Yesterday's Observer cartoon

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Hearns, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).

    Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    Tags:

  2. John Hearns wrote:

    > Anyone care to comment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    If it had been funny then fair enough, cos I don't like to take myself too
    seriously.
    But I saw no humour there, it came over as a petrolhead rant and I was
    shocked to see it in the Observer.

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
    it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
    do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
    don't.

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    John Hearns wrote:
    > (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).
    >
    > Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    I didn't see yesterday's Observer. Anyone care to enlighten me?

  5. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]am says...
    > (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).
    >
    > Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    My boss brought a copy into work to hang on the wall (He cycles to work
    every day). I declined to comment as I'm already known to be
    exceptionally political.

    Jon

  6. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    John Hearns wrote:
    > (Light blue touchpaper. Stand well back).
    >
    > Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    Anyone care to scan it and put it on a website?

    BugBear

  7. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Didn't see it, I don't read newspapers.

  8. John Burns

    John Burns Guest

    > I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
    > it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
    > do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
    > don't.

    Clearly you've never been to Aberdeen :)

    --
    Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
    Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

  9. "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > John Hearns wrote:
    > > ... yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    > I didn't see yesterday's Observer.

    So much for the idea that u.r.c is full of
    (Sunday-)Guardian-reading woolly liberals.

  10. burt

    burt Guest

    "John Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
    > > it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
    > > do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
    > > don't.

    > Clearly you've never been to Aberdeen :)

    or Bristol

    --
    cheers

    Rich

  11. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "burt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "John Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > > I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
    > > > it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
    > > > do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
    > > > don't.

    > > Clearly you've never been to Aberdeen :)

    > or Bristol

    or Paris ....
    Bonne route
    Dan Gregory

    ---

  12. Callas

    Callas Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?
    >
    > I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
    > it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
    > do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
    > don't.

    It's not just property prices that are the same in Cambridge as London,
    alas.

    --
    Callas

  13. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:22:58 +0000 (UTC),
    [email protected]lid (Geraint
    Jones) wrote (more or less):

    >"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> John Hearns wrote:
    >> > ... yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    >> I didn't see yesterday's Observer.

    >So much for the idea that u.r.c is full of
    >(Sunday-)Guardian-reading woolly liberals.

    Funnily enough, I used to be an Observer reader, and have almost
    entirely stopped snce the takeover.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  14. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On 26 Jul 2004 12:51:36 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >: Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?
    >
    >I just sighed and moved on. The trouble with stuff that like is that
    >it's always done by people who live in London. Most London cyclists
    >do indeed seem to jump red lights. Most cyclists outside London
    >don't.

    Most motorists jump red lights. The difference is that motorists jump
    the red light soon after is goes red regardless of the safety of other
    road users; cyclists jump red lights only when the road is clear and
    it won't affect any other road user.

    While both are wrong, I'd say the latter is preferable - and somehow
    more honest.

  15. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
    following...
    > Funnily enough, I used to be an Observer reader, and have almost
    > entirely stopped snce the takeover.

    It's worth picking up the Observer for Life magazine and the Barefoot
    Doctor. My family now read it before any other part of the paper to see
    if he's managed to mention "kidney energy" which seems to be his answer
    to everything. Other than that I have no time for it!

    Jon

  16. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

    : It's worth picking up the Observer for Life magazine and the Barefoot
    : Doctor. My family now read it before any other part of the paper to see
    : if he's managed to mention "kidney energy" which seems to be his answer
    : to everything. Other than that I have no time for it!

    I have to turn rapidly over the Barefoot Doctor page. It annoys me beyond reason.
    Which is appropiate since there isn't any reason in it...

    --
    Arthur Clune

  17. james

    james Guest

    bugbear <[email protected]_papermule_trim.co.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > John Hearns wrote:
    > > Anyone care to coment on yesterday's Observer magazine cartoon?

    > Anyone care to scan it and put it on a website?

    http://pog.org.uk/toon.jpg 70kb

    for those who hate links in newsgroups the cartoon is as follows:

    title: the highway code for cyclists
    frame 1: traffic light on green, subtitle "=go"
    frame 2: traffic light on red, subtitle "=go"
    frame 3: give way sign, subtitle "=go"
    frame 4: sign saying "this is a pavement you know, for walking on",
    subtitle "=go"
    frame 5: sign in the syle of a flashing motorway sign for a temporary
    hazard "Look, just bloody stop", subtitle "=go"
    frame 6: bent cycle and injured cyclist in front of stationary car.
    Drive beside car, cyclist swearing, subtitle: "=decades of
    under-investment in cyclepaths"

    best wishes
    james

  18. >BTW, where is the lighthouse on the index page? It reminds me of St Mary's
    >in Northumberland but [email protected] not sure it is.

    No, don't think that's St Mary's. This is St Mary's

    http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp?id=1044-40-5

    Memories of Northumbrian childhood...

    Cheers, helen s

  19. On 28 Jul 2004 12:15:25 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> BTW, where is the lighthouse on the index page? It reminds me of St
    >> Mary's
    >> in Northumberland but [email protected] not sure it is.

    > No, don't think that's St Mary's. This is St Mary's
    >
    > http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp?id=1044-40-5

    Yes, that's it

    I was looking at the flat rocks and the white paint and coming to the
    wrong conclusion.

    Colin