Yet another derisory fine for killing a cyclist...

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:43:03 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:56:20 +0000, BenS <[email protected]>
>wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>Perhaps if he'd been a better trained driver he wouldn't
>>have had the accident. It was his inability to control
>>the car at that speed that caused the accident, not the
>>speed itself.
>
>Cobblers. If he had been driving slower there is a good
>chance that the crash would never have happened, and a
>better chance that his victim would have survived.

You can't say that from reading that report. There is not
indication of _why_ he ran wide in that corner.

>You seem to be suggesting that if it would have been better
>if only he was one of those "elite" drivers who can handle
>speed (a group in which most drivers subconsciously include
>themselves). I see no evidence of this. No driver, however
>expert, can stop a car safely when cornering too fast.

Not at all. I'm saying that driving is a skill, just like
riding a bike. With more training and practice you can
become better at it. This means you can drive/ride faster
than someone less trained and practised.

He didn't need to stop in that corner. He needed to get
round the corner safely. Trying to stop is the worst thing
you can ever do in a corner.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:30:42 +0000 (UTC), Ian W
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2004-03-26 21:52:02 +0000, BenS <[email protected]> said:
>
>> On 26 Mar 2004 08:49:26 -0800,
>> [email protected] (Howard) wrote:
>>
>>> Aberdeen Evening Express
>>>
>>> £300 fine for death crash teen
>>

>> So then, what should his punishment have been?
>
>We've already suggested a few things. What, pray, do you
>suggest his punishment should have been? Some counselling?
>A governemt grant to pay for driving lessons? Please, we're
>all ears (or eyes...)

I think his punishment was ok given the amends he had
already made. He's made himself a better driver and made an
apology to the family. He's been banned for a substantial
time and doing a long community service. He's recognised his
mistake and tried to make amends for it. A lot of people
wouldn't have done that.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

>> Also IMHO I feel that punishing someone for killing
>> someone when there was absolutely no intent is not really
>> moral when taken in isolation[1]. I put it that he should
>> be punished for the danger that he caused, in the same
>> way that someone else that did exactly the same thing but
>> didn't cause a death should, IMO be punished.
>
> But to say that there is only a crime with intent to injur
> is to get rid of crimes such as manslaughter, negligence,
> etc. These are all based around events being reasonably
> foreseeable. It is reasonably forseeable that if you drive
> too fast you will cause an accident, just as it is
> reasonably forseeable that if you fail to tell somebody
> that you recently dipped the ends of their ladder in
> butter they will fall and be injured.

I think you misunderstand my point - it wouldn't get rid of
manslaughter exactly, just treat the actions the same
whether they resulted in death or not. Thus the butter on
the ladder would be treated as harshly if the person didn't
fall. (this whole thing is obviously theoretical). If the
/intent/ is there then morally it is just as wrong even if
there were no consequences. Similarly if there is no intent,
then why is it suddenly so much worse morally (or whatever)
if some poor sod comes to grief. The results are far worse,
but they were not intended. If a risk is forseen then the
actions are just as serious whatever the results.

Manslaughter is renamed because a persons death is not
necessary. The punishment would be the same whether or not
someone died (but see comments further down).

>> The great weakness of this argument is that we would all
>> have our goolies cut off (or whatever suitable
>> punishment you sadists like best) as we have all done
>> something that is dangerous, whether it was deliberate
>> or just the result of a moments innattention.
>> Fortunately for almost of us this has not resulted in an
>> accident let alone a death.
>
> Are you a Christian? That belief system explicitly talks
> about this sort of thing! But yes, I would say that doing
> something and 'getting away with it' or 'being lucky' is
> morally as bad as doing something and causing damage.

Agnostic*** but a Christian upbringing so I suppose it's
influenced me - anyone with a background that gives a
different take on this lot?

***(Despite being agnostic I'd actually like to be
atheist, it's just that I asked an atheist why he was so.
He told me the whole idea of God is stupid and ridiculous.
I asked a Christian. He had the more persuasive argument:
he'd met God)

>> Who was it that recently posted about the near SMIDSY he
>> had? Let us pretend that he did hit the cyclist. Why
>> would his innattention be less deserving of punishment if
>> there was no cyclist passing at that moment in time?
>
> It wouldn't, except inasmuch as punishment serves the
> other purposes we have discussed (i.e.,, retribution etc)

Sorry, it's late and my brain isn't working. You agree that
the action is equally desrving of punishment whether or not
a cyclist happened to disappear under the wheels?

