Year round cycling ?

motofranz

Sep 12, 2011
I am a casual cyclist that enjoys riding in warm and hot sunny weather mostly on bicycle trails in King County.
New to Washington state I noticed that the cycling season is very short compared to the Midwest.
How many of you cycle(weather permitting) year round?

I'd like to go for a ride right now but it is RAINING CATS AND DOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by motofranz .

I am a casual cyclist that enjoys riding in warm and hot sunny weather mostly on bicycle trails in King County.
New to Washington state I noticed that the cycling season is very short compared to the Midwest.

I'd like to go for a ride right now but it is RAINING CATS AND DOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!
The answers you get are going to depend on the person asked. For moi, the season never ends. There are just times when riding won't be done. Having lived in the desert Southwest, the Rockies, and the Midwest, I've pedaled year round in all those locations. I quite enjoy the variation in riding environment over the course of a year.

Out on the east coast it gets quite chilly in the winter but I love riding in the harsher conditions. AND on the plus side it is a great excuse to get new gear! =]

I generally have been a 8-9 month cyclist. This year I am trying to extend the season. I am investing in some winter wear that should allow me to get mileage in 10 or 11 months. In NC the last two winters have been unseasonably cold. Hopefully we can return to what it was the previous two years before that. In those years, I played golf almost every week. I wasn't into cycling then as I am now. As I get older, I seem to be more sensitive to the cold. I'm hoping my clothing choices are good ones. Right now the weather is great for riding. 50-70 degrees. I'm loving it.

I am a casual cyclist that enjoys riding in warm and hot sunny weather mostly on bicycle trails in King County....
That would have limited you to about a dozen or fewer days this summer depending on how you define 'hot and sunny'.

FWIW, I live in Seattle and ride year round. The only days I won't ride is those few days in the winter when it's rained and then the clouds pull back and the temps drop leaving hard to see water ice on the roads. Realistically that's only a handful of days each winter and most of the time it's wet and dark but with temps in the 40's or higher.

Most folks around here have a nice bike for riding in dry weather and a rain bike usually equipped with full fenders, heavier puncture resistant tires and often with disc or cantilever brakes for better wet weather stopping power along with blinky lights to help ensure we're visible on the nasty darker days. You get used to riding in the rain and if you dress well it's not a big deal. Sure you get wet as in soaked through regardless of what hi tech cycling garments you wear but as long as you stay warm it's not really a big deal. The roads have much better traction when wet than many folks imagine, especially with the coarse asphalt and chip seal roads that are popular around here.

It really pays to make peace with the rainy weather if you're going to live in the Pacific Northwet very long, riding in the rain is no big deal as long as you're reasonably well equipped for it. One bonus is that the longer rails to trails like the Burke Gilman, Sammamish River, Centennial and Interurban trails are much more fun to ride on wet days when you pretty much have them to yourself and aren't working your way through the hordes of sunny day trail users.

A lot of us make peace with the onset of rainy, colder and darker autumn weather by riding and racing cyclocross bikes. It brings out the inner child to rip around slipping and sliding in the mud on a cross bike and some of us actually start looking forward to wetter days. I see you started this thread yesterday while it was 'RAINING CATS AND DOGS', yeah yesterday was pretty wet but there were still upwards of seventy riders ranging in age from around 10 years old to those well into their 60s if not 70s out at Marymoor in Redmond last night having a blast ripping around the velodrome and the surrounding fields during the Wednesday night cyclocross practice session, yeah it was a muddy mess and I ended the evening with bike and body covered in mud and soaked through but it was still great fun, great training and beat the heck out of riding indoors on the trainer.

-Dave

I don't mind riding in the rain, but the cold can get a person......even if they have good cold weather gear. I rode the other day before daylight and it was 37 degrees. My core stayed fairly warm, but the fingers and toes were numb by the time I got back from a 20 mile ride. Right now, I ride 7 days per week, but when the cold hits........I am afraid that I will have to ride the spin bike a bit indoors.

I do plan to ride SOME outdoors all 12 months this year.

BTW, I am in TN. Jan/Feb are typically fairly wet, but sometimes the temps can be mild during the day topping-out in the mid-40s. I am good to ride any dry day above 35.

I ride every day, rain or shine.

Like others here I have a dry bike and a wet bike. My wet bike is an old hybrid that I've cleaned up. The V brakes are a bit sketchy, but I don't think I could convert to discs so I brake often and early. The bike looks like a christmas tree to help everyone see me, and I have lots of cool and cold weather gear.

Way more fun that spinning inside.

I ride year round. I prefer to road ride but on rain days that I have time to ride I go mountain biking. More mud more fun. Cold is not a problem at all.

I bicycle year around weather permitting. If I like the weather I go out and ride. I don't like to ride on ice so I don't ride on icy roads. I don't like people who tear up trails by riding on wet trails so I don't ride off road in the wet. I don't like blinding rain so I don't ride in heavy rain. I don't like strong winds so I don't ride on windy days.

Bicycling for a casual cyclist should be fun.