yakima or thule rack

dorian

Jul 16, 2003
I'm thinking about getting a roof rack with a fork mount for my road bike.

Do people find one system works better than another or is just better quality? I don't see a great deal of difference between the two other than the bar shape.

If anyone has any input on either brand, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I had a Yakima with a roof mount system I used for 3 bikes. The only time I had trouble was when I forgot it was on the car and drove in the garage with a bike on top. I never worried about the safety or reliability because they worked perfectly and there was nothing to worry about. Good luck, Larry

Originally posted by dorian
I'm thinking about getting a roof rack with a fork mount for my road bike.

Do people find one system works better than another or is just better quality? I don't see a great deal of difference between the two other than the bar shape.

If anyone has any input on either brand, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I used to have a Thule roof rack, and it was perfect.
That was then, now I won't be using a rack much, and I'm thinking of getting a trunk mount ie. lots of straps.
Are these good now, or do they still get sloppy on a long drive.
Thanks

Originally posted by dorian
I've have both a Thule and a Yakima rack. From a quality perspective, both are very good, but the Yakima is better.

With the round bars, the Yakima fits curved roofs better.