XTR with Dura Ace 10-speed

Terry Morse

Guest
My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur
and cassette on his Trek Madone for an upcoming big
climbing race.

I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what
about 10-speed? Any incompatibilities?

no problem. they all use the same geometry and the same
cable distance to shift a gear (except older Dura Ace 8
speed or less)

Bruce

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:tmorse-
[email protected]...
> My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur
> and cassette on his Trek Madone for an upcoming big
> climbing race.
>
> I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but
> what about 10-speed? Any incompatibilities?
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Originally posted by Terry Morse
My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear derailleur
and cassette on his Trek Madone for an upcoming big
climbing race.

I know this is not a problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what
about 10-speed? Any incompatibilities?

The derailer will be fine but if he is planning to use DURA ACE 10 speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette it won't have good shifting.
The 10 speed shifter indexes 3.95 mm but the 9 speed cassette is spaced a 4.34 mm.

Also, if he is using DURA ACE 10 speed hub, only DURA ACE 10 speed cassettes will fit.
If he is using Shimano 9 speed hub any Shimano HG cassette will fit.

daveornee wrote:

> Terry Morse wrote:
> > My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear
> > derailleur and cassette on his Trek Madone for an
> > upcoming big climbing race. I know this is not a
> > problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what about 10-
> > speed? Any incompatibilities?
>
> The derailer will be fine but if he is planning to use
> DURA ACE 10 speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette it won't
> have good shifting. The 10 speed shifter indexes 3.95 mm
> but the 9 speed cassette is spaced a 4.34 mm.
>
> Also, if he is using DURA ACE 10 speed hub, only DURA ACE
> 10 speed cassettes will fit. If he is using Shimano 9
> speed hub any Shimano HG cassette will fit.

I suspect his Madone comes with a 10-speed hub. So I guess
he's looking at a new wheel, cassette, derailleur, AND rear
shifter. Probably not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:43:56 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Terry Morse wrote:
>> > My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear
>> > derailleur and cassette on his Trek Madone for an
>> > upcoming big climbing race. I know this is not a
>> > problem with Dura Ace 9-speed, but what about 10-
>> > speed? Any incompatibilities?
>I suspect his Madone comes with a 10-speed hub.

Maybe not; Bontrager wheels I've seen fit both 9 and 10s.

Terry-<< My buddy is thinking of mounting an XTR rear
derailleur and cassette on his Trek Madone for an upcoming
big climbing race. >><BR><BR>

Will not work with a 9s cogset...shifters will shift DA 10s
spacing only..the rear der isn't the problem, the cogset
spacing is...12-27 10s is the biggest one that'll work.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Bruce-<< no problem. they all use the same geometry and the
same cable distance to shift a gear (except older Dura Ace 8
speed or less) >><BR><BR>

BUT 10s DA shifters will not shift shimano 9s spacing...