XTR parts and things like that.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> > other peoples bikes.
> >
> > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> >
> > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
> they
> > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
> Thomson,
> > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> > the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > year, and I really want to do some races.
> >
> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
> parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
> even
> > XTR?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
> but
> > not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
them,
> > but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
> >

> > Thanks again!
> >

> > Shaun.
> >

> Shaun you are a fool, your parts are reliable, strong and functional - no one really needs XTR.
> The reason you are going slow is because you have
been
> pedalling in the opposite direction to the earths rotation, you have been going against the tide.
> All you need to do is turn your bike around and
ride
> in the opposite direction. Fair enough to get back home you need to ride 23990 miles instead of 10
> but Considering the earth rotates at around 800 miles per hour at the approximate latitude of
> Preston you will almost certainly notice the difference this makes.

Even uphill?

Shaun aRe

wanguard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Certainly it helps, it is pure luck that you remember to mention that, now we have time to save
> you. AVOID FLAT AT ALL COST. NEVER, NEVER RIDE FLAT. When you see flat, stop immediately, and
> carry your bike over the flat
part.
> NEVER PUSH BIKE, YOU MUST CARRY IT. And when you come home, never leave
the
> bike flat! Hang it, elevate one wheel, whatever, just not flat. Flat is
bad.
> If it's XTR and most expensive, offcourse. Other bike will survive flat.
>

> > Thanks again!
>
> Nothing at all, what the bike-newsgroup-buddy is for?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Heheheheheh.............ahem.

Dave Stocker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:2UD*[email protected]...
>
> > Parts aren't fast - legs are fast. At most I would do replacement with what would presumably be
> > marginally lighter and much more expensive equipment as things wear out.
>
> He is right. XTR will not put a middle of the packer on the winner's whatever that thing is
> called. If you are running in th emoney, then it makes sense to go XTR. Now if you just want to
> üimp your bike out, that
is
> also ok.
>
> -Dave

Now, I shall have to sulk for some time.

Shaun aRe

Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > I'd guess that it has more to do with the rider than the parts
> >
> > Thank you David, but I don't understand? I am fast without the bike?
>
> Yes, Shaun. You are fast. But David is slow.

I fear there may be no coffee in Kuntzville.

> > >-- unless the parts are really bad.
> >
> > Thay are! I have some Deore and some Deore LX!
>
> You are right. These are bad parts. Remove them all, place them in a big brown box. Now, remove
> the rest of the parts, and again, place them all
in
> a big brown box . Finally, to ensure that you have full removed all the
bad
> parts, remove the frame, and place it in another bigger brown box.
Finally,
> and you KNOW that you want to, ensure that the boxes have the approriate postage and send the
> boxes to me. I will be able to tell you where you
went
> wrong by carefully and thorough examination of the bad parts.

I like your idea in theory, but in all practicality, I dislike it intensely.

> > > In other words, get faster with what you have and then, as parts wear out, replace them with
> > > better components.
> >
> > I think they must sell these parts already worn out!
>
> Yes! They are NO GOOD anymore. See above for my good advice on what to
do.

See above for my reason for declining.

> > Shaun.
> >
> > P.s. - Which is the fastest gear to be in?
>
> It depends on whether or not you are racing. And whether or not you are riding on flat stuff, or
> hilly stuff, or other stuff. There is a lot of stuff that affects stuff like this stuff. Stuffed
> parts affect this stuff too. See above for my good advice on what to do with stuffed parts.

I thank you for your attentiveness to my quandary.

Shaun aRe

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:06:16 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]>
scribbled:

>"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi, I have some questions!
>>
>> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
>> other peoples bikes.
>>
>> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
>> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>>
>> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
>they
>> make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
>Thomson,
>> Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
>> the faster parts, I may be able to do races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>>
>> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
>parts
>> make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
>> better parts for making the bike work faster than
>even
>> XTR?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
>but
>> not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that
>> many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
>>

>> Thanks again!
>>

>> Shaun.
>>

>Shaun you are a fool, your parts are reliable, strong and functional - no one really needs XTR.
>
>The REAL reason you are going slow is because you have been pedalling in the opposite direction to
>the earths rotation, you have been going against the tide. All you need to do is turn your bike
>around and ride in the opposite direction. Fair enough to get back home you need to ride 23990
>miles instead of 10 but Considering the earth rotates at around 800 miles per hour at the
>approximate latitude of Preston you will almost certainly notice the difference this makes.
>
>Steve E.
>
>( re-sent because the original didn't show up on google)

That and he's got nearly 4kg's of 2.6"+ rubber on his wheels! Nutter... :)

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

Dave <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> <snip lots that's already been included in 5 dozen replies> Well Shaun, you win the prize for
> getting most replies to a thread query.....

