XTR with Dura Ace 10-speed

Terry Morse

Guest
My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur and cassette
on his Trek Madone for an upcoming big climbing race.

I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what about
10-speed? Any incompatibilities?

no problem. they all use the same geometry and the same cable distance to
shift a gear (except older Dura Ace 8 speed or less)

Bruce

news:[email protected]...

Terry Morse wrote:
> My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur and cassette on
> his Trek Madone for an upcoming big climbing race.
> I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what about 10-
> speed? Any incompatibilities?
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA
> http://bike.terrymorse.com/http://bike.terrymorse.com/

The derailer will be fine but if he is planning to use DURA ACE 10
speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette it won't have good shifting.
The 10 speed shifter indexes 3.95 mm but the 9 speed cassette is
spaced a 4.34 mm.

Also, if he is using DURA ACE 10 speed hub, only DURA ACE 10 speed
cassettes will fit. If he is using Shimano 9 speed hub any Shimano HG
cassette will fit.

--

daveornee wrote:

> Terry Morse wrote:
> > My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur and cassette on
> > his Trek Madone for an upcoming big climbing race.
> > I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what about 10-
> > speed? Any incompatibilities?

> The derailer will be fine but if he is planning to use DURA ACE 10
> speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette it won't have good shifting.
> The 10 speed shifter indexes 3.95 mm but the 9 speed cassette is
> spaced a 4.34 mm.
>
> Also, if he is using DURA ACE 10 speed hub, only DURA ACE 10 speed
> cassettes will fit. If he is using Shimano 9 speed hub any Shimano HG
> cassette will fit.

I suspect his Madone comes with a 10-speed hub. So I guess he's
looking at a new wheel, cassette, derailleur, AND rear shifter.
Probably not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:43:56 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Terry Morse wrote:
>> > My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur and cassette on
>> > his Trek Madone for an upcoming big climbing race.
>> > I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what about 10-
>> > speed? Any incompatibilities?

>I suspect his Madone comes with a 10-speed hub.

Maybe not; Bontrager wheels I've seen fit both 9 and 10s.

Terry-<< My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur and cassette
on his Trek Madone for an upcoming big climbing race. >><BR><BR>

Will not work with a 9s cogset...shifters will shift DA 10s spacing only..the
rear der isn't the problem, the cogset spacing is...12-27 10s is the biggest
one that'll work.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Bruce-<< no problem. they all use the same geometry and the same cable
distance to
shift a gear (except older Dura Ace 8 speed or less) >><BR><BR>

BUT 10s DA shifters will not shift shimano 9s spacing...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

tmorse-<< I suspect his Madone comes with a 10-speed hub. So I guess he's
looking at a new wheel, cassette, derailleur, AND rear shifter.
Probably not worth the trouble. >><BR><BR>

OR find a Campagnolo rear wheel, get a 13-29 10s cogset-then go ride...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302