Year round sports in my neck of the woods.

Maggie

Guest
As I woke up to another NJ snow storm, which will probably keep the
snow and ice on the ground for another month, I wondered why I bought a
bike in September.

Between the freezing temps, the rain, and the snow storms, it has not
been easy to get any riding out of my new found hobby. My bike at the
gym and the one in my basement are the only bikes I seem able to ride.
And you can not compare that to riding outdoors. It is totally
different.

Seems all other sports can be taken indoors. I can play tennis
indoors, swim indoors, walk indoor tracks, run on indoor tracks, roller
skate at the roller rink, but where the hell do I take my bike and ride
during the winter. Plus, as winter comes to a close, I am sure we will
get alot of rain this spring.

Take that into consideration, plus the fact that I work all week and
run a business in the evening and it narrows down to weekends for
distance riding during the good weather months. How much time is that??

I am not the kind of person who will ride through storms, rain, hail,
gusty winds and all the other horrid riding conditions Mother Nature
wants to bestow upon us so I wait for the good days.

Maybe thats why so many guys in my area of Jersey seem to think riding
a bicycle is a girly sport. (Those are not my words, don't beat me up
over it).... Plus no one in Jersey wears spandex except "Jersey
girls" caught in a time warp with Big Hair...;-) There are definately
alot of motorcycles here though.

Did I have a point when I started writing this. Yes I did. IT'S
SNOWING AGAIN and my bicycle is rotting away in the shed.

I guess I am a little bummed out today by another snow storm.
Shoveling out to get to work at 7:00 a.m. while you are freezing your
ass off, can put anyone in a bad mood. Well, at least I got some
exercise I suppose. Thanks for allowing me to rant.
All Good Things
Maggie
http://www.walkamerica.org/lindabuset
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:35:12 -0800, Maggie wrote:

> Seems all other sports can be taken indoors. I can play tennis
> indoors, swim indoors, walk indoor tracks, run on indoor tracks, roller
> skate at the roller rink, but where the hell do I take my bike and ride
> during the winter. Plus, as winter comes to a close, I am sure we will
> get alot of rain this spring.

Maybe we'll get an indoor velodrome around here soon?

> Take that into consideration, plus the fact that I work all week and
> run a business in the evening and it narrows down to weekends for
> distance riding during the good weather months. How much time is that??

Maybe you'll re-define your idea of what "good" weather is. Dressed
appropriately, you can have enjoyable riding all year round in this
climate, except when it is actually raining or snowing hard.

> I am not the kind of person who will ride through storms, rain, hail,
> gusty winds and all the other horrid riding conditions Mother Nature
> wants to bestow upon us so I wait for the good days.

Try it in a gentle snowfall. Great experience.

> Maybe thats why so many guys in my area of Jersey seem to think riding a
> bicycle is a girly sport. (Those are not my words, don't beat me up
> over it).... Plus no one in Jersey wears spandex except "Jersey girls"
> caught in a time warp with Big Hair...;-)

Lots of guys I know (and girls) wear spandex. But then...

> Did I have a point when I started writing this. Yes I did. IT'S SNOWING
> AGAIN and my bicycle is rotting away in the shed.

Ah, c'mon. It's 4 inches.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I woke up to another NJ snow storm, which will probably keep the
> snow and ice on the ground for another month, I wondered why I bought a
> bike in September.
>
> Between the freezing temps, the rain, and the snow storms, it has not
> been easy to get any riding out of my new found hobby. My bike at the
> gym and the one in my basement are the only bikes I seem able to ride.
> And you can not compare that to riding outdoors. It is totally
> different.
>
> Seems all other sports can be taken indoors. I can play tennis
> indoors, swim indoors, walk indoor tracks, run on indoor tracks, roller
> skate at the roller rink, but where the hell do I take my bike and ride
> during the winter. Plus, as winter comes to a close, I am sure we will
> get alot of rain this spring.
>
> Take that into consideration, plus the fact that I work all week and
> run a business in the evening and it narrows down to weekends for
> distance riding during the good weather months. How much time is that??
>

> I am not the kind of person who will ride through storms, rain, hail,
> gusty winds and all the other horrid riding conditions Mother Nature
> wants to bestow upon us so I wait for the good days.
>
> Maybe thats why so many guys in my area of Jersey seem to think riding
> a bicycle is a girly sport. (Those are not my words, don't beat me up
> over it).... Plus no one in Jersey wears spandex except "Jersey
> girls" caught in a time warp with Big Hair...;-) There are definately
> alot of motorcycles here though.
>
> Did I have a point when I started writing this. Yes I did. IT'S
> SNOWING AGAIN and my bicycle is rotting away in the shed.
>
> I guess I am a little bummed out today by another snow storm.
> Shoveling out to get to work at 7:00 a.m. while you are freezing your
> ass off, can put anyone in a bad mood. Well, at least I got some
> exercise I suppose. Thanks for allowing me to rant.
> All Good Things
> Maggie
> http://www.walkamerica.org/lindabuset
> http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

Winter is a tough time of the year for riding. If you get enough snow you
can take up XC skiing. It's great cross training. I still ride if the temp
is at least in the upper 20's, so even in the Chicago area we've gotten a
couple hundred miles in 2005 so far. Many riders can tolerate much more, as
you've probably seen in this group. Keep up your great motivation. It's fun
to see!