Most fish, they are running from stinky bait. This bait, it has some honey maybe? ',;~}~

> I've read through most of the replies but not all, so not certain whether
or
> not these solutions have been offered. If it has, apologies, if not..... Back in the day one used
> to be able to get 'go faster stripes' for cars.
You
> could buy them and apply them after buying the car and they actually made the car go faster. It
> may be possible that some bright spark has spotted
the
> gap in the market and may even now be preparing to market them for MTBs....(if not...well...)

Stripes are to make big people look bigger.

> Alternately my better half suggests lolly sticks on the spokes. You may
not
> actually be going faster but you certainly sound like you're going faster. It's all down to
> psychology on the racetrack ;-) HTH Dave & Wife.

This reminds me of my old 3 speed road bike (when I was younger). I mounted an oval TV speaker under
the back of the seat, and connected it to the AC dynamo. I would go fast down the hill, then when I
was about to catch some other kid on a bike, I would kick the dynamo onto the tyre. I would pass
them easily as they stopped to clean up their underwear. Heheheheheheheh...........

Shaun aRe 'The Spawn of Satan's Pet Frog' >',;~}~

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Never mind all this drivetrain and wheels. Real mountain bikers run around the woods holding an
> unbuilt frame between their legs. In the nude. Whilst smoking a pipe.
>
> When they're not sodomising small dogs for fun, you understand.
>
> Andy Chequer

I have actually tried this, and while I moved very fast for a small time, I was shortly thereafter
restricted to moving slowly within a 9' x 14' space.

Shaun aRe

Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:06:16 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]>
> scribbled:
>

> >"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >The REAL reason you are going slow is because you have been pedalling in the opposite direction
> >to the earths rotation, you have been going against the tide. All you need to do is turn your
> >bike around and
ride
> >in the opposite direction. Fair enough to get back home you need to ride 23990 miles instead of
> >10 but Considering the earth rotates at around 800 miles per hour at the approximate latitude of
> >Preston you will almost certainly notice the difference this makes.
> >
> >Steve E.
> >
> >( re-sent because the original didn't show up on google)
>
> That and he's got nearly 4kg's of 2.6"+ rubber on his wheels! Nutter... :)

I am a nutter, but not because of that. I'd still whip yo' butt, on or off the bike (I know where I
can borrow a riding crop suitable for the job).

Shaun aRe very proud of his rubber.

> Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5dMFa.910234$OV.843771@rwcrnsc54...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Thanks again!
> > >

> > > Shaun.
> >
> > well maybe if your bike wasn't designed by a 12 year old... ;)
>
> I'm still faster than you, since you are currently riding Bomba's
bandwagon
> ',;~P`````````
>

> Shaun aRe

Mostly because I currently have on unbuilt bike and one (probably) broken one - and one with really
skinny tires. ick.

Jon Bond

"Dave Stocker" wrote :
> Why He? Hydrogen is lighter? (Especially if you race on a hot day).

Good point. You also get more bang for the buck.

Actually I believe they would both diffuse out of the tube over time, as they're so much smaller
than nitrogen/oxygen in air. Matt

Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Mr0Ga.117613$d51.188759@sccrnsc01...

> > Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > well maybe if your bike wasn't designed by a 12 year old... ;)
> >
> > I'm still faster than you, since you are currently riding Bomba's
> bandwagon
> > ',;~P`````````
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> Mostly because I currently have on unbuilt bike

Then build it!

> and one (probably) broken one -

Yeah, cracks suck........scratch that.........ahem.

You could try removing some of the bubblegum from your new bike and putting it over the crack on
the old one.

Altrnatively, raid the old bike for parts to build the new one up while you are waiting for the
'posh' new parts to arrive. No retreat, no surren.....I mean no excuses........

> and one with really skinny tires. ick.

With your skinny butt what does it matter?

> Jon Bond

Have fun Jon!

