Yellow Dohickey on TDF Bikes?

H M Leary

Guest
I have noticed that all the bikes in the TDF have a yellow device on the
left chainstay.

It appears to be too far back to be a cadence sensor.

Freddy Poseurs want to know!

HAND

H M Leary wrote:
> I have noticed that all the bikes in the TDF have a yellow device on the
> left chainstay.
>
> It appears to be too far back to be a cadence sensor.
>
> Freddy Poseurs want to know!

AFAIK, that's an electronic sensor to ID them as they contest bunch
sprints, finishes, etc.

>H M Leary wrote:
>> I have noticed that all the bikes in the TDF have a yellow device on the
>> left chainstay.
>>
>> It appears to be too far back to be a cadence sensor.
>>
>> Freddy Poseurs want to know!

>AFAIK, that's an electronic sensor to ID them as they contest bunch
>sprints, finishes, etc.

I think you're right, and . . . from what I hear . . . Martha Stewart
knows how to remove them to elude detection ;-)

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:24:07 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>H M Leary wrote:
>>> I have noticed that all the bikes in the TDF have a yellow device on the
>>> left chainstay.
>>>
>>> It appears to be too far back to be a cadence sensor.
>>>
>>> Freddy Poseurs want to know!

>>AFAIK, that's an electronic sensor to ID them as they contest bunch
>>sprints, finishes, etc.

>I think you're right, and . . . from what I hear . . . Martha Stewart
>knows how to remove them to elude detection ;-)

Why would Martha not want to be classified in a bunch sprint?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:24:07 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>>AFAIK, that's an electronic sensor to ID them as they contest bunch
>>>sprints, finishes, etc.

>>I think you're right, and . . . from what I hear . . . Martha Stewart
>>knows how to remove them to elude detection ;-)

> Why would Martha not want to be classified in a bunch sprint?

'cos then the feds will know she's not at home where she's supposed to
be. (Unless, of course, contesting a bunch sprint counts as part of the
~48 hours/wk she's allowed to be at work).

[email protected] wrote:

> AFAIK, that's an electronic sensor to ID them as they contest bunch
> sprints, finishes, etc.

I'm surprised Tom Boonen hasn't tried moving his to the front fork ;-)

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:05:05 GMT, H M Leary <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have noticed that all the bikes in the TDF have a yellow device on the
>left chainstay.
>
>It appears to be too far back to be a cadence sensor.
>
>Freddy Poseurs want to know!

This comes up every year.

It's a tracking device used to ensure that none of the riders tries to
take a shortcut. If the bike leaves the course for more than about a
minute, the piece explodes, throwing purple dye around. It's
deactivated at the end of each stage by a special transmitter at the
finish point, and reactivated at the starting point the next day.
Previously, these reacted to a signal carried by a wire buried in the
road, but now they use a GPS matchup with the internally stored data
about the location of the route; the data is uploaded when the device
is activated at the starting point.

I thought everyone knew this by now. That's why Lance was in such a
godawful hurry to get down and back on the course after the infamous
spill last year.

(If you believe any of the above except the first line, I have a deal
on some coastal real estate in South Dakota that we need to discuss.)

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:15:39 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, that's an electronic sensor to ID them as they contest bunch
>> sprints, finishes, etc.
>>

>I'm surprised Tom Boonen hasn't tried moving his to the front fork ;-)

How do you know that he hasn't got the real one inside the fork, with
a dummy out on the chainstay?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:09:17 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This comes up every year.
>
>It's a tracking device used to ensure that none of the riders tries to
>take a shortcut.

<http://www.amb-it.com/>

Barry

Werehatrack wrote:

> It's a tracking device used to ensure that none of the riders tries to
> take a shortcut. If the bike leaves the course for more than about a
> minute, the piece explodes, throwing purple dye around.

Couldn't the riders wear explosive collars as in "Total Recall"?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:47:16 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>
>> It's a tracking device used to ensure that none of the riders tries to
>> take a shortcut. If the bike leaves the course for more than about a
>> minute, the piece explodes, throwing purple dye around.

>Couldn't the riders wear explosive collars as in "Total Recall"?

I think the French fashion sense would be outraged.
--

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> writes:

> Werehatrack wrote:
>
>> It's a tracking device used to ensure that none of the riders tries to
>> take a shortcut. If the bike leaves the course for more than about a
>> minute, the piece explodes, throwing purple dye around.

> Couldn't the riders wear explosive collars as in "Total Recall"?

Or like Brian Wells wore in Erie PA while robbing a bank in 2003.