If so then we probably agree on retribution. If there was no
intent then there should be no retribution. This doesn't
necessarily mean that the sentence would be light, it's just
that if there was no intent the punishment should presumably
be related to the degree of carelessness or recklessness or
whatever. If there was intent then the retribution should be
there whether or not what was intended actually happened.
Because of the intent it is morally worse than an identical
act with no intent, and the sanctions should reflect that.
In addition, in the event of loss of earnings the
person/people affected by this should be compensated (my gut
feeling is that it would be preferable for the person who
was at fault to do this whether or not there was intent). We
could thus see a difference in punishments for bad and
neutral outcomes. I am uneasy about the idea of monetary
compensation for the loss of someones life (as opposed to
compensation for the loss of income, which would affect the
dependents). The news tonight mentioned compensation for the
'suffering' of parents of children in the Alder Hey organ
retention scandal. The compensation in no way reduces their
suffering, unless it makes them, on balanced, rather pleased
that the organs were retained as it's given them a new car
or a nice holiday. I suppose the money could be given to
good causes, in which case I become less uneasy about the
whole thing.

In terms of deterrent, that is IMO clearly immoral but saved
by the fact that it is a means to an end. I agree with the
logic of that but not the morality of it. However, I
consider it to be ok to do something immoral to prevent
something worse. We can thus justify the deterrent.

But! whilst I have no problems with harsher sentences for
those that deliberately indulge in reckless (or whatever)
behaviour that increases the risk to others I do not believe
deterrent sentencing should be used for people that make
honest mistakes/a moments innattention/or whatever we want
to call it*. Basically where there is no intention to
increase the risk beyond whatever is socially accepted.

Anyway, sorry about wittering on for so long, but
hopefully people will understand why I'm not keen on the
lynching mentality that often rears its head in this n.g.
Hopefully if anyone replies to it I might come to
understand it a bit more.

Mark.

*I'm unhappy with that definition. Basically I mean
someone trying to be as safe as society demands, but who
cocks it up somehow. You know what I mean even if I'm
unable to say it :)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:29:05 +0000 (UTC), Ian W
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2004-03-26 22:00:25 +0000, BenS <[email protected]> said:
>>>>

>>> He should have been banned from holding a driving
>>> licence. For life.
>>
>> What, exactly, is that going to accomplish?
>
>Don't be deliberately obtuse. You've already acknowledged
>that any driver can have an 'accident' and kill someone.
>Therefore one fewer driver on the road must make the world
>a safer place. That's an accomplishment. Happy?

I love the assumption that because you drive you're
automatically trying to kill someone and a danger to
humanity.

Can all those in this thread of the "hang 'em and flog 'em"
persuasion honestly say that they've never broken a speed
limit? I don't believe they could.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

In article <[email protected]>,
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bad drivers kill more poeple than murderers so are in
> greater need of deterrent sentencing.

What do you do as a driver which makes you so certain you'll
never have an accident? Could you let us in on the secret?
And if you are so confident, do you drive a light, fuel-
efficient vehicle, or do you drive a Volvo?

ian

In news:[email protected],
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> typed:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:53:46 +0000, BenS
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>> He had an accident. People have accidents.
>
> So if I walk down the high street waving a chainsaw around
> and someone got killed, it wouldn't be may fault because
> it was just an accident?
>
> Over 3,000 people die on the roads every year, mostly due
> to driver negligence. No driver can possibly be unaware of
> the potential consequences of driving like a twunt. The
> fact that these consequences are not inevitable does not
> detract from that fundamental fact.

But the general public seem to be almost unaware, or at
least unacknowledging of the risk. Remember all the people
talking about how dangerous trains were after a few large
crashes? Why aren't they talking about how dangerous cars
are all the time?

>>>Perhaps if he'd been a better trained driver he wouldn't
>>>have had the accident. It was his inability to control
>>>the car at that speed that caused the accident, not the
>>>speed itself.
>>
>>Cobblers. If he had been driving slower there is a good
>>chance that the crash would never have happened, and a
>>better chance that his victim would have survived.
>
> You can't say that from reading that report. There is not
> indication of _why_ he ran wide in that corner.

<pedantic> But it is a reasonable assumption </pedantic>

>>You seem to be suggesting that if it would have been
>>better if only he was one of those "elite" drivers who
>>can handle speed (a group in which most drivers
>>subconsciously include themselves). I see no evidence of
>>this. No driver, however expert, can stop a car safely
>>when cornering too fast.
>
> Not at all. I'm saying that driving is a skill, just like
> riding a bike. With more training and practice you can
> become better at it. This means you can drive/ride faster
> than someone less trained and practised.
>
> He didn't need to stop in that corner. He needed to get
> round the corner safely. Trying to stop is the worst thing
> you can ever do in a corner.

