yeah, another "help me choose a bike!"

Sham

Jun 27, 2005
although i live my felt road bike, it can't be used all the time. especially since none of my friends or family can keep up with me on it. :rolleyes:
so, time to have a nice mountain bike.
i'm about 5'5" now... i'm 17 and pretty much done growing. i ride a 50cm road bike...probably 16" for mountain.
i don't need a womens specific bike...i have a longer torso for my height so, i'd rather have a cool paint job...like green or dark blue or something not pastel! :cool:
i DO plan on going off road. hopefully a lot! i really love to go through gravel, jump curbs, anything... except doing flips. :)

i've looked at some gary fisher bikes--Marlin, advance, tassagra, and some rather unimpressive treks. i like the Marlin the most, the colors and features. it's great, but i don't feel like it's THE ONE.
i've also looked at the Kona bikes. online. and i love 'em. but i have to go to Canada (5 miles) to get one... i don't have a problem with that, but my source of transportation--my mother itn't looking forward to me shelling maybe $600 CND with all taxes. anyhow, on with my searching...

would something like the Kona SHRED be worth while for me?
and what exactly is dirt jumping? :confused: what's the type of biking that's kind of like motocross? (because that looks way fun!)

thanks in advance for help!:)

Sham said:
although i live my felt road bike, it can't be used all the time. especially since none of my friends or family can keep up with me on it. :rolleyes:
i'm about 5'5" now... i'm 17 and pretty much done growing. i ride a 50cm road bike...probably 16" for mountain.
i don't need a womens specific bike...i have a longer torso for my height so, i'd rather have a cool paint job...like green or dark blue or something not pastel! :cool:
i DO plan on going off road. hopefully a lot! i really love to go through gravel, jump curbs, anything... except doing flips. :)

i've looked at some gary fisher bikes--Marlin, advance, tassagra, and some rather unimpressive treks. i like the Marlin the most, the colors and features. it's great, but i don't feel like it's THE ONE.
i've also looked at the Kona bikes. online. and i love 'em. but i have to go to Canada (5 miles) to get one... i don't have a problem with that, but my source of transportation--my mother itn't looking forward to me shelling maybe $600 CND with all taxes. anyhow, on with my searching...

and what exactly is dirt jumping? :confused: what's the type of biking that's kind of like motocross? (because that looks way fun!)

Kona's are pretty nice.. check out www.mtbr.com for reviews on all kinda of bikes. Im shopping for a bike in a similar price range, though I was looking at the Kona Blast and Kona Cinder Cone. My research has led me more towards the Fuji Outland Pro, a tad pricier but seems more solidly built, less complaints about components too. If you really want to save some dough, check out Motobecane (online somewhere). They seem to have serviceable bikes at a deep discount.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_700HTy.htm

again, consider that I am a bikeless intermediate rider at the moment, and I am in the research phase as are you. I have owned Nishiki and Trek in the past, but none of the newer higher end componentry on todays bikes.

thanks! :) i'm not quite bike-less, i have a felt road bike ('04 F70) that i love! i need a bike that i can ride around a bit, and do anything off-road with it. fujis are really hard to come by around here.

esCarbonie said:
Kona's are pretty nice.. check out www.mtbr.com for reviews on all kinda of bikes. Im shopping for a bike in a similar price range, though I was looking at the Kona Blast and Kona Cinder Cone. My research has led me more towards the Fuji Outland Pro, a tad pricier but seems more solidly built, less complaints about components too. If you really want to save some dough, check out Motobecane (online somewhere). They seem to have serviceable bikes at a deep discount.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_700HTy.htm

again, consider that I am a bikeless intermediate rider at the moment, and I am in the research phase as are you. I have owned Nishiki and Trek in the past, but none of the newer higher end componentry on todays bikes.

did you check their website for a local dealer near you? doing a bit of a drive should be no biggie!

unless, there aren't any dealers within 5o-60 miles. i'm 17, i don't have a car. i'm lucky that my mom is awesome enough to be willing drive me an hour to get a bike. gary fishers seem to be the best bet .

esCarbonie said:
did you check their website for a local dealer near you? doing a bit of a drive should be no biggie!

i got the gary fisher marlin today...only did a short ride but, i think i'm gonna love it!:D i'm amazed ny the fork...the lock out opt. is hardly needed, because of the advancedments...i had read that, but wow, feeling is believing! i think i may change out the pedals...

Sham said:

I can totally help with this one! I am 5'3" and have a 04 specialized rockhopper, 17" frame. Its a little small for me, so you, being taller, would probably want between a 17 and 19" frame. I know you said you dont need a woman's specific, but, dude...they are NICE. The seats are more comfortable, plus, its not all about the distance to the handlebars. The handlebars are more narrow for narrower shoulders of the female kind, and the front suspension is custom-tailored for lighter riders...my bike has manitou six diva and they rock with 80 mm of travel...they have never topped or bottomed out. I would seriously take a good look at this bike...its about $500. Ultimately its about what feels right, so just go testing out some bikes at your lbs, they should be able to point you in the right direction! Hope i was helpful in some way.

I have had a trek 6000, which I don't think they make anymore, for about 5 years. It's an awesome bike and only cost me $550 new and they threw in some stuff with it. It hasn't had any problems so far, just needed new tires. It feels really weird though swtiching back and forth from a road bike to a mountain bike, it feels huge and weird. The trek 4500 is a little cheaper at about 500.

Sham said: