Ye gods!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!

    AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On 20 Apr 2003 11:53:09 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!

    Don't worry, you'll soon be going quicker. Cycling computers whisper to you....

    "Go a bit faster"

    "Go on, pedal harder"

    "Only 16mph? You're not trying"

    Bloody slave drivers they are.

    Bob

  3. >Don't worry, you'll soon be going quicker. Cycling computers whisper to you....

    Bu**er that! I like pootling about the lanes :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm
    going!

    > AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

    Stick another magnet on then :)

    cheers, clive

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!
    >
    > AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

    Don't worry. Once you get more than 20ft from home, the power cord gets pulled out the socket and
    the computer stops working ;-) Hope it was a laptop, desktops weigh too much to be carting them
    round on your bike.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!
    >
    > AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

    If I were you I'd immediately take it off again (or ask him to, very sweetly). St. Paul of all
    people had something pertinent to say about cycling computers: 'Everything is permitted, but not
    everything is helpful.'

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!

    Have a look in the manual, then tell the computer your wheel's slightly bigger than it really is.
    That way it'll look like you're going faster. It'll also do good things for your mileage ;-)

    Thomas Paine

  8. >If I were you I'd immediately take it off again (or ask him to, very sweetly). St. Paul of all
    >people had something pertinent to say about cycling computers: 'Everything is permitted, but not
    >everything is helpful.'

    Could be right Scott. Thing is he didn't put a computer on his own bike - even though there is one
    to go on it. I smell a conspiracy to get me to speed up on the bike. I shall resist. Resistance is
    *not* futile!

    Cheers, helen s

    "We are Borg of Dyslexia. Resistors are fertile - prepare to have your ass laminated"

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. >Have a look in the manual, then tell the computer your wheel's slightly bigger than it really is.
    >That way it'll look like you're going faster. It'll also do good things for your mileage ;-)

    Danny! You *sweetie* I think you have just explained the benefit of a cycling computer!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!
    >
    > AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

    If there's a choice (as there is with Cateye Mity 3 for example), make sure it's set on "riding
    time" mode (or whatever they call it). Then the time spent stationary will not be factored in. To
    all who gaze upon your computer screen, you /will/ have done the distance in a short time at a
    decent average speed! Cheating? No, we all do it, don't we? :)

    ~PB

  11. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Vernon has put a computer on my bike ... now I'll *know* how slow I'm going!

    If it's cordless, try putting a mobile phone near the display and moving it around gently - I got
    my son's to register 90mph that way, and it will clock up 30mph indefinately if you find the
    right spot.

    Graham

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > >Have a look in the manual, then tell the computer your wheel's slightly bigger than it really is.
    > >That way it'll look like you're going faster. It'll also do good things for your mileage ;-)
    >
    > Danny! You *sweetie* I think you have just explained the benefit of a
    cycling
    > computer!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Careful Helen...you may end up arriving before you've left and proving every distance sign on your
    route wildly inaccurate ;-) Dave.

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Careful Helen...you may end up arriving before you've left and proving
    every
    > distance sign on your route wildly inaccurate ;-) Dave.

    Well in that case, for Einstein's equations to be true she MUST have been travelling at near the
    speed of light :)

    Slab fairies can you know!!

  14. Guess what???

    I have discovered the joys of a cycle computer and how it can *immediately* improve my cycling
    performance! I cycled over to the docs this morning and somehow, on the way there, I pressed the
    wrong button/too many buttons/wrong combination of buttons on the cycle computer. As a result,
    cycling home I found a stretch of road where, on the way to the docs, on a slightly downhill stretch
    I was pootling at 15- 16mph and on the way back, on same stretch of road, now an uphill section, I
    was doing 35mph.

    Fancy that! I could get used to this!

    Cheers, helen s