Shaun aRe

Matt J <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Stocker" wrote :
> > Why He? Hydrogen is lighter? (Especially if you race on a hot day).
>
> Good point. You also get more bang for the buck.
>
> Actually I believe they would both diffuse out of the tube over time, as they're so much smaller
> than nitrogen/oxygen in air. Matt

Verbal testicles from you!

The gas molecules would need to be smaller than the spaces between the [insert frame material], and
that ain't gonna happen.

Shaun aRe

> Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > I'm still faster than you, since you are currently riding Bomba's
> > bandwagon
> > > ',;~P`````````
> > >

> > > Shaun aRe
> >
> > Mostly because I currently have on unbuilt bike
>
> Then build it!

I should have the rest of my parts (minus wheels) coming later this week. And its raining
anyway... again.

> > and one (probably) broken one -
>
> Yeah, cracks suck........scratch that.........ahem.
>
> You could try removing some of the bubblegum from your new bike and
putting
> it over the crack on the old one.

Tried. The black looks bad ;)

> Altrnatively, raid the old bike for parts to build the new one up while
you
> are waiting for the 'posh' new parts to arrive. No retreat, no
surren.....I
> mean no excuses........

Different size stuff - BB and seatpost. Also, disc vs. non disc. Depending on how long my wheels
take to build up though, I might set it up with v brakes until then. I'm already stealing the
headset, bars, and stem from the old one. Maybe I'll strip the cracked (?) bike today so we can send
it to GF for them to take a peek.

> > and one with really skinny tires. ick.
>
> With your skinny butt what does it matter?

They don't work so well on rocks, what with the 110psi and 700x23 size ;)

> > Jon Bond
>
> Have fun Jon!
>
> Shaun aRe

If it would ever stop raining I would. Take yer blimey weather back, you buncha wankers!

Jon Bond

Matt J wrote:
> "Dave Stocker" wrote :
>
>> Why He? Hydrogen is lighter? (Especially if you race on a hot day).
>

> Good point. You also get more bang for the buck.
>
> Actually I believe they would both diffuse out of the tube over time, as they're so much smaller
> than nitrogen/oxygen in air.

Yep. Helium and hydrogen are little bitty slippery molecules. Seems like I remember reading
somewhere that space suits are tested for air-tightness by inflating them with helium, since leaks
showed up quicker than with air.

Kathleen

news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, I have some questions!
>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
> parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
> faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
> races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
> not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
> where I live - like I said, if it helps!
>

> Thanks again!
>

> Shaun.

How'd I miss this post? And what makes you think you have to lighten up to race? The idiots that
take this weight thing to the extreme are not right in the head. Just talk to one of them about his
Ti bolts and his spoke nipples. You'll swear he should be locked up some where.

So here you go, buddy. This is free:

Take a **** before lining up for Pete's sake and you'll drop about $200 worth of titanium. Then race
and have fun. And if you have to spend money, send it to me, if it makes you feel better. IMNSHO,
racing is more about staying focused, not being intimidated and having fun beating your guts out,
leaving nothing on the table.

Now tell me that you've gotten better (and cheaper) advice than that? I dare ya.

Paladin

news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, I have some questions!
>
> I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> other peoples bikes.
>
> The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX, other name parts like FSA,
> Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
>
> I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where they make those kinds of
> parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like Thomson, Raceface and things like that to make it
> faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to the faster parts, I may be able to do
> races next year, and I really want to do some races.
>
> My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of parts make me fast enough to
> be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there better parts for making
> the bike work faster than even XTR?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well, but not just down (I'm
> not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find them, but we don't have that many flat parts
> where I live - like I said, if it helps!
>

> Thanks again!
>

> Shaun.

Actually according to the MTB magazines that I read religiously, a Chris King headset in a colorful
anodized purple hue will make your bike steer better, roll faster, ascend like a mountain goat,
descend like it is on rails, brake more reliably, ride like a full sus. rig and will prevent pinch
flats and dehydration.

Brad Vaughn I don't have a CK headset but will get one if I choose to challenge Lance in the Tour
this year.

