Xtracycle review

biodiesel

Aug 19, 2005
Just got my xtracycle yesterday. Guys at the company were really cool and talked me through the sale. Shipping was fast and assembly took half of a morning. Took longer to change the cables than to set up the bike.

(for those that don't know what it is, it's a 15 inch extention frame on the back of a standard bike adding cargo space and room for a passenger...)

Anyway, took it out last night. Group ride in Boulder, about 200 people. -
-Great handling in a crowd fast and slow, sidewalk and trail, road and of road and i didn't have to worry about the tail at all.
-Slow speed she's steady enough to trackstand with 10-30ish pounds in the back (so far) and to weave through pedestrian traffic.
-Fast speed; racing from the top of a parking garage in traffic and bumpy platforms with confidence at 20-30 mph. Try that in a trailer!
-Loaded (the bike) with 4 bags of heavy groceries and i could barely tell! I did a rolling mount, foot-free stalled at a cross walk, ride sidewalk/ trails at speed without worrying about a trailer catching the edges, and did a rolling dismount without problems. Heck it handles better than my regular bike with panniers!

Anyway, i'm in love with this bike. Fast, good handling and holds a ton.
I should have bought one of these years ago.

HA! Wait till you get to a big steep hill. The weight difference will become all too noticeable!!! :D

Bill.

shannons dad said:
HA! Wait till you get to a big steep hill. The weight difference will become all too noticeable!!! :D

Bill.

Well... yeah. Riding uphill with bags of groceries isn't easy or fast no matter what you ride.

And i've ridden up a few hills with the rig already, sure it's 9lbs heavier, but since this bike is my heavy bike anyway i'm used to dragging butt.

Update after a month or so,

I've tuned the bike once and still running well, no frame stress or problems. I've been riding in town, to work, and cruising. I've ridden in huge groups with confidence, perfected a full stoplight trackstand, and carried passengers short distances. I'd tell you of the 50 pound loads carried with ease, more important has been going to work with a change of clothes, a gym bag and bike stuff, and not have to worry about having enough room to make a quick grocery stop. No more buying single bottles of soda that fit in an overstuffed backpack, skimping on clothes, leaving the rain coat at home cause i'm out of room. The snapdeck is holding up well, the woodie look gets me lots of street cred, chased by roadies, choppers and an SUV of drunk college guys that just wanted to say cool bike!
Happy as an oyster.