Yet Another Cannell Plunge ~VIDEO~

Bill Porter

Guest
Okay so I was the laziest and/or busiest of the group of folks who took the Cannell Plunge near
Kernville, CA nearly a month ago. I finally put together a webpage and video of the ride.

The webpage is the in the SoCal section of my website www.mountainbikebill.com

You can find the video on that page as well or you can click here
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/CannellPlunge-Web.mpg
6:52 and 37MB

Michael Paul shared some of his footage from so I could do the dual-camera angles in this
video..Thanks

Out of the 4 of us who shot video and everyone else who took pictures, I think we are all in
agreement that none of it does this trail justice.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Okay so I was the laziest and/or busiest of the group of folks who took the Cannell Plunge near
> Kernville, CA nearly a month ago. I finally put together a webpage and video of the ride.
>
> The webpage is the in the SoCal section of my website www.mountainbikebill.com
>
> You can find the video on that page as well or you can click here
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/CannellPlunge-Web.mpg
> 6:52 and 37MB
>
> Michael Paul shared some of his footage from so I could do the dual-camera angles in this
> video..Thanks
>
> Out of the 4 of us who shot video and everyone else who took pictures, I think we are all in
> agreement that none of it does this trail justice.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Sheesh. I give you 5 CD's of footage and you use what? Maybe 8 seconds!

:)

Turned out nice. It was good to see that you had some footage from the plunge to mix in there as
well. No, none of the footage does the trail any justice but it does look nice anyway! Too bad we
didn't get Bryan crashing on that little left handed stair corner but I was behind you and he was
behind me.

Michael

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Okay so I was the laziest and/or busiest of the group of folks who took the Cannell Plunge near
> Kernville, CA nearly a month ago. I finally put together a webpage and video of the ride.
>
> The webpage is the in the SoCal section of my website www.mountainbikebill.com
>
> You can find the video on that page as well or you can click here
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/CannellPlunge-Web.mpg
> 6:52 and 37MB
>
> Michael Paul shared some of his footage from so I could do the dual-camera angles in this
> video..Thanks
>
> Out of the 4 of us who shot video and everyone else who took pictures, I think we are all in
> agreement that none of it does this trail justice.

Excellent stuff, BP; makes me wanna go back.

Bill "as usual, too fast to be captured on video" S.

PS: Don't hold your breath waiting for MY pics. The $4 camera broke in pieces as I tried to rewind
film, and I finally just yanked it out like Olivia deHavilland (sp?) in a melodramatic closeup.
(Would have been easier to just say Alec Baldwin I guess.)

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:46:16 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sheesh. I give you 5 CD's of footage and you use what? Maybe 8 seconds!
>
>:)
>
>Turned out nice. It was good to see that you had some footage from the plunge to mix in there as
>well. No, none of the footage does the trail any justice but it does look nice anyway! Too bad we
>didn't get Bryan crashing on that little left handed stair corner but I was behind you and he was
>behind me.
>
>Michael

Actually at used 31 seconds 13 frames (at 29.97 fps) but whose counting. The horizontal split sceen
was yours too. While video does not do justice to the trail, the compression to get it websized is
might cruel too, took out a look of features.

Bill Porter wrote:
> Okay so I was the laziest and/or busiest of the group of folks who took the Cannell Plunge near
> Kernville, CA nearly a month ago. I finally put together a webpage and video of the ride.
>
> The webpage is the in the SoCal section of my website www.mountainbikebill.com
>
> You can find the video on that page as well or you can click here
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/CannellPlunge-Web.mpg
> 6:52 and 37MB
>
> Michael Paul shared some of his footage from so I could do the dual-camera angles in this
> video..Thanks
>
> Out of the 4 of us who shot video and everyone else who took pictures, I think we are all in
> agreement that none of it does this trail justice.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

It's funny to realize that the speeds we were hitting the Plunge at look as if you faked it on the
video. Right around the 6:00 mark it looks as if you ran the video at double-time... but that't the
area we were riding almost 30 miles an hour.

Ah, that really was a sweet trail.

