YakTrax

Mike Maxwell

Guest
In this month's Trail Runner magazine, there's an ad on pg. 53 for "Yak Trax", which is supposed to
attach to running shoes to give better traction in packed snow and ice. It looks like some kind of a
cord that goes back and forth over the soles.

It snowed here in New Jersey yestarday, partly melted, froze again, then snowed over top of
that. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they work well? Do they fall off? How easy are
they to put on?

Mike Maxwell NOmaxwellSPAM at ldc dot upenn dot edu

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> In this month's Trail Runner magazine, there's an ad on pg. 53 for "Yak Trax", which is supposed
> to attach to running shoes to give better traction in packed snow and ice. It looks like some kind
> of a cord that goes back and forth over the soles.
>
> It snowed here in New Jersey yestarday, partly melted, froze again, then snowed over top of
> that. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they work well? Do they fall off? How easy are
> they to put on?
>
> Mike Maxwell NOmaxwellSPAM at ldc dot upenn dot edu

google for the preceding threads from this fall "anybody tried yaktrax" "YakTrax?"

I think most people tended to put yaktrax in the utility bin, and favored Surefoot Ice Joggers
(carbide tips) for ice. I've also seen something like the IceJoggers but with hex-head screws (so
you don't put screws in your own shoes), but can't remember name. These may work better than the Ice
Joggers in snow over ice. I'm assuming you've just got a light coating of snow over the ice
otherwise it probably wouldn't be an issue.

I have YakTrax and a device like tire chains that I have for emergencies (= use in car), but for
running I've only ever used the IceJoggers.

These are some links from earlier threads http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/2666130p-2707203c.html
http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm http://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_M-
etal_Studded_Orienteering_Shoes_22.html http://www.icebug.se/launch.asp

Dot

Dot wrote:
> Mike Maxwell wrote:
>
>> In this month's Trail Runner magazine, there's an ad on pg. 53 for "Yak Trax", which is supposed
>> to attach to running shoes to give better traction

The IceBug running shoes are illustrated on facing page (p. 52). And if you're on hardpacked snow,
something like the kahtoola might work (p.
40) although I think I've seen other brands of the same type thing (running crampons).

I've also seen
> something like the IceJoggers but with hex-head screws (so you don't put screws in your own
> shoes), but can't remember name.

STABILicers http://www.32north.com/OutdoorUse.htm although there might be others like this
out there.

The ice jogger tips are thin enough that they would just slice through snow. Most people are just
worried about running on ice.

Dot