yes or no?

philmcb said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

NEXT........

Q. If you had a chance to own a bike riden in a competitive cycling event over the last 100 years, who's bike would it be and what event?:cool:
I wanna go again ok

My A= Lances First Tour de France bike or the last, unoriginal yes, but think its the most famous bike to non-cycling fans and cycling fans alike, not everyone knows Greg Lemond, Eddy Mercx or Maurice Garin but everyone knows Lance!

My Q= If you could be on any team which would it be

sooray02 said:
Lance Armstrong's 7th tour victory ride to Champs-Elysées.

Q: Is Boonen going to become a World Champion 2 years in a row?
I doubt it.

For the record, if I could have any bike it would be Eddy Merckx's hour record fixed gear.... nothing else compares.

Q: What factory produces inexpensive bikes for Target right along side Trek's high end bikes?

jsirabella said:
Q.
How do you rank cycling compared to basketball, baseball, football, soccer and tennis in terms of how fit a person must be and which is tougher to compete in...
Every sport has different types of fitness, cycling is an endurance sport with limited extremely high intensity movements, but nonetheless a very tough sport to compete in...especially goin up mountains!!!:p I play basketball & lots of it, i have a mate who plays Aussie Rules, a sport where huge distances of ground are covered regularly in their games, he is very good and extremely fit! ...or at least is on the footy field, he swaps to bball, 15mins in has to have a break, cant take it anymore, game is too fast, this guy is an elite athlete! Basketball, apparently from reading studies is the sport with the most regularly occuring high intensity movements and consequently whilst endurance is a very necessary component (i actually have won countless long distance running events, never training, just because of my bball fitness) its more the acceleration component which drains a person's energy. A basketballer would hardly be able to jump straight across into cycling and expect to win regularly nor would a cyclist fair well the first time he played high level basketball.

If you're talking about football as in American Football, then i presume it is similar to Baseball, extremely high intensity movements, but with large rest periods. Tennis i havent played enough of to comment, but damn that sport looks tough, i certainly admire the guys who go 5sets and still play with fire and intensity:eek: soccer i love it, tiring, but long periods of low intensity movement reduces the necessity for extremely high levels of fitness.

So in conclusion each sport is very different as in "how fit" you need to be, but without doubt professional cycling is right in the very top echelon of sports fitness along with things like marathons, ironman comp's and other similar sports, however a transition to another sport which requires "less" fitness might not be too successful either.

My Q. Are the low-end Trek Bikes overpriced?

senator52 said:
Every sport has different types of fitness, cycling is an endurance sport with limited extremely high intensity movements, but nonetheless a very tough sport to compete in...especially goin up mountains!!!:p I play basketball & lots of it, i have a mate who plays Aussie Rules, a sport where huge distances of ground are covered regularly in their games, he is very good and extremely fit! ...or at least is on the footy field, he swaps to bball, 15mins in has to have a break, cant take it anymore, game is too fast, this guy is an elite athlete! Basketball, apparently from reading studies is the sport with the most regularly occuring high intensity movements and consequently whilst endurance is a very necessary component (i actually have won countless long distance running events, never training, just because of my bball fitness) its more the acceleration component which drains a person's energy. A basketballer would hardly be able to jump straight across into cycling and expect to win regularly nor would a cyclist fair well the first time he played high level basketball.

If you're talking about football as in American Football, then i presume it is similar to Baseball, extremely high intensity movements, but with large rest periods. Tennis i havent played enough of to comment, but damn that sport looks tough, i certainly admire the guys who go 5sets and still play with fire and intensity:eek: soccer i love it, tiring, but long periods of low intensity movement reduces the necessity for extremely high levels of fitness.

So in conclusion each sport is very different as in "how fit" you need to be, but without doubt professional cycling is right in the very top echelon of sports fitness along with things like marathons, ironman comp's and other similar sports, however a transition to another sport which requires "less" fitness might not be too successful either.

no but they're blander than a piece of of unbuttered whole wheat toast.

Q: will landis worm off on a technicality?

senator52 said:

YES & NO!

You live in Aus right? All bikes in Aus are overpriced. My TREK5500 was about 20% cheaper here in Japan than the going rate in Aus. TREK bikes here are quite cheap even the high end models.

Australia I suppose would have high taxes on imports.

Overall TREK bikes are pretty good value.

What components do they put on the low end ones in Aus?

My YES NO question.

Assuming a bike frame is a little too large for yourself would a frame being a little too small of the same make be faster: ie is it better to have a smaller frame than a larger one?

JAPANic said:
YES & NO!

