Yesterday's Observer cartoon

John Hearns

Guest
(Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).

Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

John Hearns wrote:

> Anyone care to comment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

If it had been funny then fair enough, cos I don't like to take myself too
seriously.
But I saw no humour there, it came over as a petrolhead rant and I was
shocked to see it in the Observer.

John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:

: Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
don't.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

John Hearns wrote:
> (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).
>
> Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

I didn't see yesterday's Observer. Anyone care to enlighten me?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]am says...
> (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).
>
> Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

My boss brought a copy into work to hang on the wall (He cycles to work
every day). I declined to comment as I'm already known to be
exceptionally political.

Jon

John Hearns wrote:
> (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).
>
> Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

Anyone care to scan it and put it on a website?

BugBear

John Hearns said:
(Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).

Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?
Didn't see it, I don't read newspapers.

> I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
> it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
> do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
> don't.

Clearly you've never been to Aberdeen :)

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
> > ... yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

> I didn't see yesterday's Observer.

So much for the idea that u.r.c is full of
(Sunday-)Guardian-reading woolly liberals.

"John Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
> > it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
> > do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
> > don't.

> Clearly you've never been to Aberdeen :)

or Bristol

--
cheers

Rich

"burt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
> > > it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
> > > do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
> > > don't.

> > Clearly you've never been to Aberdeen :)

> or Bristol

or Paris ....
Bonne route
Dan Gregory

---

> John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?
>
> I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
> it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
> do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
> don't.

It's not just property prices that are the same in Cambridge as London,
alas.

--
Callas

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:22:58 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected]lid (Geraint
Jones) wrote (more or less):

>"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John Hearns wrote:
>> > ... yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

>> I didn't see yesterday's Observer.

>So much for the idea that u.r.c is full of
>(Sunday-)Guardian-reading woolly liberals.

Funnily enough, I used to be an Observer reader, and have almost
entirely stopped snce the takeover.

--
Cheers,
Euan

On 26 Jul 2004 12:51:36 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>: Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?
>
>I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
>it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
>do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
>don't.

Most motorists jump red lights. The difference is that motorists jump
the red light soon after is goes red regardless of the safety of other
road users; cyclists jump red lights only when the road is clear and
it won't affect any other road user.

While both are wrong, I'd say the latter is preferable - and somehow
more honest.

Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
following...
> Funnily enough, I used to be an Observer reader, and have almost
> entirely stopped snce the takeover.

It's worth picking up the Observer for Life magazine and the Barefoot
Doctor. My family now read it before any other part of the paper to see
if he's managed to mention "kidney energy" which seems to be his answer
to everything. Other than that I have no time for it!

Jon

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

: It's worth picking up the Observer for Life magazine and the Barefoot
: Doctor. My family now read it before any other part of the paper to see
: if he's managed to mention "kidney energy" which seems to be his answer
: to everything. Other than that I have no time for it!

I have to turn rapidly over the Barefoot Doctor page. It annoys me beyond reason.
Which is appropiate since there isn't any reason in it...

--
Arthur Clune

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule_trim.co.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> John Hearns wrote:
> > Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

> Anyone care to scan it and put it on a website?

http://pog.org.uk/toon.jpg 70kb

for those who hate links in newsgroups the cartoon is as follows:

title: the highway code for cyclists
frame 1: traffic light on green, subtitle "=go"
frame 2: traffic light on red, subtitle "=go"
frame 3: give way sign, subtitle "=go"
frame 4: sign saying "this is a pavement you know, for walking on",
subtitle "=go"
frame 5: sign in the syle of a flashing motorway sign for a temporary
hazard "Look, just bloody stop", subtitle "=go"
frame 6: bent cycle and injured cyclist in front of stationary car.
Drive beside car, cyclist swearing, subtitle: "=decades of
under-investment in cyclepaths"

best wishes
james

>BTW, where is the lighthouse on the index page? It reminds me of St Mary's
>in Northumberland but i@m not sure it is.

No, don't think that's St Mary's. This is St Mary's

http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp?id=1044-40-5

Memories of Northumbrian childhood...

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

On 28 Jul 2004 12:15:25 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> BTW, where is the lighthouse on the index page? It reminds me of St
>> Mary's
>> in Northumberland but i@m not sure it is.

> No, don't think that's St Mary's. This is St Mary's
>
> http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp?id=1044-40-5

Yes, that's it

I was looking at the flat rocks and the white paint and coming to the
wrong conclusion.

Colin