Yes, rr.b.m. there is a Fabrizio

Karen M.

Guest
This deserves a repost with its own header. Happy season, all! --Karen M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary:
> > Anybody have a picture of this marvelously-attired dude?

Tom:
> There actually *are* pix out there.
>
> Let me assure you, Fabrizio is real. And I know he'd blow my pins off in any hill climb. There is
> substance behind his style. He just doesn't talk about substance; he prefers to talk about style.
> Let me remind you, sometimes what ppl don't say is more important than what they do say. And
> sometimes, not :)

And now Ryan:

We take pleasure in answering thus prominently the communication above, expressing at the same time
our great gratification that its faithful authors are numbered among the readers of r.b.m:

Gary, your friends are wrong. They have been affected by the scepticism of a sceptical age. They do
not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not written up in VeloNews. All
minds, Gary, wheter they be men's or children's are little. In this great universe of ours Category
V is a mere insect, an ant, in its cycling, as compared with the boundless world about it, as
measured by the riding skills capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Gary, there is a Fabrizio Mazzoleni. He exists as certainly as love and Shimano and brifteurs
exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How
dreary would the world be if there were no Fabrizio Mazzoleni! It would be as dreary as if there
were no Garys. There would be no Category V-like faith then, no poetry, no Sunday rides to make
tolerable this existence. We should have no cycling, except in sense and sight. The eternal light
with which cycling style fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Fabrizio Mazzoleni! You might as well not believe in hill-climbing wheels! You might
get your papa to hire men to watch in all the bicycle races on the first day of Spring to catch
Fabrizio, but even if you did not see Fabrizio Mazzoleni breaking away, what would that prove?
Nobody sees Fabrizio, but that is no sign that there is no Fabrizio. The most real things in the
world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see the performance difference
ten grams makes? Of course not, but that's no proof that it is not there. Nobody can coceive or
imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in cycling.

You tear apart a bicycle pump and see what makes the air come out, but there is a veil covering the
cycling world which not Jobst Brandt, nor even the united brains of all the mechanical engineers
that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, intervals, style, weight-fixation, can push
aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal riding and racing beyond. Is it all real? Ah,
Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding, excepting steel.

No Fabrizio Mazzoleni! Thank God! He rides, and rides forever. A thousand crits from now, Virginia,
nay, ten times ten thousand Tours from now, he will continue to make style the heart of cycling.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] (trim trailing t), www.sfu.ca/~rcousine

In article <[email protected]>, Spoking
<[email protected]> writes:

> He has a resume posted out there?

Maybe Fabrizio himself can be persuaded to post the more important parts of it here. Or maybe not.
It's up to him.

cheers again, Tom