Yes cycling will lead to weight loss...

StartTday

Jul 12, 2005
We all see these posts of people asking if cycling will lead to weight loss. Well it does. Although I do more than cycling I wanted to post a pic to prove this point.

I'm not going to call it and before and after. I feel as if I'm still in progress so I'll call it a before and now.

Ive been cycling for years but then took my workout and diet much more seriously within the past two months. So far I've dropped just over 25 lbs and the changes, not only to my waist size, but my strength and stamina are much better than ever.

I still have a long way to go. Im hoping to drop another 15lbs.

Just wanted to share... oh yeah the now pic was taken this morning and even I was surprised of the difference.

StartTday said:
We all see these posts of people asking if cycling will lead to weight loss. Well it does.
What you really mean to say is "it CAN" lead to weight loss. I gained 25 lbs cycling. All of it in my quads.

StartTday said:
We all see these posts of people asking if cycling will lead to weight loss. Well it does. Although I do more than cycling I wanted to post a pic to prove this point.

I'm not going to call it and before and after. I feel as if I'm still in progress so I'll call it a before and now.

Ive been cycling for years but then took my workout and diet much more seriously within the past two months. So far I've dropped just over 25 lbs and the changes, not only to my waist size, but my strength and stamina are much better than ever.

Just wanted to share... oh yeah the now pic was taken this morning and even I was surprised of the difference.
Good job. You've inspired me to lose weight. Thanks

I just got back from a 2 week vacation and I've put on 3 lbs - I did no training at all, just enjoyed my time off.

In order to get rid of this weight ASAP, what's the correct HR Zone I should be training in for approx one hour per day?

sergen said:
I just got back from a 2 week vacation and I've put on 3 lbs - I did no training at all, just enjoyed my time off.

In order to get rid of this weight ASAP, what's the correct HR Zone I should be training in for approx one hour per day?
So you're wanting a crash program to rid yourself of a measly 3 lbs that took 2 weeks to gain while on vacation?! You need to re-prioritize your life.

Doctor Morbius said:
What you really mean to say is "it CAN" lead to weight loss. I gained 25 lbs cycling. All of it in my quads.

All of it? A bit hard to prove.

mitosis said:
All of it? A bit hard to prove.
I wouldn't have believed it either if it hadn't happened. I weighed 225 and got up to between 245 to 250 and was wearing the same pant size. Wasn't doing any upper body work at the time so it wasn't going there.

I have a cousin who is a personal trainer at a snobbish health club on the North side of Indianapolis. He couldn't explain it. He'd never seen anyone gain weight from cycling 8 to 10 hours a week. All I can say is as an ecto-mesomorph I tend to gain muscle and fat weight easily. My quads (before I quit cycling on September 9th) measured slightly larger than when I was into power lifting and bodybuilding 20 some years ago. I never had tremendous leg strength and I totally suck at endurance activities like cycling. But it's fun and healthy so I do it.

I know that's not proof but that's about as honest of an answer as I can give. Here's a calf shot from Spring 2004. Hadn't done any calf work in a gym for over a year at this point.

Doctor Morbius said:
Here's a calf shot from Spring 2004.
LOL! Do people just take pictures of their body parts from time to time just so they'll have a "Before" picture in case that part gets bigger or smaller? :D:p

frenchyge said:
LOL! Do people just take pictures of their body parts from time to time just so they'll have a "Before" picture in case that part gets bigger or smaller? :D:p
Weight wathers makes you do it. If you have any friends who are bodybuilders I bet good money they do it too. It's standard practice for some.

Doctor Morbius said:
Weight wathers makes you do it. If you have any friends who are bodybuilders I bet good money they do it too. It's standard practice for some.
I'm sure it has it's place, just like any exercise log. I just got a laugh thinking about what some people's photo albums must look like. "Here's left calf from Spring '04.... abs from summer '01, and..... oh! Here's a good one of right bicep from Christmas '98. It's grown so much since then, that seems like a lifetime ago....<sniff>" :D

frenchyge said:
I'm sure it has it's place, just like any exercise log. I just got a laugh thinking about what some people's photo albums must look like. "Here's left calf from Spring '04.... abs from summer '01, and..... oh! Here's a good one of right bicep from Christmas '98. It's grown so much since then, that seems like a lifetime ago....<sniff>" :D
:D So true. My photo album would be rather pathetic! :eek: I actually forget why I took those shots in Spring 94. I guess it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. I'm taking a few these days as I'm trying to get up to 20" guns. If I can manage that I'll want to be able to brag about it I suppose.