You've made another comment about the guys in your area and their judgements
about sports. Sounds like an unusual culture you're living in. I at least
hope these guys spouting off these strange ideas are the kind of men who
play sports every weekend not just watch them while feeding their beer
bellies....now that's girly...
jb

On 21 Feb 2005 06:35:12 -0800, "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>As I woke up to another NJ snow storm, which will probably keep the
>snow and ice on the ground for another month, I wondered why I bought a
>bike in September.
>
>Between the freezing temps, the rain, and the snow storms, it has not
>been easy to get any riding out of my new found hobby. My bike at the
>gym and the one in my basement are the only bikes I seem able to ride.
>And you can not compare that to riding outdoors. It is totally
>different.
>
>Seems all other sports can be taken indoors. I can play tennis
>indoors, swim indoors, walk indoor tracks, run on indoor tracks, roller
>skate at the roller rink, but where the hell do I take my bike and ride
>during the winter. Plus, as winter comes to a close, I am sure we will
>get alot of rain this spring.
>
>Take that into consideration, plus the fact that I work all week and
>run a business in the evening and it narrows down to weekends for
>distance riding during the good weather months. How much time is that??
>

>I am not the kind of person who will ride through storms, rain, hail,
>gusty winds and all the other horrid riding conditions Mother Nature
>wants to bestow upon us so I wait for the good days.
>
>Maybe thats why so many guys in my area of Jersey seem to think riding
>a bicycle is a girly sport. (Those are not my words, don't beat me up
>over it).... Plus no one in Jersey wears spandex except "Jersey
>girls" caught in a time warp with Big Hair...;-) There are definately
>alot of motorcycles here though.
>
>Did I have a point when I started writing this. Yes I did. IT'S
>SNOWING AGAIN and my bicycle is rotting away in the shed.
>
>I guess I am a little bummed out today by another snow storm.
>Shoveling out to get to work at 7:00 a.m. while you are freezing your
>ass off, can put anyone in a bad mood. Well, at least I got some
>exercise I suppose. Thanks for allowing me to rant.
>All Good Things
>Maggie

One word: Florida.

You are welcome to come on down. Just head down I-95 until the weather is
agreeable.

Works for me anyway.

Ron

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:19:33 -0600, "Jim Boyer" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> As I woke up to another NJ snow storm, which will probably keep the
>> snow and ice on the ground for another month, I wondered why I bought a
>> bike in September.
>>
>> Between the freezing temps, the rain, and the snow storms, it has not
>> been easy to get any riding out of my new found hobby. My bike at the
>> gym and the one in my basement are the only bikes I seem able to ride.
>> And you can not compare that to riding outdoors. It is totally
>> different.
>>
>> Seems all other sports can be taken indoors. I can play tennis
>> indoors, swim indoors, walk indoor tracks, run on indoor tracks, roller
>> skate at the roller rink, but where the hell do I take my bike and ride
>> during the winter. Plus, as winter comes to a close, I am sure we will
>> get alot of rain this spring.
>>
>> Take that into consideration, plus the fact that I work all week and
>> run a business in the evening and it narrows down to weekends for
>> distance riding during the good weather months. How much time is that??
>>

>> I am not the kind of person who will ride through storms, rain, hail,
>> gusty winds and all the other horrid riding conditions Mother Nature
>> wants to bestow upon us so I wait for the good days.
>>
>> Maybe thats why so many guys in my area of Jersey seem to think riding
>> a bicycle is a girly sport. (Those are not my words, don't beat me up
>> over it).... Plus no one in Jersey wears spandex except "Jersey
>> girls" caught in a time warp with Big Hair...;-) There are definately
>> alot of motorcycles here though.
>>
>> Did I have a point when I started writing this. Yes I did. IT'S
>> SNOWING AGAIN and my bicycle is rotting away in the shed.
>>
>> I guess I am a little bummed out today by another snow storm.
>> Shoveling out to get to work at 7:00 a.m. while you are freezing your
>> ass off, can put anyone in a bad mood. Well, at least I got some
>> exercise I suppose. Thanks for allowing me to rant.
>> All Good Things
>> Maggie
>> http://www.walkamerica.org/lindabuset
>> http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

>Winter is a tough time of the year for riding. If you get enough snow you
>can take up XC skiing. It's great cross training. I still ride if the temp
>is at least in the upper 20's, so even in the Chicago area we've gotten a
>couple hundred miles in 2005 so far. Many riders can tolerate much more, as
>you've probably seen in this group. Keep up your great motivation. It's fun
>to see!
>
>You've made another comment about the guys in your area and their judgements
>about sports. Sounds like an unusual culture you're living in. I at least
>hope these guys spouting off these strange ideas are the kind of men who
>play sports every weekend not just watch them while feeding their beer
>bellies....now that's girly...