You live in Aus right? All bikes in Aus are overpriced. My TREK5500 was about 20% cheaper here in Japan than the going rate in Aus. TREK bikes here are quite cheap even the high end models.

Australia I suppose would have high taxes on imports.

Overall TREK bikes are pretty good value.

What components do they put on the low end ones in Aus?

My YES NO question.

Assuming a bike frame is a little too large for yourself would a frame being a little too small of the same make be faster: ie is it better to have a smaller frame than a larger one?
you skipped my post you ********.

SaintAndrew said:
no but they're blander than a piece of of unbuttered whole wheat toast.

Q: will landis worm off on a technicality?

Yes, he'll blame it on the bread.

My YES NO question.

JAPANic said:
Yes, he'll blame it on the bread.

My YES NO question.

Absolutely a smaller frame is better than a bigger one! I've been experimenting with with a tiny bicycle that I purchased from a clown in the circus and have been having fantastic results.

Question: Is it really necessary to shave your legs if you put in a lot of recreation miles, but no racing miles?

lance_armstrong said:
Absolutely a smaller frame is better than a bigger one! I've been experimenting with with a tiny bicycle that I purchased from a clown in the circus and have been having fantastic results.

Question: Is it really necessary to shave your legs if you put in a lot of recreation miles, but no racing miles?
Yes, it's always important to shave and put in rec miles. Racing miles are pointless.

Question: Is it true Lance Armstrong, **** Cheney and George W are having a three-way circle-jerk-athon when Armstrong visits W's ranch?

No the moral majority would not permit it. Instead, Bush invites John Newcomb over to do coke while they watch Cheney give it to Armstrong like Ned Beatty in Deliverence.

Is the Giro more intersting than the Vuelta?

Frigo's Luggage said:
No the moral majority would not permit it. Instead, Bush invites John Newcomb over to do coke while they watch Cheney give it to Armstrong like Ned Beatty in Deliverence.

Is the Giro more intersting than the Vuelta?
The Giro is pretty, but the Spanish will attack every time the wind blows or the road goes vertical (even a 300 meter hill at 3%). Gotta' love the aggressive Vuelta.

Best one-day rider. Bettini or Boonen?

YMCA said:
The Giro is pretty, but the Spanish will attack every time the wind blows or the road goes vertical (even a 300 meter hill at 3%). Gotta' love the aggressive Vuelta.

Best one-day rider. Bettini or Boonen?
boonen. flanders roubais, stages in the tour worlds. without a doubt.

do you think the hour record is important?

sash said:
boonen. flanders roubais, stages in the tour worlds. without a doubt.

do you think the hour record is important?
I think, since the UCI standardized the bicycle used in the attempt, it is a meaningful, historical benchmark but not as popular now since none of the contemporary big names have tried to break the record. I mean, if some Czech guy breaks the record, and yes he's a great tt rider but who cares since he's not the best. Throw some of the great tt guys at it like Ulrich, Armstrong, Roole and then you've got something.

Okay, yes or no? Should the UCI standardized, as they've done the bicycle, the doping regiments of those attempting the hour record. I mean, comparing pre- and post-EPO records is pointless.

helmutRoole2 said:
I think, since the UCI standardized the bicycle used in the attempt, it is a meaningful, historical benchmark but not as popular now since none of the contemporary big names have tried to break the record. I mean, if some Czech guy breaks the record, and yes he's a great tt rider but who cares since he's not the best. Throw some of the great tt guys at it like Ulrich, Armstrong, Roole and then you've got something.

Okay, yes or no? Should the UCI standardized, as they've done the bicycle, the doping regiments of those attempting the hour record. I mean, comparing pre- and post-EPO records is pointless.

Yes. In fact they should standardise everything down to handlebar tape to ensure a comparable result. Athletes should have plastic surgery to ensure they have similar coefficients of drag, race on the same track on the same day at the same time with the same people on the stop watch.

Yes/No: Should they be forced to eat the same food for breakfast on the day of the race?

mitosis said:
Yes. In fact they should standardise everything down to handlebar tape to ensure a comparable result. Athletes should have plastic surgery to ensure they have similar coefficients of drag, race on the same track on the same day at the same time with the same people on the stop watch.

Yes/No: Should they be forced to eat the same food for breakfast on the day of the race?
No, of course not. But, they should standardize the equipment used. The point of the hour record -- at least it used to be -- was to determine the best tt rider through the ages. If they're going to standardize the distance and the course (a velodrome) then they should standardize the bicycle as well.

But, maybe that's why no one does the hour record anymore... because it can't be taken seriously.

Yes or no: Eddy Merckx, the best rider of all time?