XXL in a compact frame

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Brendo, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Brendo

    Brendo Guest

    I noticed in an article about Tom Boonen's new Specialized that they
    make an XXL frame, but I can't find it anywhere on their website or as
    a frame size on retail web pages.

    Do they make such a frame? And what are it's specs regarding c-c
    seatpost and top tubes?

    Do Giant or other large scale compact frame sellers do a limited run
    of XXL frames?

    Brendo

    Tags:

  2. neon

    neon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    Boonen's frame was off one. 15mm longer in the top tube than specialized standard 600mm top tube frame. You have look giant's website to see if have bike with 615mm top tube. Might have go custom (just like Tom did) to get frame that size.

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 28, 1:26 pm, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I noticed in an article about Tom Boonen's new Specialized that they
    > make an XXL frame, but I can't find it anywhere on their website or as
    > a frame size on retail web pages.
    >
    > Do they make such a frame? And what are it's specs regarding c-c
    > seatpost and top tubes?

    Chances are Boonen's bike is a custom job, you won't get it from your
    LBS that deals in off the rack bikes. They may not even have made it
    themselves, it could be a badge engineering job.

    > Do Giant or other large scale compact frame sellers do a limited run
    > of XXL frames?

    Without knowing what XXL means with any sort of precision, I can say
    that Trek's new '08 Madones have a very large size, and are (urgh ..)
    semi compact - in as much as they have a slightly sloping top tube.

    You can find the geometry and measurements at trekbikes.com for them.
    I'm sure other brands will publish the same on their sites.

  4. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Correct according to cyclingnews... somewhere to the tune of $500k/euro/whatever to produce the frame... he'd want to lay some smackdown in the tour for those kind of dollars... maybe even crossing the line with a sideways skid* so we can see the brand of frame he is on :)

    *hopefully not the kind of skid we saw him with at P-R though
    :eek:

  5. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 28, 3:39 pm, gplama <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >

    > > Chances are Boonen's bike is a custom job, you won't get it from your
    > > LBS that deals in off the rack bikes. They may not even have made it
    > > themselves, it could be a badge engineering job.

    > Correct according to cyclingnews... somewhere to the tune of
    > $500k/euro/whatever to produce the frame... he'd want to lay some
    > smackdown in the tour for those kind of dollars... maybe even crossing
    > the line with a sideways skid* so we can see the brand of frame he is on
    > :)

    Interestingly enough, if Specialized *did* make it, then they'd have
    had to make moulds for the bits, and they'd still have those moulds
    (probably ....). Assuming it's a carbon composite anyway.

    So they could -maybe- be convinced to use them again, but it would
    *not* be cheap :)

  6. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Frame is alloy i think?

  7. Brendo

    Brendo Guest

    On Jun 28, 3:12 pm, byron27 <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:> Interestingly enough, if Specialized *did* make it, then they'd have
    > > had to make moulds for the bits, and they'd still have those moulds
    > > (probably ....). Assuming it's a carbon composite anyway.

    > > So they could -maybe- be convinced to use them again, but it would
    > > *not* be cheap :)

    > Frame is alloy i think?
    >
    > --
    > byron27

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/probikes/?id=tom_boonen_specialized_tarmacsl2

    Started with an off the shelf Tarmac, was too short, they then built a
    'custom' out of aluminium, was too harsh, then handed him the Tarmac
    SL2 in carbon. He likes it, but then he's paid to say he likes it.

    Brendo