Yakima Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by lawrence, May 9, 2003.

  1. lawrence

    lawrence Guest

    I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.

    Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
    problem ??

    Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false sense
    of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?

    Please respond to me directly, [email protected]

    Thank you!

    Lawrence

    Tags:

  2. Grl

    Grl Guest

    If you run a car with any bike rack through a car was you are asking for trouble (that's if they
    even let you do it). If you run one through that is held by straps (instead of a hitch mounted-one),
    that "asking for trouble" becomes "begging for trouble".

    Your owners manual or instructions should have maximum speed recommendations. I'm sure the
    turbulence experienced by the rack/bike will depend on the vehicle it is mounted on and how far back
    the rack is. The closer in it is mounted, the better.
    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
    "(Lawrence)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.
    >
    > Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
    > problem ??
    >
    > Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false
    > sense of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?
    >
    > Please respond to me directly, [email protected]
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Lawrence

  3. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "(Lawrence)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just installed a Yakima bike rack on my car today.
    >
    > Can I still take my car thru the car wash with the rack on ??? Any dangers? Anyone ever have a
    > problem ??
    >
    > Also... I placed the bike on the rack to "test it out"... it felt sturdy, but gave me a false
    > sense of comfort.... will it really hold the bike while I'm driving 80 mph?

    Assuming it's a roof-mounted rack, the real question is whether or not your bike will survive
    hitting the top of your garage door. I've trashed one bike, and damaged another, due to being
    tired and forgetting the bikes were up there after a long trip. I've spoken to lots of roof rack
    owners, and most have at least one such horror story. Now, whenever I have bikes on top I put the
    garage door opener in the glove box, and hang a little sign that says "Bikes on Roof" from the
    rear view mirror.

    As for speed...I've driven 90mph with one bike up and everything seemed fine. The wind noise was
    pretty noticeable, but I swear my bike was smiling when I got home.

    GG

    > Please respond to me directly, [email protected]
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Lawrence

  4. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    A lot of people who've trashed bikes by running them into the garage overhang have come up with a similar deterent: they put their garage door openers in one of their bike gloves. That way they have to take the opener out of something that will remind them to pay attention to the bike on the roof.

  5. Dan Klenke

    Dan Klenke Guest

    I'm a little late with this, but. . .

    Don't go through the brush car washes. I use the 'touchless' option when I'm not handwashing the
    car. Had a bad experience years ago with a Toyota rooftop carrier in a get out and watch the
    automatic wash type deal.

    I have a Yakima rooftop. I have yet to notice any problem with speed and the bikes, but I don't
    generally run at 80 MPH.

    Regards,

    Dan Klenke Aurora, IL