Yearly mileage?

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
So I'm sitting here trying to figure out my goals for the season. This will be by second year riding. I had initally set a goal of 3000 miles and 275 hours. Running the numbers it looks like that will be VERY easy to hit with just a minimal effort. I figured that I couldn't ride (at all) from the middle of November to about the first of April. That works out to 135 days. That leaves me 230 days to ride. If I ride 1 hour a day at 20 mph, 5 days a week over that time, that works out to 3286 miles. This doesn't seem that hard to me. So, I'm reassessing my goals. My number will be higher.....

Lonnie Utah said:
So I'm sitting here trying to figure out my goals for the season. This will be by second year riding. I had initally set a goal of 3000 miles and 275 hours. Running the numbers it looks like that will be VERY easy to hit with just a minimal effort. I figured that I couldn't ride (at all) from the middle of November to about the first of April. That works out to 135 days. That leaves me 230 days to ride. If I ride 1 hour a day at 20 mph, 5 days a week over that time, that works out to 3286 miles. This doesn't seem that hard to me. So, I'm reassessing my goals. My number will be higher.....
Oops, I put in the number of km I did last year (6500). Anyone who does 10,000 miles (16,000 km) must have a very sore bum and a sympathetic boss, family and no lawn to mow!

Spider1977 said:
Oops, I put in the number of km I did last year (6500). Anyone who does 10,000 miles (16,000 km) must have a very sore bum and a sympathetic boss, family and no lawn to mow!

not necessarily. If you have a 20 mile each way commute to work, perhaps an hour each way (many people spend much longer in their cars commuting) then, then you get 10 000 miles from 250 working days.

Or 15 miles each way commuting, and 60 miles every sunday.

Last Year:
Mountain Miles? 500.
Commuter Miles? 750.
Road Miles? 2000.
Or All of the Above? 3250.

Plans for This Year:
Mountain Miles: 750.
Commuter Miles: 1250.
Road Miles: 2500.
Plus about 250 lightly loaded Touring Miles.
Or All of the Above: 4250.

I live in the Happy Valley. Land of Utah's worst temperature inversions. I still have 2 feet of snow on my lawn. The riding season up here is short but I still get out until mid-November and start riding again in mid-March.

I'll probably get less than a dozen rides in through the winter. One early December and one late March ride with the friends in the Wasatch Womens' Cycling Club, three to five rides out in the ice and snow on studded tires, the Utah Rocky Mountain Bike Club's Frozen Hog mountain bike race at Lambert Park in Alpine, plus a few commuter rides when the roads are clear and the temperatures soar into the high 30F's.

Between now and springtime I snowshoe and XC ski to keep in shape and spend an hour a week on the trainer to keep the spinning legs from becoming totally atrophied.

I rode 5,000 on my rode bike and over 1000 on my fixed gear last year Total 6,000+

1300 From the beginning of August when I bought my road bike, to the end of December. I plan to at least double if not triple that figure, since I will have March to June in addition to my longer ride distances now.

Lonnie Utah said:
A recent thread ...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t20477...e-in-2004-amp-what-type-of-rider-are-you.html

Lonnie Utah said:
Looks good, but that one had no poll! :)

L

BTW Doc, your comments in another thead got me thinking about this...
The one about 3000 miles not being too much? or something like that? Yeah, some of these guys log way more miles than I'm willing to. They're pretty serious about it. I don't have the desire to put in that many miles. And for what I'm trying to accomplish as a recreational/fitness rider I don't think it is necessary.

I've recently planned my cycing goals for 2005. I know I won't get 10,000 miles in as that's 200 miles per week for 50 weeks. I may have a few weeks with that kind of mileage but it wouldn't be consistant. I'm figuring on putting in approx. 100 miles a week on average. I ride pretty slowly as I'm getting older and don't recover like I used to. Also, I'm trying to keep my knees from giving out. If they quit on me I'm finished as I have a bad back and cycling is about the only form of aerobic exercise I can do anymore. Long gone are the days of jogging 3 - 5 miles.

So let's say an average of 15 MPH for 7 hours. That gives me ~100 miles/week. By Spring I'll be doing a 50 miler on weekends for my long day so that will leave only 50 miles to do during the week, which can be broken down into two 1 hour sessions and one 1 1/2 hour session. That's pretty realistic for me and I should be able to recover fully between these efforts. Of course, some of these weeks will have exceptionally nice weather and I'll want to do an extra 50 miler on the weekend so that will fit in nicely.

Again, I'm not a racer. I'm just not capable. I'm too old, too heavy and have a genetic predisposition towards fast twitch muscle fiber. Fitness and living healtier is where it's at for me. That's my game plan.

rob of the og said:
not necessarily. If you have a 20 mile each way commute to work, perhaps an hour each way (many people spend much longer in their cars commuting) then, then you get 10 000 miles from 250 working days.

Or 15 miles each way commuting, and 60 miles every sunday.
250 working days - you are kidding! This is Australia, the land of the long weekend! 52 weekends x 2 days = 104, 4 weeks annual leave x 5 = 20 days, 14 public holdays. 356 - 138 = 218 working days. That doesn't include sickies and rostered days off etc. Oh and don't forget there is 3 month's long service leave if you work for 10 years in the public service or 15 in the private sector. That's why there are so many veteren cyclists here (me included). We've got heaps of time to ride the bike!

Around 9500 last year, it`ll have to be more than 12 000 this season if all will go OK!