XTR parts and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I have some questions!
>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
> make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.

Hey, your friend can see in to the future.

>
> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
> make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
> XTR?

Sure thing, I can guarantee that. I have a friend 178 kilos, never moved a muscle for other than
feeding. One day he said to me, "I want to race MTB professionally". What I said? Piece of cake,
actually for him, a whole cake. You buy the most expensive and most lighter bike on the world and
there you go. Actually all the racers do that. And now he is on the way to be a world champion.
Moreover he said he will buy one road bike too, and go for Lance.

>
> Thanks.

Nothing at all, it was my pleasure.

>
>
> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
but
> not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that
> many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!

Certainly it helps, it is pure luck that you remember to mention that, now we have time to save you.
AVOID FLAT AT ALL COST. NEVER, NEVER RIDE FLAT. When you see flat, stop immediately, and carry your
bike over the flat part. NEVER PUSH BIKE, YOU MUST CARRY IT. And when you come home, never leave the
bike flat! Hang it, elevate one wheel, whatever, just not flat. Flat is bad. If it's XTR and most
expensive, offcourse. Other bike will survive flat.

>
>
> Thanks again!

Nothing at all, what the bike-newsgroup-buddy is for?

>
>
> Shaun.

D'amir

> buy cheap and be happy

Says the man riding a Colnago C40 ;-)

>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
>
they
Thomson,
> Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
parts
> make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
even
> XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
but
> not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that
>
>
> Thanks again!
>
>
> Shaun.

well maybe if your bike wasn't designed by a 12 year old... ;)

Jon Bond

"Rich" wrote:

> Paint choice can have a much greater effect than any part ever could.

This is indisputably true.

> For example: Yellow paint is the fastest solid color because it resides in the middle of the
> visual spectrum. The middle of the spectrum has the least amount of photoresistance (that's why
> yellow is so easy to see), so you'll glide right through the endless barage of photons. You'll
> really notice the difference on a sunny day.

I'd like to think this pseudo-scientific nonsense is just based on ignorance of basic photophysics,
and not to think that it's intentional disinformation designed to sabotage your competitors.

Extensive research hath shown that red bicycles are the fastest. This is because red is the color
with the longest wavelength.

Black is also a pretty fast color, because actually most "black" paints aren't actually truly
black--they're infrared, but the human eyeball can't see infrared, so they're perceived as "black."

By the way, "Rich", bragging about your personal wealth is in very poor taste!

Carapace Completed Umber Redmond, Washington +--------------------------------------------------+
| If you have ties to Greater Boston, you might | enjoy a classic reproduction street map: |
| http://communityheritagemaps.com |
+--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

>
<snip lots that's already been included in 5 dozen replies> Well Shaun, you win the prize for
getting most replies to a thread query..... I've read through most of the replies but not all, so
not certain whether or not these solutions have been offered. If it has, apologies, if not..... Back
in the day one used to be able to get 'go faster stripes' for cars. You could buy them and apply
them after buying the car and they actually made the car go faster. It may be possible that some
bright spark has spotted the gap in the market and may even now be preparing to market them for
MTBs....(if not...well...) Alternately my better half suggests lolly sticks on the spokes. You may
not actually be going faster but you certainly sound like you're going faster. It's all down to
psychology on the racetrack ;-) HTH Dave & Wife.

But photons have no mass so I don't think any of us have to worry about getting slowed down by them.
Can you feel an x-ray? I don't think so!!!

Barn Barn

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>"Rich" wrote:
>
>> Paint choice can have a much greater effect than any part ever could.
>
>This is indisputably true.
>
>> For example: Yellow paint is the fastest solid color because it resides in the middle of the
>> visual spectrum. The middle of the spectrum has the least amount of photoresistance (that's why
>> yellow is so easy to see), so you'll glide right through the endless barage of photons. You'll
>> really notice the difference on a sunny day.
>
>I'd like to think this pseudo-scientific nonsense is just based on ignorance of basic photophysics,
>and not to think that it's intentional disinformation designed to sabotage your competitors.
>
>Extensive research hath shown that red bicycles are the fastest. This is because red is the color
>with the longest wavelength.
>
>Black is also a pretty fast color, because actually most "black" paints aren't actually truly
>black--they're infrared, but the human eyeball can't see infrared, so they're perceived as "black."
>
>By the way, "Rich", bragging about your personal wealth is in very poor taste!
>
>Carapace Completed Umber Redmond, Washington +--------------------------------------------------+
>| If you have ties to Greater Boston, you might | enjoy a classic reproduction street map: |
>| http://communityheritagemaps.com |
>+--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
>Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> I'd like to think this pseudo-scientific nonsense is just based on ignorance of basic
> photophysics, and not to think that it's intentional disinformation designed to sabotage your
> competitors.
>
Indeed not, and I'm insulted by the accusation. My "rich" knowledge comes from hours of
contemplation during boring road rides.

