Year Round Cycling

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Lucky enough to have year round weather. Looking back at some cycling pics, I noticed the dark summer skin vs the lighter winter but yet still warm weather.

I tan quickly and even when I ride at night during the summer, I still feel like I get dark.

Can you, do you, cycle year round?

DSCN2698.JPG

20221009_105422.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
We also have year-round cycling as well but we also have lots of humidity and it doesn't really get any chilly even in the coldest season. Summers are brutally hot and humid and temperature index regularly exceeds 100F and the hot and and humid season can be as long as 10 months!

Given our hot and humid climate, I'd rather be somewhere colder even if there's snow. I don't mind riding fat tires and belt drive gravel bike or even a fat bike to deal with snowy rides. I've dealt with snow before and freezing temperatures is A LOT more tolerable than riding in hot and humid >100F temperatures!! If moving was only a bit easier, I would have gone somewhere much colder.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Focus on work? Don't we all? Well most of us. I worked 60 hour weeks as well as my wife and we managed to ride.

Now little kids that's a different story.
I can't ride all year :( at least because at certain times I have to focus more on work. I will definitely ride more often as soon as I can afford it!

I can't ride all year :( at least because at certain times I have to focus more on work. I will definitely ride more often as soon as I can afford it!
Work comes first, but it's great that you have something to look forward to when you have more free time. It's important to find a good balance between work and play.

Reactions: Addryn
Work comes first, but it's great that you have something to look forward to when you have more free time. It's important to find a good balance between work and play.

I work up to 7 days a week. On weekdays I have up to 30 minutes of free time to ride each day.

On weekends, I have up to 6 hours of free time to ride each day, enough to do century ride in ideal conditions with little traffic in routes that didn't require you to brake too often.

In reality, I don't take up all of my weekend free time to ride. Maybe 6 hrs on saturday and only 2 hrs on sunday. Just a little over 10 hrs of time to ride for the whole week.

That's perfect play and work balance for me because if I don't ride, I go crazy, I go nuts from dealing with mountains of stress the rest of the day. I ride to unwind to de-stress.

I work up to 7 days a week. On weekdays I have up to 30 minutes of free time to ride each day.

On weekends, I have up to 6 hours of free time to ride each day, enough to do century ride in ideal conditions with little traffic in routes that didn't require you to brake too often.

In reality, I don't take up all of my weekend free time to ride. Maybe 6 hrs on saturday and only 2 hrs on sunday. Just a little over 10 hrs of time to ride for the whole week.

That's perfect play and work balance for me because if I don't ride, I go crazy, I go nuts from dealing with mountains of stress the rest of the day. I ride to unwind to de-stress.
If there is a will, there is a way. One year I worked 6 days per week and still did 7300 miles that year including 23 centuries.

I remember a guy in a forum complaining, asking how could anybody work 40 hours per week and ride 2000 miles, it's impossible.

Heck Gina was working 55 hours per week and still did 4000 miles.

We all have to work, of course work comes first but if you WANT to ride, you're gonna ride.

If there is a will, there is a way. One year I worked 6 days per week and still did 7300 miles that year including 23 centuries.

I remember a guy in a forum complaining, asking how could anybody work 40 hours per week and ride 2000 miles, it's impossible.

Heck Gina was working 55 hours per week and still did 4000 miles.

We all have to work, of course work comes first but if you WANT to ride, you're gonna ride.

You're right, if you want to ride, you'll make a way!

About 5000 miles per year is probably my max. 4000 miles is incredible for 55 hr work week! I can do more if the smog and traffic isn't so bad even in the weekends!

On Saturday if I'm going to do a century, I head out very early like 4 am in the morning so I still have plenty of time for the rest of the day to do other things like spending time with parents or even work!

I have spent all of the time since last November shivering in this climate change.

Hey there! I totally get the struggle with climate changes affecting performance. It's tough when you've put in so much effort to excel in cycling, only to be met with unpredictable weather conditions. But hey, let's focus on what we can control – our training and preparation. Have you tried incorporating specific workouts or gear adjustments to optimize your performance in any weather? It's all about adapting and staying one step ahead. Keep striving for those wins! ‍♀️