Yellowstone trip

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Shade, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Shade

    Shade Guest

    Some months ago I posted a question on riding through Yellowstone. I got a lot of responses, most
    unfavorable.Thanks to those few that encouraged me to make the trip last week. It was a great trip.

    To those that thought it was a bad idea.. well, you were right too. The roads over 50% of the park
    are bad (no shoulders) which, compounded with the size of the RVs blowing by can give you a real
    thrill. I avoided the Northern half of the park due to bad roads and no interest in mountain
    climbing. The Southern half was worth the trip. Plenty of wildlife up close and personal!

    All the riding along the Yellowstone River and/or through the Central Valley was great. To those
    thinking of the ride I would encouage you to avoid the roads South of Roosevelt Lodge and just South
    of Mammoth Hot Springs. The South road to Roosevelt Lodge will be under construction this summer so
    maybe things will improve there.

    Tags:

  2. W. Morris

    W. Morris Guest

    My last trip to Yellowstone was about 6 years ago so can't comment on the current road conditions. I
    also got lots of advice beforehand to simoply forget it, especially during my time frame: the weeks
    before & after July 4th. I also ignored it, went and spent two great weeks in and around the park,
    biking, fishing and hiking. Had I not been away from following the newsgroup, I would have also
    encouraged you to go and I'm glad you did.

    I would have also encouraged you to spend time in the Northern part of the park. The northen
    section, including the Lamar Valley is my favorite part. Climbing aside, at that time there was less
    traffic, fewer visitors, smaller and more primitive campgrounds, lots of wildlife including the
    recently introduced wolves, and more of a wilderness feel than the rest of the park. At one point I
    stopped on a long climb between Mammoth and Tower Falls. The vastness of the land around me and the
    "huge" sky that seemed to wrap around the landscape was breathtaking and as close to a spiritual
    experience that I've had on a bike.

    The Northern part isn't better than the rest, just different. You didn't miss anything on your trip,
    you just saved a part to come back for.

    Regards,

    Wayne Lake Placid, NY www.AdkBikes.com Adirondack Bike & Touring Pages

    Shade wrote:

    > Some months ago I posted a question on riding through Yellowstone. I got a lot of responses,
    > most unfavorable.Thanks to those few that encouraged me to make the trip last week. It was a
    > great trip.
    >
    > To those that thought it was a bad idea.. well, you were right too. The roads over 50% of the park
    > are bad (no shoulders) which, compounded with the size of the RVs blowing by can give you a real
    > thrill. I avoided the Northern half of the park due to bad roads and no interest in mountain
    > climbing. The Southern half was worth the trip. Plenty of wildlife up close and personal!
    >
    > All the riding along the Yellowstone River and/or through the Central Valley was great. To those
    > thinking of the ride I would encouage you to avoid the roads South of Roosevelt Lodge and just
    > South of Mammoth Hot Springs. The South road to Roosevelt Lodge will be under construction this
    > summer so maybe things will improve there.

  3. Mrdna

    Mrdna Guest

    I did a week in Yellostone last year in late June. Camped in northern Tetons and got up really early
    to ride the park most days. Early in the morning things are fine but the traffic! I did not enjoy it
    much after about 11:00 AM.

    "Shade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Some months ago I posted a question on riding through Yellowstone. I got a lot of responses,
    > most unfavorable.Thanks to those few that encouraged me to make the trip last week. It was a
    > great trip.
    >
    > To those that thought it was a bad idea.. well, you were right too. The roads over 50% of the park
    > are bad (no shoulders) which, compounded with the size of the RVs blowing by can give you a real
    > thrill. I avoided the Northern half of the park due to bad roads and no interest in mountain
    > climbing. The Southern half was worth the trip. Plenty of wildlife up close and personal!
    >
    > All the riding along the Yellowstone River and/or through the Central Valley was great. To those
    > thinking of the ride I would encouage you to avoid the roads South of Roosevelt Lodge and just
    > South of Mammoth Hot Springs. The South road to Roosevelt Lodge will be under construction this
    > summer so maybe things will improve there.

  4. Shade, Kudos on a safe successful trip. As I recall from my last trip to Yellowstone (not on a
    bicycle) in 1999, I didn't like driving the section between Roosevelt and Mt Wasburn. Northbound
    traffic had no where to go but down. I can't imagine the "thrill" on a bicycle. Rick