Y shaped stem at tdf.

Sep 30, 2017
I've been watching the TDF and noticed some Cervelo's with a Y shaped, or forked stem. That is, there is a separate arm that goes to each side of the handlebar.
Anybody know who makes this? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

My guess is that it’s bar and stem in one piece. It can be made a bit lighter - not that they need it - and also stiffer, which MIGHT be noticeable. If you can get such a bar in the length and rise you want, fine. Otherwise, you’re sacrificing a considerable amount of adjustability for a fairly minor improvement.

Pretty cool looking, noticed it myself.

I wouldn't want to pay for it but I bet the cool factor would capture all the neighborhood kids' attention! :cool:

I never slam my stems so if I were to flip that Y stem on my bike, I'm guessing it would look kinda funny! :eek: :D

My guess is that it’s bar and stem in one piece. It can be made a bit lighter - not that they need it - and also stiffer, which MIGHT be noticeable. If you can get such a bar in the length and rise you want, fine. Otherwise, you’re sacrificing a considerable amount of adjustability for a fairly minor improvement.
Right you are, it's a one piece bar and stem. It's on the bike of Marc Hirschi, who won todays stage, so I got a good look at it. Still haven't been able to find it. Not looking to buy one, just curious. Does open up the space right in the middle of the bar for electronics. Looks cool.

Right you are, it's a one piece bar and stem. It's on the bike of Marc Hirschi, who won todays stage, so I got a good look at it. Still haven't been able to find it. Not looking to buy one, just curious. Does open up the space right in the middle of the bar for electronics. Looks cool.

Well not everybody gets a chance to get up and watch the stage at 4 am so thanks for blabbing the results spoiling it for the rest of us. It's a common courtesy on most cycling forums across the board that posters have enough consideration to keep from ruining the day by posting the results knowing that because of time zones across the world, not everybody gets to view the stage at the same time. :(

Well not everybody gets a chance to get up and watch the stage at 4 am so thanks for blabbing the results spoiling it for the rest of us. It's a common courtesy on most cycling forums across the board that posters have enough consideration to keep from ruining the day by posting the results knowing that because of time zones across the world, not everybody gets to view the stage at the same time. :(
Cheese and rice! Sorry! I didn't even think about it. Holly cow! Whew! Yikes!

I promise I won't give it away tomorrow. I believe that is a mountain stage. Good tour so far. Fast.

Yes, an eventful tour so far. Plenty of crashes, got to feel sorry for those guys. And to get back up and ride!!!

I did enjoy the stage the other day. The favorites actually attacked rather than roll in together. I like to see the favorites attack, as they should with goals to change the leaders jersey.

I've watched tours before where #2 rider is only 30 seconds behind #1 on the mountain stages and he chose to cruise in with the peloton day after day. Wow, 30 seconds? Go for it man, win or lose, at least try! :cool:

This one is fast. The flattest stage and you would think everybody would be cruising but it was a struggle for many to keep up. Tomorrow should be good! :)

A lot of these new bikes with internal routing cables and made to be more streamline with no noticeable cables to include aftermarket accessories I assume are the reason for these new fangled things.

I have seen them and other variations and figure something as simple as that stem cost more than my bike!

We could never afford their rides! They are not the highest end off a shelf like some think!

Ha! I've always tried to keep my bike spending reasonable. With all the new stuff that come out, I try to avoid any kind of new tech upgrades keeping my bikes old school proven technology.

Heck, it works for me and I can't see paying $2000 for a set of wheels with cool spokes just to gain .001 over 10 miles and/or impressing my friends with my Fonz like cool self ha ha!

FTR, I have buds that have spent $5,000 upgrading bikes and still sucking my wheel. SO imo, ain't going to help me none. Primoz yeah little some, but not me! :D

Reactions: Germanrazor
I've been watching the TDF and noticed some Cervelo's with a Y shaped, or forked stem. That is, there is a separate arm that goes to each side of the handlebar.
Anybody know who makes this? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

It’s specific for the Cervelo S5 road bike. If you want that bar, you gotta buy the bike.

I don't sugarcoat things, so here it is: if you want that specific bar, you need to buy the whole Cervelo S5 bike. That's just how it is. I'm not sure why you're surprised; it's not uncommon for high-end components to only be available with the bikes they were designed for.

Now, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but let's keep this conversation on topic. I'm here to talk about cycling, training, and gear, not to hold hands and welcome newbies to the forum. If you have something valuable to contribute, please do. If not, no worries.

As for the Cyclistat software, I've used it too, and I've experienced some bugs as well. But hey, that's software development for you. It's not perfect, but it's still a useful tool for training. So let's focus on that and see if we can help each other out.

;) Highcadence out.