Yakima Bike Racks.

DaveMan

Guest
Hey All,
I am thinking of buying my first bike hitch, either a Yakima Kingpin 4
or a Yakima Bighorn 4(2" hitch). It looks like both will work on my
Santa Fe. The only difference between the 2 is the fold down arms on
the Kingpin. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these
hitches. I'm also looking at a Hollywood Racks Traveler 4 but I don't
know if that one is any good or not. Thanks for any input.
- Devoid

"DaveMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey All,
> I am thinking of buying my first bike hitch, either a Yakima Kingpin 4
> or a Yakima Bighorn 4(2" hitch). It looks like both will work on my
> Santa Fe. The only difference between the 2 is the fold down arms on
> the Kingpin. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these
> hitches. I'm also looking at a Hollywood Racks Traveler 4 but I don't
> know if that one is any good or not. Thanks for any input.
> - Devoid

I have the big horn on the wife's truck. It is OK. It takes a bit of
strategic planning to get four bikes on the rack-- it is a very tight fit
fully loaded. Because of the arm spacing some of our bikes the down tube
side has to ride on top of the one arm. It makes me nervous but we have not
lost a bike yet. However I did loose a few of the straps while not carrying
bikes. So be advise to keep the straps pulled tight between two of the
fasting points when empty.

Steve

I have a Bauer XR2 Revolution on an 05 Expedition, It is responsible
for nearly every scratch on both my bikes and my GFs bike. No matter
how careful you are the bikes wind up rubbing on on each other, get
some of them top tube adaptor things, they hold on to your stem and
seat post. If you clamp the thing directly on your top tube just a
little road dust will ware all the paint off. If you care about your
bike pull your friends peddles off. or tie down his cranks so they
don't work around and rub on your bike.
Don't trust the cheesy little lock if it comes with one, use a Big Ass
chain and a real lock to secure the frames And two (2) of them cheap
cable locks to secure the wheels to the frames.

Bought my first bike rack this July.
Considered the Yakimas but wound up buying
the Thule 998xt Trailblazer.
Holds 4 bikes, swings out for opening rear of van,
though not with the bikes on.
I like it, it's solid and has lots of features built-in.
Bought it at Agee's Bicycle online, I'd buy from them again as well.

HOH

"DaveMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey All,
> I am thinking of buying my first bike hitch, either a Yakima Kingpin 4
> or a Yakima Bighorn 4(2" hitch). It looks like both will work on my
> Santa Fe. The only difference between the 2 is the fold down arms on
> the Kingpin. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these
> hitches. I'm also looking at a Hollywood Racks Traveler 4 but I don't
> know if that one is any good or not. Thanks for any input.
> - Devoid

I have a Hollywood hitch mount for 2 bikes, they do make them for 4 as
well. I think they may even have an extension for the 2 bike rack so
that you don't always have a huge rack if there are only going to be 2
of you. I think...

JD wrote:
> Sportworks.
>
> JD

Is now Thule. I'm waiting on a "Sportworks" Thule hitch rack. Will report
soon.

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:

> JD wrote:
>
>>Sportworks.
>>
>>JD

> Is now Thule. I'm waiting on a "Sportworks" Thule hitch rack. Will report
> soon.
>
> Mike

FYI, I think REI has some of the old Sportworks stuff. If you do a
search on their website, you can buy the parts you need, for a lot less
than the Thule version.

mtbguy wrote:
> Michael Dart wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>> Sportworks.
>>>
>>> JD

>> Is now Thule. I'm waiting on a "Sportworks" Thule hitch rack. Will
>> report soon.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> FYI, I think REI has some of the old Sportworks stuff. If you do a
> search on their website, you can buy the parts you need, for a lot
> less than the Thule version.

Thanks but I have a pro deal hookup.

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:
> mtbguy wrote:
> > Michael Dart wrote:

> >> Is now Thule. I'm waiting on a "Sportworks" Thule hitch rack. Will
> >> report soon.

I had heard something along those lines. The design is what I was
mainly referring to. Those things are easy cheesy and quick.

> > FYI, I think REI has some of the old Sportworks stuff. If you do a
> > search on their website, you can buy the parts you need, for a lot
> > less than the Thule version.

> Thanks but I have a pro deal hookup.

Can I have your autograph?

JD

JD wrote:
> Michael Dart wrote:
>> mtbguy wrote:

> I had heard something along those lines. The design is what I was
> mainly referring to. Those things are easy cheesy and quick.
>
>>> FYI, I think REI has some of the old Sportworks stuff. If you do a
>>> search on their website, you can buy the parts you need, for a lot
>>> less than the Thule version.

>> Thanks but I have a pro deal hookup.

> Can I have your autograph?
>
> JD

Sure. That and $3.95 will get you a double latte at Starbuck's. :^p