Yarra River - probably ride elsewhere this weekend?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Just had look at the BoM site, flood warnings for the lower Yarra. Lysterfield possibly turning into a muddy bog as we type. bugger

    http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV36310.txt

    Lower Reaches of Yarra River
    The water levels in the lower reaches of the Yarra River at Fitzsimons, Banksia Street [Heidelberg], Chandler Highway [Fairfield], and Johnston Street
    [Abbotsford] are still rising. The river level at Banksia Street is now
    slightly above the Minor Flood Level.

    Watts River at Healesville
    The water level in Watts River at Healesville is below the Minor Flood Level and currently falling .

    Minor flooding along the Yarra River is affecting low-lying areas adjacent to
    the river, in particular bicycle / pedestrian paths and parklands, and is
    expected to continue through this weekend.

    Lower Yarra
    Yarra River at Fitzsimons: 3.07m, rising [Minor Flood Level 3.5m]
    Yarra River at Banksia St: 6.02m, rising [Minor Flood lvel 6.0m]
    Yarra River at Chandler Highway: 2.47m, rising[MinorFlood Level 3.0m]
    Yarra River at Johnston St: 2.61m, rising [Minor Flood Level 3.2m]
    Yarra River at Hawthorn: 1.37m, rising
    Yarra River at Burnley: 0.96m, rising
    Yarra River at Hanna St: 0.80m, falling

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    There must be an aqua-bike somewhere out there!
    not that one that goes on the surface, but a james bond type that has wheels that flip up to reveal hydro-jets or summat.

    OT-but noticed new EBL's put in along Coppin, south of Swan

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Just had a check of the river along Abbotsford, bloody huge peppercorn tree has keeled over virtually on those pesky Gipps Street Steps. Perhaps Mother Nature is showing her displeasure at them too!

    Rest of the bikepath in the area is Donna Buang (ie: Sightseers Only). Kayakers around Dights, but far too many snags floating downstream for them to venture out further.

  4. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Just had look at the BoM site, flood warnings for the lower Yarra.
    > Lysterfield possibly turning into a muddy bog as we type. bugger
    >
    > http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV36310.txt
    >
    > Lower Reaches of Yarra River
    > The water levels in the lower reaches of the Yarra River at Fitzsimons,
    > Banksia Street [Heidelberg], Chandler Highway [Fairfield], and Johnston
    > Street
    > [Abbotsford] are still rising. The river level at Banksia Street is
    > now
    > slightly above the Minor Flood Level.
    >
    > Watts River at Healesville
    > The water level in Watts River at Healesville is below the Minor Flood
    > Level and currently falling .
    >
    > Minor flooding along the Yarra River is affecting low-lying areas
    > adjacent to
    > the river, in particular bicycle / pedestrian paths and parklands, and
    > is
    > expected to continue through this weekend.
    >

    > Lower Yarra
    > Yarra River at Fitzsimons: 3.07m, rising [Minor Flood Level 3.5m]
    > Yarra River at Banksia St: 6.02m, rising [Minor Flood lvel 6.0m]
    > Yarra River at Chandler Highway: 2.47m, rising[MinorFlood Level 3.0m]
    > Yarra River at Johnston St: 2.61m, rising [Minor Flood Level 3.2m]
    > Yarra River at Hawthorn: 1.37m, rising
    > Yarra River at Burnley: 0.96m, rising
    > Yarra River at Hanna St: 0.80m, falling
    >
    > --
    > cfsmtb

    At about 10:30pm last night I was sick of studying (working on final
    assignment for the year) and as I was away with work during the week I was
    toey for a ride. It was pissing down with rain but I thought "what the
    hell", went out and strapped on a set of lights to the singlespeed mtb and
    went for a ride. It was dark, wild, and windy and I was definately the only
    one out on the Yarra Trail. There were a few big branches and trees down
    but the lights lit them up in plenty of time for me to miss most of them.
    There were stacks of puddles and I got absolutely soaked (didn't even bother
    with mudguards). I only rode for about 45 min or so in total (couldn't go
    further due to river being up) but it was great fun and a good adrenalin
    rush. I think I am going to have to come up with a helmet mounted light
    next to give me a bit of extra light for seeing around corners in the dark
    before my next outing.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  5. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    A few lunatic souls tried Mt Hotham this weekend :eek: - should have taken the skis instead!

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "warrwych" <[email protected]
    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    > > Just had look at the BoM site, flood warnings for the lower Yarra.
    > > Lysterfield possibly turning into a muddy bog as we type. bugger

    > A few lunatic souls tried Mt Hotham this weekend :eek: - should have
    > taken the skis instead!

    Carl took some of the aboc'ers up into the hills..
    Is that the bunch you're talking about?
    Apparently it snowed!!

    hippy
    still not happy about being stuck in the office,
    even if the alternative was snow!

  7. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Hi Hippy,

    yep that was us! Where were you???????????????? Carl and a couple of others rode Mt H - Omeo - Mt H on Saturday - they looked so like *europros* covered in that snow hehehe
    :D

    Lawrence
    who chickened out on riding in the snow and got duly bagged for it :p

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "warrwych" <war[email protected]
    > > Carl took some of the aboc'ers up into the hills..
    > > Is that the bunch you're talking about?
    > > Apparently it snowed!!
    > >
    > > hippy
    > > still not happy about being stuck in the office,
    > > even if the alternative was snow!

    > yep that was us! Where were you???????????????? Carl and a couple of

    Working all weekend.. :-(

    > others rode Mt H - Omeo - Mt H on Saturday - they looked so like
    > *europros* covered in that snow hehehe

    Neil was telling me about it! I'd have flown off the
    back and then frozen to death :)

    > Lawrence
    > who chickened out on riding in the snow and got duly bagged for it :p

    Have we met? Were you at dinner the other night?
    I'm racking my brain, but all I've got so far is that lost
    locknut, some lint and half a can of V. ;-)

    hippy

  9. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    no, we havent met (yet). I missed the dinner unfortunately. And why are you wasting that half can of VB (apart from the fact that it IS VB)??? It must be flat by now :p

  10. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    hmm sorry about the layout of my previous post - was trying to reply in text... buggered it up...

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "warrwych" <[email protected]
    > > hippy
    > > Have we met? Were you at dinner the other night?
    > > I'm racking my brain, but all I've got so far is that lost
    > > locknut, some lint and half a can of V. ;-)

    > no, we havent met (yet). I missed the dinner unfortunately. And why are
    > you wasting that half can of VB (apart from the fact that it IS VB)???
    > It must be flat by now :p

    No.. it was "V" and it wasn't wasted.. it was in storage :)

    hippy

  12. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    sorry - for some wierd reason I associate "hippy" and "beer" in the same thoughtspace :rolleyes: