Yard Sale Score

Dave67

Jul 24, 2010
It was my lucky day, I scored a Specialized Carbon Epic at a yard sale. It is the last model year that was painted, mid 90’s. It has full Ulterga 9 speed, Mavic Heliums, Flite Ti saddle, TTT bar and stem. It looks almost new and rode very well. It came home with me for $100.

Mavic Heliums.....hmmm. They're perhaps the wheel that got the boutique wheel craze going.

Dave67 said:
I will try to get pics up soon.
Awesome score - can't wait to see the photos.
thumb.gif

Thanks all. It has had a few shack down rides and feel nice, but has some flex in the BB area. The tires are hard and need replaced.

Wow... $100?!?!?

The seller really didn't know what they had there. That is an awesome bike! Superb score!

Every time I see a bargain like that it has like a 60 cm top tube.

This was a case of the right place, right time. The seller was asking more, so I pulled the $100 out of my pocket and he jumped on it.

Mojo Johnson said:
Wow... $100?!?!?

The seller really didn't know what they had there. That is an awesome bike! Superb score!
Could have been sold by angry wife. If it was my wife she would have rolled it out to the road with a free sign hanging on it.:p

Dave67 said:
It was my lucky day, I scored a Specialized Carbon Epic at a yard sale. It is the last model year that was painted, mid 90’s. It has full Ulterga 9 speed, Mavic Heliums, Flite Ti saddle, TTT bar and stem. It looks almost new and rode very well. It came home with me for $100.
Good looking bike. Can you get one for me at that price, 58cm?:)

jhuskey said:
Every time I see a bargain like that it has like a 60 cm top tube.

I did a statistical analysis of all used bikes sold at garage sales in the US between 1785 and 2008. The plot below shows the probability of finding a used bike with a given top tube length at a garage sale. The numbers don't lie.