Yeah, and happily living among these lard-asses, bigots and goobers is our
Maggie who thinks nothing of talking about how fearful she is of Southerners and
other rural types.

Go figure.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> [...]

> >couple hundred miles in 2005 so far. Many riders can tolerate much

more, as
> >you've probably seen in this group. Keep up your great motivation.

It's fun
> >to see!
> >
> >You've made another comment about the guys in your area and their

judgements
> >about sports. Sounds like an unusual culture you're living in. I at

least
> >hope these guys spouting off these strange ideas are the kind of men

who
> >play sports every weekend not just watch them while feeding their

beer
> >bellies....now that's girly...

> Yeah, and happily living among these lard-asses, bigots and goobers

is our
> Maggie who thinks nothing of talking about how fearful she is of

Hey, I grew up in Jersey. I guess we fear what we don't know. I have a
Jersey mentality too I guess. I can't help it. I go to the midwest and
want to knock the people in the head because they talk too slow. I'm
not proud of that. I never said I was proud of that. I'm comfortable
living in Jersey. I've been here a hell of a long time. What are the
chances I could move down south and fit in? Huh? I don't think so.
I'm not even comfortable way up north jersey where all those farms are.
;-)
All Good things,
Maggie

wrote:

> >As I woke up to another NJ snow storm, which will probably keep the
> >snow and ice on the ground for another month, I wondered why I

bought a
> >bike in September.
> >
> >Between the freezing temps, the rain, and the snow storms, it has

not
> >been easy to get any riding out of my new found hobby. My bike at

the
> >gym and the one in my basement are the only bikes I seem able to

ride.
> >And you can not compare that to riding outdoors. It is totally
> >different.
> >
> >Seems all other sports can be taken indoors. I can play tennis
> >indoors, swim indoors, walk indoor tracks, run on indoor tracks,

roller
> >skate at the roller rink, but where the hell do I take my bike and

ride
> >during the winter. Plus, as winter comes to a close, I am sure we

will
> >get alot of rain this spring.
> >
> >Take that into consideration, plus the fact that I work all week and
> >run a business in the evening and it narrows down to weekends for
> >distance riding during the good weather months. How much time is

that??

> >I am not the kind of person who will ride through storms, rain,

hail,
> >gusty winds and all the other horrid riding conditions Mother Nature
> >wants to bestow upon us so I wait for the good days.
> >
> >Maybe thats why so many guys in my area of Jersey seem to think

riding
> >a bicycle is a girly sport. (Those are not my words, don't beat me

up
> >over it).... Plus no one in Jersey wears spandex except "Jersey
> >girls" caught in a time warp with Big Hair...;-) There are

definately
> >alot of motorcycles here though.
> >
> >Did I have a point when I started writing this. Yes I did. IT'S
> >SNOWING AGAIN and my bicycle is rotting away in the shed.
> >
> >I guess I am a little bummed out today by another snow storm.
> >Shoveling out to get to work at 7:00 a.m. while you are freezing

your
> >ass off, can put anyone in a bad mood. Well, at least I got some
> >exercise I suppose. Thanks for allowing me to rant.
> >All Good Things
> >Maggie

> One word: Florida.
>
> You are welcome to come on down. Just head down I-95 until the

weather is
> agreeable.
>
> Works for me anyway.
>
> Ron

I go to Florida every summer to see the relatives. All of my mothers
family migrated to Florida years and years ago. We opted to stay here.
I spent the month of August in Florida one year and came home with sun
poisoning. I was 19 at the time. I learned a hard lesson about Florida
in the summer. I did wonder why everyone stayed indoors most of the
day...or went from their air conditioned house, to their air
conditioned car, to their air conditioned office. August was brutal.
And I was young then....I don't think I could handle the humidity now.
I do love Boca in winter though. ;-)
All Good Things,
Maggie

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:50:05 -0800, Maggie wrote:

> Hey, I grew up in Jersey. I guess we fear what we don't know. I have a
> Jersey mentality too I guess. I can't help it. I go to the midwest and
> want to knock the people in the head because they talk too slow.

I grew up in California. Moved to Massachusetts for grad school; couldn't
understand people half the time since they talked so fast. Then I
moved to Texas, and no one could understand me 'cause I talked so
fast.

> living in Jersey. I've been here a hell of a long time. What are the
> chances I could move down south and fit in? Huh? I don't think so.

Depends on where in the South you move to.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

David L. Johnson wrote:
> Maybe we'll get an indoor velodrome around here soon?

Well David, I am proud to say that we had a velodrome in our town a
long, long time ago. The 1/7-mile, 45 degrees-banked wood oval was
built in 1933 and opened for bicycle racing.

It closed in 1937 after interest in bicycle racing dropped off.

It was demolished in February of 1942.

A park was built on the site.

I don't think there is a chance they will build another one.

All Good Things
Maggie