Yet another Campy/Shimano compatibility question

Mark A. Clark

Guest
I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
with these wheels.

Question 1: Does anyone know why?

Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)

Mark

P.S. If size matters these wheels are 650C.

Mark A. Clark wrote:
> I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
> American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
> with these wheels.
>
> Question 1: Does anyone know why?
>
> Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)
>
> Mark

1. Because Campagnolo 10-speed is wider than Shimano 9-speed, and the back of the cassette hits
the spokes.

2. You could try using a Shimano 10-speed cassette. But why bother - for what the Dura-Ace 10-speed
cassette costs, you could build a complete Veloce 10-speed rear wheel complete with cassette
that will work better than trying to fudge together a Shimano cassette with Campagnolo
everything else.

Nick

"Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
> American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
> with these wheels.
>
> Question 1: Does anyone know why?
>
> Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:30:55 GMT, "Mark A. Clark"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy 10 speed. Both
>American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not compatible
>with these wheels.
>
>Question 1: Does anyone know why?
>
>Question 2: Is there anything out there that does work? (DA 10 maybe)

The innermost cog overhangs the cassette body bringing the cog closer to the spokes. Perhaps the
rear derailleur or chain will tick the spokes on the Shimano factory wheel.

jedi-<< am interested in converting a Shimano factory built wheel to run Campy

10 speed. Both American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing state their conversion cassettes are not
compatible with these wheels. >><BR><BR>

Because the biggest cog hits the flange/spokes.

DA 10 with a DA 10s chain will work with Campagnolo 10s.