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi, I have some questions!
> >
> > I thought my bike, it was a good bike, better than OK, but it has seemed slow to me compared to
> > other peoples bikes.
> >
> > The parts, they are a mixture - there is some Deore, some Deore LX,
other
> > name parts like FSA, Wellgo, Mavic, Outland too.
> >
> > I have some more money now, and I am thinking, to make it all XTR where
they
> > make those kinds of parts for it, but otherwise, to use things like
Thomson,
> > Raceface and things like that to make it faster. My friend says if I do this, when I get used to
> > the faster parts, I may be able to do races
next
> > year, and I really want to do some races.
> >
> > My questions are, my friend, was he right? I mean, will these sort of
parts
> > make me fast enough to be able to race (when after I get used to them of course), or are there
> > better parts for making the bike work faster than
even
> > XTR?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Oh yes - if it makes a difference I ride up some hills and down as well,
but
> > not just down (I'm not lazy), and I ride some flat parts when I find
them,
> > but we don't have that many flat parts where I live - like I said, if it helps!
> >

> > Thanks again!
> >

> > Shaun.
>

> How'd I miss this post?

Head in a dark and smelly place? Heheheheh ',;~}~

> And what makes you think you have to lighten up to race?

You do realise where I was coming from dontcha? Please tell me _you_ didn't buy it?!?!?!?

> The idiots that take this weight thing to the extreme are not right in the head.

That was my point...........

> Just talk to one of them about his Ti bolts and his spoke nipples.

Hey - I have a Ti steel tube right down the centre of my left femur, from hip to knee. When I try to
run, I spin in clock-wise circles - don't you _dare_ tell me Ti isn't faster.

> You'll swear he should be locked up some where.

I swear that about most people......

> So here you go, buddy. This is free:
>
> Take a **** before lining up for Pete's sake

On his 'post'? Sure he'd appreciate that, but even with my physical advantages and level of
accuracy, it's a bit far to stretch it to.........heheheheh.......

> and you'll drop about $200 worth of titanium. Then race and have fun. And if you have to spend
> money, send it to me, if it makes you feel better. IMNSHO, racing is more about staying focused,
> not being intimidated and having fun beating your guts out, leaving nothing on the table.
>
> Now tell me that you've gotten better (and cheaper) advice than that? I dare ya.

I don't actually want to race, at all, otherwise it'd be great advice ',;~}~

Cheers Mr. B!

I have to go pee now...........

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>Actually I believe they would both diffuse out of the tube over time, as they're so much smaller
>>than nitrogen/oxygen in air. Matt
>

> Verbal testicles from you!
>
> The gas molecules would need to be smaller than the spaces between the [insert frame material],
> and that ain't gonna happen.

Frame material? We're talking about inner tubes.

Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nj1Ga.167367$M01.79240@sccrnsc02...

> > > bandwagon

> > > Mostly because I currently have on unbuilt bike
> >
> > Then build it!
>
> I should have the rest of my parts (minus wheels) coming later this week.

Good news Meester Bownd!

> And its raining anyway... again.

Oh shucks - get an umbrella.

> > > and one (probably) broken one -
> >
> > Yeah, cracks suck........scratch that.........ahem.
> >
> > You could try removing some of the bubblegum from your new bike and
> putting
> > it over the crack on the old one.
>
> Tried. The black looks bad ;)

Heheheheheh - fashion victim!

> > Altrnatively, raid the old bike for parts to build the new one up while
> you
> > are waiting for the 'posh' new parts to arrive. No retreat, no
> surren.....I
> > mean no excuses........
>
> Different size stuff - BB and seatpost. Also, disc vs. non disc.
Depending
> on how long my wheels take to build up though, I might set it up with v brakes until then.

This is what happened when I was collecting parts to build up the BASE frame - I ran out of money
then I ran out of patience - stripped the old bike to build it up with V's etc. Had to make a shim
for the seat post and juggle/jury rig a few bits (including ripping an old friction shifter off an
ancient steel road machine to run the rear mech). Had some fun still, before I got the rest of the
new parts to finish the job properly.

> I'm already stealing the headset, bars, and stem from the old one. Maybe I'll strip the cracked
> (?) bike today so we can send
it
> to GF for them to take a peek.

Good luck with that Jon.

> > > and one with really skinny tires. ick.
> >
> > With your skinny butt what does it matter?
>
> They don't work so well on rocks, what with the 110psi and 700x23 size ;)

"Learn to be smooth" heheheheheh ',;~}~

> > > Jon Bond
> >
> > Have fun Jon!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> If it would ever stop raining I would. Take yer blimey weather back, you buncha wankers!

Sunny and 70 F here at 9:00 a.m. heheheheh.........

Shaun aRe - 'One of the bunch'.