Yet another cyclist seriously injured by a truck

Pete Biggs

Guest
....probably turning left, acording to this report from the Haringey Cyclists
group today:

"I passed by the aftermath of this yesterday. It
happened at the junction of Green Lanes and Seven
Sisters Road [north London], and from the position of the [refuse] truck it
looked like it was turning left to head south on Green
Lanes. From what I can gather from other commuters
I've spoken to and the Hackney LCC group, the
cyclist's legs were crushed. She was picked up by the
air ambulance, and was alive when put in the
helicopter."

In news:[email protected],
Pete Biggs <[email protected]> tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> ...probably turning left, acording to this report from the Haringey
> Cyclists group today:

Ouch! I used to commute that way before the Evil Squirrels had us sent
saarf of the river to enhance Shareholder Value, and there was quite
frequently complete chaos at that junction. Most notably when a moton
failed to execute an undertake on a Turkish-registered artic. /Not/ a
pretty sight.

--
Dave Larrington
Beware of the opion.

This is miserable, truly horrible.
Just try to imagine if it were you / your spouse there today.
The pain, the possible lifelong injury.
*********** - why on earth can't these stupid bastards look in mirrors?
And don't even try to troll this post anyone.

John
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> ...probably turning left, acording to this report from the Haringey
> Cyclists group today:
>
> "I passed by the aftermath of this yesterday. It
> happened at the junction of Green Lanes and Seven
> Sisters Road [north London], and from the position of the [refuse] truck
> it
> looked like it was turning left to head south on Green
> Lanes. From what I can gather from other commuters
> I've spoken to and the Hackney LCC group, the
> cyclist's legs were crushed. She was picked up by the
> air ambulance, and was alive when put in the
> helicopter."

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 00:33:56 GMT, "John Clayton"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>..
>*********** - why on earth can't these stupid bastards look in mirrors?
>..

I would hazard a guess that if you are alongside a large truck the
driver can't see you in his/her mirrors. The mirrors would be
positioned to look behind, so if the driver does not see you actually
come up the inside you're in trouble.
Never _ever_ venture up the inside of a large vehicle at the front of
a queue for traffic lights.

pete

Peter Grange wrote:

> Never _ever_ venture up the inside of a large vehicle at the front of
> a queue for traffic lights.
>
> pete

Excellent advice. I was out on Friday lunchtime in Swindon when an
out-of-service bus roars past me faaaar too close to my right ear, at
between 35 and 40pmh. I caught him up at the next roundabout,
considered going up beside him and remonstrating. Thought better of
it, which was just as well as he turned left with no signal.

Fortunately I had plenty of time to see and memorise number. Complaint
made. Outcome awaited.

Peter.

Wish you, your complaint and us all well.

John

news:[email protected]...