YakTrax?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Shinypenny, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Shinypenny

    Shinypenny Guest

    Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
    $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?

    http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/fs311.html

    Brrr... it's getting cold out there, and it's only October!

    jen

    Tags:

  2. Dot

    Dot Guest

    shinypenny wrote:
    > Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
    > $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?

    You might look back at thread started 8/31 on "anybody tried yaktrax" but IIRC most people
    relegated them to the utility work bin (shoveling snow, pushing cars, etc) and used something else
    for running.

    Other thoughts shared by another Alaskan in another running group (none of which I've used and I
    think he's only used some): http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/2666130p-2707203c.html
    http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm http://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_M-
    etal_Studded_Orienteering_Shoes_22.html http://www.icebug.se/launch.asp

    If it's just snow and not ice, you may not need anything different, but that may depend on the shoe
    you're wearing and what surface you run on. And if it's cold (subzero F) or has glacial grit on top
    from the local winds, there's usually enough traction, but ice is a hard surface, like asphalt. Some
    snows are nice, ice is not.

    Dot

  3. Robert Karp

    Robert Karp Guest

    Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote:

    >shinypenny wrote:
    >> Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
    >> $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?
    >
    >You might look back at thread started 8/31 on "anybody tried yaktrax" Other thoughts shared by
    >another Alaskan in another running group (none of which I've used and I think he's only used some):
    >http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/2666130p-2707203c.html http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm http:/-
    >/www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Metal_Studded_Orienteering_Shoes_22.html
    >http://www.icebug.se/launch.asp
    >
    >Dot
    Something else to look at: Surefoot® Ice Joggers:

    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?baseProdKey=RRSUR-003&catOID=-8890&BV-
    [email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cadcigiigfhjbekgcgecfeedgf.0

    -Robert

  4. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    I have never tied Yak Trax, but have used Ice Joggers, which I got at www.roadrunnersports.com ,but
    which I have since discovered are available at my local shoe store. They are a different design
    (half a dozen small steel spikes or knobs in a stretchy rubber thing) but they are phenomenal. They
    give you very sure footing on any surface, with the possible exception of black ice.

    Brian Jones "Robert Karp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >shinypenny wrote:
    > >> Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
    > >> $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?
    > >
    > >You might look back at thread started 8/31 on "anybody tried yaktrax" Other thoughts shared by
    > >another Alaskan in another running group (none of which I've used and I think he's only used
    > >some): http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/2666130p-2707203c.html
    > >http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
    >
    >http://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Metal_Studde
    d_Orienteering_Shoes_22.html
    > >http://www.icebug.se/launch.asp
    > >
    > >Dot
    > Something else to look at: Surefoot® Ice Joggers:

    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?baseProdKey=RRSUR-003&catOID=-8890&BV-
    [email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cadcigiigfhjbekgcgecfeedgf.0

    > -Robert

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Brian Jones wrote:
    > I have never tied Yak Trax, but have used Ice Joggers, which I got at www.roadrunnersports.com
    > ,but which I have since discovered are available at my local shoe store. They are a different
    > design (half a dozen small steel spikes or knobs in a stretchy rubber thing) but they are
    > phenomenal. They give you very sure footing on any surface, with the possible exception of
    > black ice.

    I think this is what most people in Alaska use that don't already have orienteering or other
    suitable spikes. (I hadn't listed it again since it was in earlier thread, but probably should
    have.) On flat, even surfaces they work great, but on uneven surfaces like the rutted surface on a
    small hill (maybe 10 ft vertical) I live on that lies between me and the rest of the world, the
    spikes frequently don't grab because of the rough surface - not long enough or enough of them, esp.
    if it's warm and wet on top - and the reason why I'm always on the lookout for something better.
    Something with more spikes would help immensely. But for normal circumstances, yep, they work great
    although they do alter my gait. Most of the time I can usually find snow to run with or with
    snowshoes, which have built in cramp-ons.

    Dot

  6. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    (shinypenny) wrote:

    > Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
    > $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?
    >
    > http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/fs311.html
    >
    > Brrr... it's getting cold out there, and it's only October!
    >
    > jen

    got 'em a couple of years ago. used them for about 5 or 10 minutes then went home, took them off,
    then went out again to pick my way around the icy patches.

    so.... maybe they work, maybe they don't, but i didn't like how they felt or the fact that they
    shouldn't be worn onto pavement, which is sometimes unavoidable. a hassle.

    Cam

    --
    Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

  7. Mbess

    Mbess Guest