Ya'll were lots of help before . . . up to it again?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Proudfoot, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Proudfoot

Proudfoot New Member

My scoop: returning to cycling after about a 12 year lay off; mainly 20 mile road rides 3X per week; add 1 or so more when actively training for Triathlon's (did my first one this past weekend). I currently ride an old Diamondback that is in serviceable condition. Budget is tight; so not looking to buy a new bike now (as much as I'd like to) but am wondering if there are any relatively inexpensive investments I can make in this bike to improve performance?

Should losing bike weight be my most important goal? Or, are there performance gains to be had as well by adding/changing components?

My guess is that it's wiser to save my pennies and do a complete upgrage later on. However, if there are some things I could change now to improve speed (main goal) then I'd sure look hard at them.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. Cod

Cod New Member

I reckon a good set of tyres would be an inexpensive investment but if you choose the right ones you should see some performance gain. I use Vredestein Fortezza 700x23 and they're great.

3. Proudfoot

Proudfoot New Member

Thanks, I'll check them out. The more I learn, the better it sounds to limit my investment in this bike and save for a new one. Now if I could just get my "expenses" to cooperate (expenses = wife & two little boys!)