Yaroslav Popovych to Discovery Channel

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Capt.Injury, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

This may be the replacement for Armstrong when he packs it in.

Article from Pace Line:

Popovych Signs with Team Discovery!

Tailwind Sports, the sports management company that co-owns and manages the United States Postal Service Professional Cycling TeamĀ®, which is presented by Berry Floor, has announced the team has signed Ukrainian standout Yaroslav Popovych to a three-year contract beginning in 2005.

Johan Bruyneel, the USPS team's sports manager, was extremely excited to sign the talented Popovych to the USPS team, which will become the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team next season as the USPS will end its title sponsorship after nine seasons.

"I'm really excited to get Yaroslav on the team," said Bruyneel. "He's a young rider who has shown his talent on numerous occasions. He was the World U23 champion (2001) and he has done some great performances at the Giro d'Italia (3rd in 2003, 5th in 2004). I'm sure he still has a great margin of progression (to make) and I see him as a future contender for the Tour de France in a few years. It's great to have a big talent like him joining us. He really believes in our program."

Popovych, 24, was equally as happy upon joining the team.

"Riding for the Discovery team in 2005 has been my ultimate dream," Popovych said. "It's a team in which I believe in and a team where I'm sure to receive the proper education from directors such as Johan Bruyneel and Dirk Demol to become a three-week stage racer." Popovych debuted as an amateur in 1999 and then registered 36 victories from 2000 and 2001, including his world title in Portugal. In his first effort at the Giro, in 2002, Popovych confirmed his talent by finishing 12th.

Tags:

2. mattp71

mattp71 New Member

Funny that he joins them, just as the armstrong interview airs and he says he wants more americans on the team..lol.

3. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

Well Mr Armstrong can't have all he wants on his team.

4. musette

musette New Member

It'll be interesting to see whether Bruyneel will place Popovych on the 05 TdF team. He may not, because Popovych may be used for the Giro once Discovery has to participate in the Pro Tour, and it would be too hard to do both the Giro and be in top form for the 05 TdF. On the other hand, since Popovych is to ride in the TdF for sure after LA retires (no retirement from the TdF in 05, I believe), Bruyneel might want Popovych to start getting some experience in the Tour.

5. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

Armstrong's contract with his sponsors says he must do it (TdF) but it doesn't mean he has to go for number 7 or do a Bernard Hinault and become a domestique and ride for somebody else to try and win (like Azevado).

Re: The Giro and being in top form for 2005 TdF, Marco Pantani had no problems in doing the double in 1998.

6. jrewil

jrewil New Member

Well with ukrainian heritage, im well chuffed"!!!!!!

More reasons to support USPS - well discovery channel next year!!

CAn't wait for the big races!!! :eek: