YakTrax?

shinypenny wrote:
> Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
> $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?

You might look back at thread started 8/31 on "anybody tried yaktrax" but IIRC most people
relegated them to the utility work bin (shoveling snow, pushing cars, etc) and used something else
for running.

Other thoughts shared by another Alaskan in another running group (none of which I've used and I
think he's only used some): http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/2666130p-2707203c.html
http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm http://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_M-
etal_Studded_Orienteering_Shoes_22.html http://www.icebug.se/launch.asp

If it's just snow and not ice, you may not need anything different, but that may depend on the shoe
you're wearing and what surface you run on. And if it's cold (subzero F) or has glacial grit on top
from the local winds, there's usually enough traction, but ice is a hard surface, like asphalt. Some
snows are nice, ice is not.

Dot

Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote:

>shinypenny wrote:
>> Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
>> $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?
>
>You might look back at thread started 8/31 on "anybody tried yaktrax" Other thoughts shared by
>another Alaskan in another running group (none of which I've used and I think he's only used some):
>http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/2666130p-2707203c.html http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm http:/-
>/www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Metal_Studded_Orienteering_Shoes_22.html
>http://www.icebug.se/launch.asp
>
>Dot
Something else to look at: Surefoot® Ice Joggers:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?baseProdKey=RRSUR-003&catOID=-8890&BV-
_SessionID=@@@@1630155585.1065202996@@@@&BV_EngineID=cadcigiigfhjbekgcgecfeedgf.0

-Robert

I have never tied Yak Trax, but have used Ice Joggers, which I got at www.roadrunnersports.com ,but
which I have since discovered are available at my local shoe store. They are a different design
(half a dozen small steel spikes or knobs in a stretchy rubber thing) but they are phenomenal. They
give you very sure footing on any surface, with the possible exception of black ice.

news:[email protected]...

Brian Jones wrote:
> I have never tied Yak Trax, but have used Ice Joggers, which I got at www.roadrunnersports.com
> ,but which I have since discovered are available at my local shoe store. They are a different
> design (half a dozen small steel spikes or knobs in a stretchy rubber thing) but they are
> phenomenal. They give you very sure footing on any surface, with the possible exception of
> black ice.

I think this is what most people in Alaska use that don't already have orienteering or other
suitable spikes. (I hadn't listed it again since it was in earlier thread, but probably should
have.) On flat, even surfaces they work great, but on uneven surfaces like the rutted surface on a
small hill (maybe 10 ft vertical) I live on that lies between me and the rest of the world, the
spikes frequently don't grab because of the rough surface - not long enough or enough of them, esp.
if it's warm and wet on top - and the reason why I'm always on the lookout for something better.
Something with more spikes would help immensely. But for normal circumstances, yep, they work great
although they do alter my gait. Most of the time I can usually find snow to run with or with
snowshoes, which have built in cramp-ons.

Dot

(shinypenny) wrote:

> Anyone try these, for running on ice and snow? Do you like them? Do they work? Are they worth
> $19.95? Or would you recommend something different?
>
> http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/fs311.html
>
> Brrr... it's getting cold out there, and it's only October!
>
> jen

got 'em a couple of years ago. used them for about 5 or 10 minutes then went home, took them off,
then went out again to pick my way around the icy patches.

so.... maybe they work, maybe they don't, but i didn't like how they felt or the fact that they
shouldn't be worn onto pavement, which is sometimes unavoidable. a hassle.

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.