling through would weaken the bike too much... cover the entire
    > frame in drill holes... Then drill your cranks..
    the
    > handlebar, stem and saddle and lastly... don't ever let anyone know I let
    you in
    > on this secret.. Drill the rims too... By the end of your drilling session
    you
    > should have a rather large pile if metal shavings... If you weigh that you
    will
    > find that you will have knocked pounds and pounds off your bike... You
    should be
    > loads and loads faster....

    Post this on a roadie board, talk about the aerodynamic advantages (think golfballs) and I think you
    have the basis for a good troll. If you do this, I want to know about it.

    -Dave

  18. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > as mine. The only fast bikes are bikes with fast riders.

    Funny thing is that my fastest bike (on a times course) is a crappy old hardtail with an Indy C fork
    and a bunch of Alivo and STX parts.

    It is red though!

    -Dave

  19. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    > make me fast enough to be able to race

    Just say no to racing, lol! You'll feel a lot better in the end eh. You still want to race and go
    fast? Ok, a little typical RR for the week. A few of us are training for a nasty little race here in
    the Rockies so we've ramped up the mileage. Short rides are usually 5 hours, long rides (at least 2
    per week) are 8 to 10 hours. Usually the vertical is anywhere from 6 to 10K feet. This will either
    make you really fast (long distance that
    is) or quit biking. One thing's for sure, all your parts will wear out really fast. So do like we
    do, buy cheap and be happy LOL! XTR is for posers or sponsored riders.

    SB

  20. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:32:49 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >> > Hi, I have some questions!

    snip
    >> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
    >parts
    >> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
    >> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
    >even
    >> > XTR?

    snip

    >> Your friend is obviously an idiot and a wanker.
    >>
    >> The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.
    >
    >LOL! Heheheheheheh - thanks Kathleen, I needed that ',;~}~
    >

    >Shaun aRe - snipped the techies, because they don't know how to laugh.

    paint the rear wheel red and the other black. As soon as you start to move one the rear wheel will
    always be travelling faster the other, if my understanding of physics is correct you will accelerate
    to the speed of light and beyond :)