> Extensive research hath shown that red bicycles are the fastest. This is because red is the color
> with the longest wavelength.
>
I'm sorry Mr. Brown but you are incorrect (though I would like to see this "research"). Neither
short nor long wavelengths are advantageous. A longer wavelength has a constant pulling effect much
like a steady breeze while the constant pounding of shorter waves is obviously not what you want.
Instead, the middle ground offers the best alternative. Of course multi color schemes allow the
harnessing of the best and worst qualities of each color as appropriate.

> Black is also a pretty fast color, because actually most "black" paints aren't actually truly
> black--they're infrared, but the human eyeball can't see infrared, so they're perceived as
> "black."
>
Well, since black isn't even a color I don't quite know how to reply. Perhaps we can save you the
embarrassment, pretend like you didn't say that and move on.

> By the way, "Rich", bragging about your personal wealth is in very poor taste!
>
noted

=======================
Rich "Haven't found a good name or sig yet"

> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?
>

Everything else being equal, if you want faster uphill, go lighter, downhill, get more travel.

light weight, durability, low cost, pick any two :)

-bruce

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:13:29 +0200, "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> scribbled:

>"bomba" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
>
>> An aero helmet, drilled out bottle cages and helium in the tyres.
>>
> Why He? Hydrogen is lighter? (Especially if you race on a hot day).
>
>-Dave

It'll really light a fire underneath you. The competition won't see but a glowing streak riding
by, I tell ya. Just remember to watch out for whipsnakes, they're sensitive creatures and should
not be teased.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2UD*[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like
> >FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too. I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it
> >all XTR where
they
> >make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> >Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> >the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> Parts aren't fast - legs are fast. At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be
> marginally lighter and much more expensive equipment as things wear out.
> --
> David Damerell <[email protected]> Distortion Field!
David is right, Legs make you fast. There is a doctor here in Tucson who can sew on an extra set of
legs for a pretty good price. Finding doners can be a problem however.

>
> other peoples bikes.
>
>
they
Thomson,
>
parts
even
> XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
but
>
>
> Thanks again!
>
>
> Shaun.
>

Shaun you are a fool, your parts are reliable, strong and functional - no one really needs XTR. The
reason you are going slow is because you have been pedalling in the opposite direction to the earths
rotation, you have been going against the tide. All you need to do is turn your bike around and ride
in the opposite direction. Fair enough to get back home you need to ride 23990 miles instead of 10
but Considering the earth rotates at around 800 miles per hour at the approximate latitude of
Preston you will almost certainly notice the difference this makes.

Steve E.

>
> David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > > Hi, I have some questions!
> > >
> > > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has
seemed
> > > slow to me compared to other peoples bikes.
> > >
> > > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
> other
> > > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> > >
> > > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR
where
> they
> > > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
> Thomson,
> > > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I
do
> > > this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do races
> next
> > > year, and I really want to do some races.
> > >
> > > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
> parts
> > > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them
of
> > > course), or are there better parts for making the bike work faster
than
> even
> > > XTR?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > >
> > > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as
well,
> but
> > > not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
> them,
> > > but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if
it
> > > helps!
> > >
> > >
> > > Thanks again!
> > >
> > >
> > > Shaun.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > I'd guess that it has more to do with the rider than the parts
>
> Thank you David, but I don't understand? I am fast without the bike?

Yes, Shaun. You are fast. But David is slow.

>
> >-- unless the parts are really bad.
>
> Thay are! I have some Deore and some Deore LX!

