Yet another Campy/Shimano compatibility question

M

Mark A. Clark

I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
with these wheels.

Question 1: Does anyone know why?

Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)

Mark

P.S. If size matters these wheels are 650C.

Mark A. Clark wrote:
> I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
> American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
> with these wheels.
>
> Question 1: Does anyone know why?
>
> Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)
>
> Mark
>
>

1. Because Campagnolo 10-speed is wider than Shimano 9-speed, and the back of the cassette hits
the spokes.

2. You could try using a Shimano 10-speed cassette. But why bother - for what the Dura-Ace 10-speed
cassette costs, you could build a complete Veloce 10-speed rear wheel complete with cassette
that will work better than trying to fudge together a Shimano cassette with Campagnolo
everything else.

Nick

"Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
> American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
> with these wheels.
>
> Question 1: Does anyone know why?
>
> Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:30:55 GMT, "Mark A. Clark"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
>American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
>with these wheels.
>
>Question 1: Does anyone know why?
>
>Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)
>
The innermost cog overhangs the cassette body bringing the cog closer to the spokes. Perhaps the
rear derailleur or chain will tick the spokes on the Shimano factory wheel.

jedi-<< am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy

10 speed. Both American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not
compatible with these wheels. >><BR><BR>

Because the biggest cog hits the flange/spokes.

DA 10 with a DA 10s chain will work with Campagnolo 10s.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"