XXL in a compact frame

Brendo

Guest
I noticed in an article about Tom Boonen's new Specialized that they
make an XXL frame, but I can't find it anywhere on their website or as
a frame size on retail web pages.

Do they make such a frame? And what are it's specs regarding c-c
seatpost and top tubes?

Do Giant or other large scale compact frame sellers do a limited run
of XXL frames?

Brendo

Boonen's frame was off one. 15mm longer in the top tube than specialized standard 600mm top tube frame. You have look giant's website to see if have bike with 615mm top tube. Might have go custom (just like Tom did) to get frame that size.

On Jun 28, 1:26 pm, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I noticed in an article about Tom Boonen's new Specialized that they
> make an XXL frame, but I can't find it anywhere on their website or as
> a frame size on retail web pages.
>
> Do they make such a frame? And what are it's specs regarding c-c
> seatpost and top tubes?

Chances are Boonen's bike is a custom job, you won't get it from your
LBS that deals in off the rack bikes. They may not even have made it
themselves, it could be a badge engineering job.

> Do Giant or other large scale compact frame sellers do a limited run
> of XXL frames?

Without knowing what XXL means with any sort of precision, I can say
that Trek's new '08 Madones have a very large size, and are (urgh ..)
semi compact - in as much as they have a slightly sloping top tube.

You can find the geometry and measurements at trekbikes.com for them.
I'm sure other brands will publish the same on their sites.

Bleve said:
Chances are Boonen's bike is a custom job, you won't get it from your
LBS that deals in off the rack bikes. They may not even have made it
themselves, it could be a badge engineering job.

Correct according to cyclingnews... somewhere to the tune of $500k/euro/whatever to produce the frame... he'd want to lay some smackdown in the tour for those kind of dollars... maybe even crossing the line with a sideways skid* so we can see the brand of frame he is on :)

*hopefully not the kind of skid we saw him with at P-R though
:eek:

On Jun 28, 3:39 pm, gplama <gplama.2sv...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > Chances are Boonen's bike is a custom job, you won't get it from your
> > LBS that deals in off the rack bikes. They may not even have made it
> > themselves, it could be a badge engineering job.

> Correct according to cyclingnews... somewhere to the tune of
> $500k/euro/whatever to produce the frame... he'd want to lay some
> smackdown in the tour for those kind of dollars... maybe even crossing
> the line with a sideways skid* so we can see the brand of frame he is on
> :)

Interestingly enough, if Specialized *did* make it, then they'd have
had to make moulds for the bits, and they'd still have those moulds
(probably ....). Assuming it's a carbon composite anyway.

So they could -maybe- be convinced to use them again, but it would
*not* be cheap :)

Bleve said:
Interestingly enough, if Specialized *did* make it, then they'd have
had to make moulds for the bits, and they'd still have those moulds
(probably ....). Assuming it's a carbon composite anyway.

So they could -maybe- be convinced to use them again, but it would
*not* be cheap :)
Frame is alloy i think?

On Jun 28, 3:12 pm, byron27 <byron27.2sv...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:> Interestingly enough, if Specialized *did* make it, then they'd have
> > had to make moulds for the bits, and they'd still have those moulds
> > (probably ....). Assuming it's a carbon composite anyway.

> > So they could -maybe- be convinced to use them again, but it would
> > *not* be cheap :)

> Frame is alloy i think?
>
> --
> byron27

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/probikes/?id=tom_boonen_specialized_tarmacsl2

Started with an off the shelf Tarmac, was too short, they then built a
'custom' out of aluminium, was too harsh, then handed him the Tarmac
SL2 in carbon. He likes it, but then he's paid to say he likes it.

Brendo