Miles

"miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Bill Porter wrote:
> > Okay so I was the laziest and/or busiest of the group of folks who took the Cannell Plunge near
> > Kernville, CA nearly a month ago. I finally put together a webpage and video of the ride.
> >
> > The webpage is the in the SoCal section of my website www.mountainbikebill.com
> >
> > You can find the video on that page as well or you can click here
> > http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/CannellPlunge-Web.mpg
> > 6:52 and 37MB
> >
> > Michael Paul shared some of his footage from so I could do the dual-camera angles in this
> > video..Thanks
> >
> > Out of the 4 of us who shot video and everyone else who took pictures, I think we are all in
> > agreement that none of it does this trail justice.
> >
> > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
> >

> It's funny to realize that the speeds we were hitting the Plunge at look as if you faked it on the
> video. Right around the 6:00 mark it looks as if you ran the video at double-time... but that't
> the area we were riding almost 30 miles an hour.
>
> Ah, that really was a sweet trail.
>
> Miles

I was wondering about that. Couldn't decide whether the video was altered for dramatic impact or you
are all a bunch of freakin' lunatics. :)

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was wondering about that. Couldn't decide whether the video was altered for dramatic impact or
> you are all a bunch of freakin' lunatics. :)
>
> --
> Cameron

Definately lunatics.

I believe the conversation went something like this.

I was third in line behind Bill who was behind Miles. I was doing everything I could to stay behind
Bill who was doing the same to stay behind Miles.

Me to Miles after we stopped "boy, you're really hooking up today. You're going focking fast."

Miles "really? it doesn't seem like it"

Bill after looking at his computer "well, somewhere back there we hit almsot 30 mph"

Miles "Hmmmmm, guess I was going pretty good"

Me "thats' what I said!"

it was just one of those days when you're feeling on your game. the three of us were just nailing
the trail and we going like banshees. Savor those times when you're in the zone......

Michael

Now you guys have done it and peaked my interest. How long top to bottom? and technically how does
it compare to San Juan Trail?

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> Now you guys have done it and peaked my interest. How long top to bottom? and technically how does
> it compare to San Juan Trail?
>

> "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Bill Porter wrote:
>>
>>>Okay so I was the laziest and/or busiest of the group of folks who took the Cannell Plunge near
>>>Kernville, CA nearly a month ago. I finally put together a webpage and video of the ride.
>>>
>>>The webpage is the in the SoCal section of my website www.mountainbikebill.com
>>>
>>>You can find the video on that page as well or you can click here
>>>http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/CannellPlunge-Web.mpg
>>>6:52 and 37MB
>>>
>>>Michael Paul shared some of his footage from so I could do the dual-camera angles in this
>>>video..Thanks
>>>
>>>Out of the 4 of us who shot video and everyone else who took pictures, I think we are all in
>>>agreement that none of it does this trail justice.
>>>
>>>Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>>>

>>It's funny to realize that the speeds we were hitting the Plunge at look as if you faked it on the
>>video. Right around the 6:00 mark it looks as if you ran the video at double-time... but that't
>>the area we were riding almost 30 miles an hour.
>>
>>Ah, that really was a sweet trail.
>>
>>Miles

It isn't the same as SJT. SJT is basically all downhill from Bluejay, if you stay on the main trail.
The Cannell Trail has 2900 feet of climbing on it, starting from the top. It's pretty much a long
cross-country trail with plenty of fun downhills, but plenty of fun climbs, too... until you get to
the plunge. The plunge is almost entirely (one bummer of a climb 1/3 of the way down) downhill. As I
say, though, you have to work to get there...

The plunge itself is pretty similar in technicality to the SJT. That is to say, not very, but it is
WAY steeper than the SJT. A few little rocky sections, some ruts I didn't even really notice, and
some loose stuff. If you are confident and smooth on the SJT, Cannell won't be any different.

Earlier sections of the trail before the plunge were a bunch more technical, but if you can ride
Viejas Tie you'll be OK.

2900 feet of climbing: remember that before you drag out your gravity sled.

Miles

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:59:19 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> It's funny to realize that the speeds we were hitting the Plunge at look as if you faked it on
>> the video. Right around the 6:00 mark it looks as if you ran the video at double-time... but
>> that't the area we were riding almost 30 miles an hour.
>>
>> Ah, that really was a sweet trail.
>>
>> Miles
>>

>I was wondering about that. Couldn't decide whether the video was altered for dramatic impact or
>you are all a bunch of freakin' lunatics. :)

I still grin from ear-to-ear when I think about how sweet that ride was. Especially when the MoJo
was working.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com