You are right. These are bad parts. Remove them all, place them in a big brown box. Now, remove the
rest of the parts, and again, place them all in a big brown box . Finally, to ensure that you have
full removed all the bad parts, remove the frame, and place it in another bigger brown box. Finally,
and you KNOW that you want to, ensure that the boxes have the approriate postage and send the boxes
to me. I will be able to tell you where you went wrong by carefully and thorough examination of the
bad parts.

>
> > In other words, get faster with what you have and then, as parts wear out, replace them with
> > better components.
>
> I think they must sell these parts already worn out!

Yes! They are NO GOOD anymore. See above for my good advice on what to do.

>
>
> Shaun.
>
> P.s. - Which is the fastest gear to be in?

It depends on whether or not you are racing. And whether or not you are riding on flat stuff, or
hilly stuff, or other stuff. There is a lot of stuff that affects stuff like this stuff. Stuffed
parts affect this stuff too. See above for my good advice on what to do with stuffed parts.

--
Westie

"Todd B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:6qQFa.80182$MJ5.75434@fed1read03...
>
> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:2UD*[email protected]...
> > Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > >name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too. I have some more money now, and I am thinking,
> > >to make it all XTR where
> they
> > >make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
> Thomson,
> > >Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used
> > >to the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > >year, and I really want to do some races.
> >
> > Parts aren't fast - legs are fast. At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be
> > marginally lighter and much more expensive equipment as things wear out.
> > --
> > David Damerell <[email protected]> Distortion Field!
> David is right, Legs make you fast. There is a doctor here in Tucson who
can
> sew on an extra set of legs for a pretty good price. Finding doners can be
a
> problem however.
>
>

You can have mine... I don't use them anyway.
--
Westie

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Kathleen" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
>
> > Your friend is obviously an idiot and a ******.
> >
> > The best way to make your bike faster is to paint it red.
> >
>
> You are clueless!
>
>
>
> Orange cables!
>
>
>
> -Dave
>
>

None of you really know what you're talking about. Everyone knows blue must be the fastest. Get rid
of what you've got now. (See above for my very good advice on what to do with stuffed parts). Blue
Treks is fastest bike in the universe.. Especially if its a Liquid. Because it's like that blue
Liquid they use on the tellie. And then you can put wings on your blue Trek (or your fore-head if
you prefer). Ta Duh! Done. Wings = fastest.
--
Westie

"Slash" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:13:29 +0200, "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> scribbled:
>
> >"bomba" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> An aero helmet, drilled out bottle cages and helium in the tyres.
> >>
> > Why He? Hydrogen is lighter? (Especially if you race on a hot day).
> >
> >-Dave
>
> It'll really light a fire underneath you. The competition won't see but a glowing streak riding
> by, I tell ya. Just remember to watch out for whipsnakes, they're sensitive creatures and should
> not be teased.
>
> -Slash
> --
> "Ebert Victorious"
>
> - The Onion

He Hy Ho hum. Legumes and pulses are the answer. Carbohydrates and methane jet exhaust will help you
win. Jury-rig a Zippo (TM) flint and wheel assemble to the seat stays for automatic ignition system.
Redefine the definition of being flamed....
--
Westie

Never mind all this drivetrain and wheels. Real mountain bikers run around the woods holding an
unbuilt frame between their legs. In the nude. Whilst smoking a pipe.

When they're not sodomising small dogs for fun, you understand.

Andy Chequer

>
> other peoples bikes.
>
>
they
Thomson,
>
parts
even
> XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
but
>
>
> Thanks again!
>
>
> Shaun.
>

Shaun you are a fool, your parts are reliable, strong and functional - no one really needs XTR.

The REAL reason you are going slow is because you have been pedalling in the opposite direction to
the earths rotation, you have been going against the tide. All you need to do is turn your bike
around and ride in the opposite direction. Fair enough to get back home you need to ride 23990 miles
instead of 10 but Considering the earth rotates at around 800 miles per hour at the approximate
latitude of Preston you will almost certainly notice the difference this makes.

Steve E.

( re-sent because the original didn't show up on google)

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
> parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
> even
> > XTR?
>
> Just ride in front of Brock Bailey.
>
> Bill "that would make ME faster" S.

ROFLMAO

> (With apologies to Wreck Tech, if they didn't get the latest post from "Chief Flaming Big Balls".)

Status
Not open for further replies.