Yakima Bike Rack

lawrence

Guest
I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.

Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
problem ??

Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false sense
of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?

Please respond to me directly, [email protected]

Thank you!

Lawrence

If you run a car with any bike rack through a car was you are asking for trouble (that's if they
even let you do it). If you run one through that is held by straps (instead of a hitch mounted-one),
that "asking for trouble" becomes "begging for trouble".

Your owners manual or instructions should have maximum speed recommendations. I'm sure the
turbulence experienced by the rack/bike will depend on the vehicle it is mounted on and how far back
the rack is. The closer in it is mounted, the better.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
"(Lawrence)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.
>
> Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
> problem ??
>
> Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false
> sense of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?
>
> Please respond to me directly, [email protected]
>
> Thank you!
>
> Lawrence

"(Lawrence)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.
>
> Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
> problem ??
>
> Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false
> sense of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?

Assuming it's a roof-mounted rack, the real question is whether or not your bike will survive
hitting the top of your garage door. I've trashed one bike, and damaged another, due to being
tired and forgetting the bikes were up there after a long trip. I've spoken to lots of roof rack
owners, and most have at least one such horror story. Now, whenever I have bikes on top I put the
garage door opener in the glove box, and hang a little sign that says "Bikes on Roof" from the
rear view mirror.

As for speed...I've driven 90mph with one bike up and everything seemed fine. The wind noise was
pretty noticeable, but I swear my bike was smiling when I got home.

GG

> Please respond to me directly, [email protected]
>
> Thank you!
>
> Lawrence

Originally posted by Garyg
"(Lawrence)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.
>
> Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
> problem ??
>
> Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false
> sense of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?

Assuming it's a roof-mounted rack, the real question is whether or not your bike will survive
hitting the top of your garage door. I've trashed one bike, and damaged another, due to being
tired and forgetting the bikes were up there after a long trip. I've spoken to lots of roof rack
owners, and most have at least one such horror story. Now, whenever I have bikes on top I put the
garage door opener in the glove box, and hang a little sign that says "Bikes on Roof" from the
rear view mirror.

As for speed...I've driven 90mph with one bike up and everything seemed fine. The wind noise was
pretty noticeable, but I swear my bike was smiling when I got home.

GG

> Please respond to me directly, [email protected]
>
> Thank you!
>
> Lawrence

A lot of people who've trashed bikes by running them into the garage overhang have come up with a similar deterent: they put their garage door openers in one of their bike gloves. That way they have to take the opener out of something that will remind them to pay attention to the bike on the roof.

I'm a little late with this, but. . .

Don't go through the brush car washes. I use the 'touchless' option when I'm not handwashing the
car. Had a bad experience years ago with a Toyota rooftop carrier in a get out and watch the
automatic wash type deal.

I have a Yakima rooftop. I have yet to notice any problem with speed and the bikes, but I don't
generally run at 80 MPH.

Regards,

Dan Klenke Aurora, IL