Yelling

Germanrazor

May 6, 2020
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people yell at cyclist when we are obeying the traffic laws and minding our business?

Yesterday for the first time in a long time a vehicle on a side road at a stop sign yelled as I rode by. I really did not understand what they were saying but it wasn’t “Keep up the pace buddy”.

There is that one primal side of me that wants to extricate them through the window and teach them manners but I realize they are in a motorized vehicle and I am not.

Just can’t figure out their need to show their stupidity.

Reactions: Jorg Schlagheck
I guess I am lucky. I have never had any driver shout negative comments at me or us on the tandem while riding on the road.

Have had a few women shout things like,"you guys are doing great!!", while climbing on the tandem.

Few times other women have pulled over and shouted out to Gina how great she was doing while climbing the local mountain roads.

Once had a hot chick in a convertible ride by and give me a shout, "doing great!".

Once I had a dude who stopped at a park to do maintenance run out to the road as I rolled by. He shouted, wow you are fast man, I passed you in my truck way back there and you're already rolling by on up the hill.

Guess I am just lucky! :D

I 2nd the asshole thing.

I had a guy yell at me that bikes don't belong on the street, plus some colored metaphors, I chased the guy down to a red light and explained to him that he needs to get a 3rd grade education so he could read and understand the laws concerning bikes on the road. He took off with a bit of tire squeal but didn't say anything.

I had another situation with another guy saying the same sort of thing except added that I might get ran over by him, I chased him for 4 blocks and asked him to step outside his car so we can deal with his problem...he apologized with a shaking voice, saying he meant that he was looking out for my safety?! LOL!! what a dufus.

I also hate those immature morons with the diesel pickup trucks that delete their emissions controls so they can roll coal as it's called, this is where the truck emits a high volume of thick black smoke, and they like to do it when passing joggers and cyclists.

Reactions: Jorg Schlagheck
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people yell at cyclist when we are obeying the traffic laws and minding our business?

Yesterday for the first time in a long time a vehicle on a side road at a stop sign yelled as I rode by. I really did not understand what they were saying but it wasn’t “Keep up the pace buddy”.

There is that one primal side of me that wants to extricate them through the window and teach them manners but I realize they are in a motorized vehicle and I am not.

I experience this on average once a week. I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada. We have a strong cycling community, but also a large number of oil workers, many of whom are jobless right now. There is a segment of the population who perceive anyone who does not burn fuel when they're travelling as the enemy, as silly as that may be. Further, they figure that the road belongs to them because they are paying for their registration and insurance. Bicycle infrastructure is critically lacking in our city and province, but riding on sidewalks is illegal. It means that cyclists are in a vulnerable situation. Another form of aggression is the way some drivers with their big diesel powered pickup truck accelerate to make sure a black cloud of soot surrounds the cyclist as they're pulling away. For some reason they have a set opinion about who cyclists are and they have made up their mind to hate them. This is very sad, but aggression against cyclists should be classified as assault and result in steep fines and suspension of driving privileges. We have too many vehicles on the road, probably world wide. It is time we got rid of bad drivers.

I experience this on average once a week. I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada. We have a strong cycling community, but also a large number of oil workers, many of whom are jobless right now. There is a segment of the population who perceive anyone who does not burn fuel when they're travelling as the enemy, as silly as that may be. Further, they figure that the road belongs to them because they are paying for their registration and insurance. Bicycle infrastructure is critically lacking in our city and province, but riding on sidewalks is illegal. It means that cyclists are in a vulnerable situation. Another form of aggression is the way some drivers with their big diesel powered pickup truck accelerate to make sure a black cloud of soot surrounds the cyclist as they're pulling away. For some reason they have a set opinion about who cyclists are and they have made up their mind to hate them. This is very sad, but aggression against cyclists should be classified as assault and result in steep fines and suspension of driving privileges. We have too many vehicles on the road, probably world wide. It is time we got rid of bad drivers.

The ole “Coal Roll”! I know......they don’t understand a cyclist uses both modes of transportation.

well I will say that not everyone follows the rules of Cycling! the hex and curse))

Hey, I'm with you on that one. It's baffling why some drivers get riled up when we're just following the rules. I've been in similar situations, and I get how frustrating it can be. But remember, we've got the advantage of being able to keep our cool and not let them get to us. Plus, we're doing something healthier for ourselves and the environment! Keep riding, and let's show them how it's done with a smile .

Must say, as far as the asshole thing, I've run across a few cyclists who just shout out heading the opposite direction just trying to startle other riders.

Assholes in every category. Just that cyclists feel the need to point out drivers.

It's unfortunate to encounter cyclists who intentionally startle others on the road. However, it's important to remember that not all cyclists behave this way. Just like in any group, there will always be a few individuals who spoil the experience for others. Let's focus on promoting positive interactions and respectful behavior between cyclists and drivers. Share the road, be considerate, and strive for a harmonious coexistence. ‍♀️ #RespectOnTheRoad