Weight loss is dramatic if you do centuries, REALLY!
I lost 35 lbs and kept it off. It became a chore to STAY at my weight (now 155), and after a weekend 72 mile ride, I weighed in at 149, and would sit around drinking recovery drinks and gorging myself on food/protein.
:)
But keep it up!
Dave

StartTday said:

@ startTday
What does your cycle workout usualy consist of??How many miles do you do per day?Or how long do you ride??
Thats pretty impressive the results from both pictures as my stomach area looks similar to how yours was so i wouldnt mind losing a bit weight there myself..
Cheers

Well I dont just do cycling. Since its gotten much colder out, I'm stuck riding in 30 degree weather, which I hate. Ive backed down to riding at least 10 miles in the morning, its too cold for me to do any longer. I then lift weights in the evenings along with running (if my legs were up to it). On the weekends I would give myself a day off, and go on a much longer bike ride.

Ive been riding for a couple years but never saw any significant weight loss until I gave myself a routine and took my diet seriously. Also, a measuring tape is my best friend now.

Once I saw the first inch gone around my mid-section, that was all the motivation I needed to keep going.

Gavsta said:
@ startTday
What does your cycle workout usualy consist of??How many miles do you do per day?Or how long do you ride??
Thats pretty impressive the results from both pictures as my stomach area looks similar to how yours was so i wouldnt mind losing a bit weight there myself..
Cheers

From my experience, I think diet is the essential ingredient to any training program.

The more miles I do, the less inclined I am to eat.

I put in huge mileage in 2005 (12k miles) and I dropped from 210lbs back to 182lbs.
In the early days, I was sorely tempted to stuff my face with food following a hard session.
But as my stamina increased, I noticed that after a training session the longing to eat a lot of food became less and less.
So much so that after one 7 hour ride (123 miles), I ate a medium sized evening meal.

I also recommend abstaining from all alcohol if you're really serious about training and weight loss.

limerickman said:
I also recommend abstaining from all alcohol if you're really serious about training and weight loss.
Absolutely. No need to have the booze competing with hard training for one's limitied recuperative resources.

I used to belive that if one had the hearty immune system of a rugged pioneer, then one could train hard and play hard. A friend of mine heard me state that while out for a bit of social merriment consuming our favorite adult beverages and asked, "But didn't a lot of pioneers die?" Of course, the answer was yes. The moral of the story is ... well, I'm not sure there is a moral, but you get the idea. Serious hard training requires REST. That's where the progress is made.

Doctor Morbius said:
Absolutely. No need to have the booze competing with hard training for one's limitied recuperative resources.

I used to belive that if one had the hearty immune system of a rugged pioneer, then one could train hard and play hard. A friend of mine heard me state that while out for a bit of social merriment consuming our favorite adult beverages and asked, "But didn't a lot of pioneers die?" Of course, the answer was yes. The moral of the story is ... well, I'm not sure there is a moral, but you get the idea. Serious hard training requires REST. That's where the progress is made.

Doc,

You'd be surprised though at how many hard training people, drink alcohol.
I know guys who play indoor soccer three times per week.
It is fairly intense stuff - but after each and every session they retire to the pub to drink.

I don't meant to be a total killjoy but alcohol undoes all the benefit of training
but from a claoric and weight viewpoint.

I thought I'd give a little update on my weight loss. Not that anyone cares but just for myself. I started off at 207lbs and currently weigh in at 176lbs. I still want to lose another 6lbs to reach my goal but I'm in no hurry since the weight is much harder to lose now.

Also about the alcohol. I gave it up for months. I drink now, but I limit myself greatly.

Its still the same before pic just mirrored to show the loss around my gut. And since the first post I've lost another 10lbs. I only want to lose another 5lbs and tone more fat into muscle.