Yes, I'm an imbecile...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by C&CO, Jan 6, 2007.

1. C&CO

C&CO New Member

So I finally got around to attempting to true the rear wheel. Long story short, I ended up making it worse and rounding out a few spoke nipples! Now I can't even make any more adjustments in that area of the wheel.

What now? Do I take it in to the shop? They are the cheap Matrix 550 wheels that came with the bike. Would a new set of wheels really enhance the bike that much?

Thanks!

By the way it's a TREK hybrid (a.k.a. a wannabe road bike and wannabe trail bike at the same time)

Tags:

2. seer

seer New Member

Hi,
    I did almost the exact same thing when I first started truing my own wheels.

If you want to true the wheel yourself, why dont you try sheldon browns

website for info. You will def need a few new nipples. A wheelstand is very

nice, but its not totally necessary. Just take it slow, if you get frustrated,

take a break and read more on sheldons site. If you need to take it in to the

dealer, so be it,, I

consider a good professional wheel trueing to be a bargain , its eighteen bux

around here. You may find that more expensive wheels arent always better,

as long as you have stainless spokes, and an unbent wheel rim, the more

utilitarian wheels may very well last you longer than some fancypants racing

type superlightweight wheels. There are many tradeoffs , durability vs

lightweight,, made in bikes that arent worth pursuing if your riding the bike

just for fun.

What now? Do I take it in to the shop? They are the cheap Matrix 550 wheels that came with the bike. Would a new set of wheels really enhance the bike that much?

Thanks!

By the way it's a TREK hybrid (a.k.a. a wannabe road bike and wannabe trail bike at the same time)[/QUOTE]