Yahoo..there is a god!

Hitchy

Jan 26, 2004
Cyclist awarded $240,000 in damages
A cyclist in Durham, North Carolina, USA, has been awarded $240,000 damages as a result of a car accident. Thomas Sitzman, a 24 year old Duke University MD/Ph.D. student, was riding through downtown Hillsborough at 15 mph when a car turned left in front of him. He suffered complex fractures to the metacarpal bones in his left hand, and has developed early arthritis as a result.

A jury in Orange County, NC, ruled in favour of Sitzman on February 20, returning a verdict of $240,000 for his personal injury and $950 for property damage. The case is thought to be the first North Carolina verdict for a bicyclist operating his bicycle as a motor vehicle.

G'day all,

the old saying...only in America!...but can we expect this sort of outcome in Aus?. Methinks not...but hey, I'm up for it!....Tell us your stories about extracting cash from stupid motorists that have damaged your ride (or your body),

cheers,

Hitchy

It says that he was an MD (I assume this is some form of Medical Doctor). Is it possible that the
damage to the metacarpals on his left wrist could seriously effect his ability to perform surgery
and thus significant earning capicity? Why was the judges reason for the amount. 240k is pretty
measly if he would have been earning more than that each year as a surgeon. Just call me a cynic but
if the guy was a brick layer or motor mechanic he may not have faired so well.

Peter

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cyclist awarded $240,000 in damages A cyclist in Durham, North Carolina, USA, has been awarded
> $240,000 damages as a result of a car accident. Thomas Sitzman, a 24 year old Duke University
> MD/Ph.D. student, was riding through downtown Hillsborough at 15 mph when a car turned left in
> front of him. He suffered complex fractures to the metacarpal bones in his left hand, and has
> developed early arthritis as a result.
>
> A jury in Orange County, NC, ruled in favour of Sitzman on February 20, returning a verdict of
> $240,000 for his personal injury and $950 for property damage. The case is thought to be the first
> North Carolina verdict for a bicyclist operating his bicycle as a motor vehicle.
>
> G'day all,
>
> the old saying...only in America!...but can we expect this sort of outcome in Aus?. Methinks
> not...but hey, I'm up for it!....Tell us your stories about extracting cash from stupid motorists
> that have damaged your ride (or your body),
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy
>
>
>
> --

I got hit by a car. The bike was writen off (looked more like a bannana after than a bike) I got a
torn medial ligament in my right knee plus i turned black and blue for a while. The driver of the
car bought me a new bike, and my lawyer got me $50,000 in damages. I was happy got a new bike, some
money in the bank and after a lot of physio, am now riding happly along again.

Regards max

Hitchy wrote:
> Cyclist awarded $240,000 in damages A cyclist in Durham, North Carolina, USA, has been awarded
> $240,000 damages as a result of a car accident. Thomas Sitzman, a 24 year old Duke University
> MD/Ph.D. student, was riding through downtown Hillsborough at 15 mph when a car turned left in
> front of him. He suffered complex fractures to the metacarpal bones in his left hand, and has
> developed early arthritis as a result.
>
> A jury in Orange County, NC, ruled in favour of Sitzman on February 20, returning a verdict of
> $240,000 for his personal injury and $950 for property damage. The case is thought to be the first
> North Carolina verdict for a bicyclist operating his bicycle as a motor vehicle.
>
> G'day all,
>
> the old saying...only in America!...but can we expect this sort of outcome in Aus?. Methinks
> not...but hey, I'm up for it!....Tell us your stories about extracting cash from stupid motorists
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy
>
>
>
> --

"Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I got hit by a car. The bike was writen off (looked more like a bannana after than a bike) I got a
> torn medial ligament in my right knee plus i turned black and blue for a while. The driver of the
> car bought me a new bike, and my lawyer got me $50,000 in damages. I was happy got a new bike,
> some money in the bank and after a lot of physio, am now riding happly along again.
>
> Regards max

Good news and congradulations!

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,
not the fifteen GWB proposes.
Give NASA a real challenge
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:50:01 GMT, Hitchy <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Tell us your stories

Well, after fifteen years since I last rode, four weeks ago I bought a new bike to get fit. Last
Saturday a car pulled out in front of me turning left out of a minor road and knocked me off. I was
doing about 15-20kph at the time. Badly broke my left wrist, apparently turning some of the bone to
'mush'. I don't know if the metal plate will set off the metal detectors at the airport, but I'm
hoping :)

The bike is barely scratched! (Apparently - I've just got out of hospital and will have a good look
at it tomorrow).

See what getting fit gets you? Much safer being a couch potato! ;-)

Still, it could have been a lot worse...

> about extracting cash from stupid motorists that have damaged your ride (or your body),

I guess all that sort of fun and games starts now...

Phew! Typing one-handed takes an age (good thing I'm right-handed).

Cheers,
--
Andrew Gregory <URL: http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/

Andrew:

That's sad. I hope you get better soon, and I hope the driver (or insurance) will pay for the damage properly.

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by Andrew Gregory
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:50:01 GMT, Hitchy <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Tell us your stories

Well, after fifteen years since I last rode, four weeks ago I bought a new bike to get fit. Last
Saturday a car pulled out in front of me turning left out of a minor road and knocked me off. I was
doing about 15-20kph at the time. Badly broke my left wrist, apparently turning some of the bone to
'mush'. I don't know if the metal plate will set off the metal detectors at the airport, but I'm
hoping :)

The bike is barely scratched! (Apparently - I've just got out of hospital and will have a good look
at it tomorrow).

See what getting fit gets you? Much safer being a couch potato! ;-)

Still, it could have been a lot worse...

> about extracting cash from stupid motorists that have damaged your ride (or your body),

I guess all that sort of fun and games starts now...

Phew! Typing one-handed takes an age (good thing I'm right-handed).

Cheers,
--
Andrew Gregory <URL: http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/

> G'day all,
>
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy
>
> --

-----------------------------------

Bicycle vs. Car Door Broken Nose = AU13,000 + cute new nose (eventually) That was a minimum amt.
Could have been more if I'd been working etc.

Calm