Yakima/Thule roof rack question

Feanor

Jul 21, 2003
Greetings all,

Still new to road cycling but making many friends! I've been on several rides with friends already and one very enjoyable group ride (I thought for certain in the beginning that I would ride solo forever)

I'm now in the market for a good roof rack. I'm told that Thule and Yakima are the main choices, and that the fork mount type rails are far superior to the "clamp" the downtube type where you keep both wheels on the bike...

I realize that this may sound like a superficial issue, but when a high quality roof rack is properly put on and given that the Trek 5200 is very light, will the towers on the rack scratch the paint of my car?

If scratches are unavoidable, can I mitigate them somehow by doing things like placing a little square of chamois under each of the feet where they contact the paint?

I was going to just use a trunk lid type bike carrier but the bike dealer told me that that type of carrier may damage the frame...

What are everyone's long term experiences with roof racks and their effect on car paint?

Thanks!

Feanor