NO NO NO NO NO

GOING SO FAST ROUND A CORNER THAT YOU ARE UNABLE TO STOP IS
THE WORST THING YOU CAN EVER DO ON A CORNER!

that you can't stop you're **** at driving.

(I do concede that I make a difference between racing and
driving. This may explain our differing views)

"Ian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-03-26 22:00:25 +0000, BenS <[email protected]>
> said: Don't be deliberately obtuse. You've already
> acknowledged that any driver can have an 'accident' and
> kill someone. Therefore one fewer driver on the road
> must make the world a safer place. That's an
> accomplishment. Happy?

Then remove them all. Or re-educate him, and hold him up as
an example of how a real driver should be. He has shown
remorse, and he has been taught to drive better. Perhaps the
issue is why was he allowed on the roads before that level
of training anyway?

Jon

In article <[email protected]>,
jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk says...
> "Ian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No, you're not *intending* to kill. But when you get in
> > a car and drive, you know that there is a risk you will
> > kill someone. If the idea of killing someone was
> > *utterly* abhorent to you then driving would be one of
> > the first things you would stop doing. For most, killing
> > is not desirable, but nor is being late for work or
> > whatever.
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that most people, if given
> the choice, would rather kill than be late for work? Is
> that a personal viewpoint?
>
> Jon

Strangly, I've started driving more carefully since starting
to read this ng (admitedly, this conisides with a new boy on
an interanl ng going on about how unfair his motor insurance
is just because he's 24, has a high performace car and has 9
points on his license 'but only for speeding' he thinks that
he should be assesed individually because he's never had an
accident!). I've made a consious effort to keep a proper gap
between me and the car in front, but more importantly in
context, I leave home earlier than I used to when
travelling, and on Monday, when I ended up being an hour and
a half late inspite of setting of an hour earlier than I
woud have done (bloody M25) I resisted the urge to dodge
about lane to lane, and also not to leave the motor way and
hoof it a bit on some urban roads.
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

BenS wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2004 08:49:26 -0800,
> [email protected] (Howard) wrote:
>
>> Aberdeen Evening Express
>>
>> £300 fine for death crash teen
>

> So then, what should his punishment have been?

Heavy fine, at least the price of his car plus annual
running costs. Community service order 1 night a week for
12 months.

5 year Ban followed by a probationary license, where
any speeding offence would result in another 5 year ban
and a fine of the cost of his car. 5 years gives him
time to grow up.

Compulsory purchase of Bike bike, lights and togs, to be
paid for out of his fine.

Compulsory purchase of season ticket for his commuting
journeys, to be paid for out of his fine.

Compulsory pre-payment to taxi firm of cost of one return
trip per week from his home to nearest city centre, for 2
years, to be paid for out of his fine.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Ian W <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are you a Christian? That belief system explicitly talks
> about this sort of thing!

It also talks about humility and forgiveness. Which, given
the fact that the lynch mob on this thread shows none of
either, pretty much rules our Christiantity as a guiding
force. As an atheist, I usually get a little annoyed by the
view of Christians that they have the monopoly on sound
morals, but a little humility wouldn't go amiss amongst
those keen to prove they will never sin.

Those of a Christian bent are referred to Matthew 7:1
through 7:5.

ian

BenS wrote:

> According to a few police I know, the punishment is not
> what prevents people from committing a crime. It's the
> likelihood of getting caught that affects whether someone
> will commit any given crime.

So more cameras then?

--

BenS wrote:

> Not at all. I'm saying that driving is a skill, just like
> riding a bike. With more training and practice you can
> become better at it. This means you can drive/ride faster
> than someone less trained and practised.
>
> He didn't need to stop in that corner. He needed to get
> round the corner safely. Trying to stop is the worst thing
> you can ever do in a corner.

Oh ffs grow up. No one needs to go round corners at a speed
where advanced or elite skills are needed.

If you try to do so, you may or may not get away with it,
but either way its reckless amd you are doing it for purely
selfish reason, probably to do with not getting a really
good blow job often enough.

If you want to learn that sort of stuff get on a race track
and ******** the public highway.

--

BenS wrote:

> Because driving is a skill that can be improved. According
> to that article he has now improved his driving. So by
> that measure he is not a danger.

got away with it.

--

Jon Senior wrote:
> "Ian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> No, you're not *intending* to kill. But when you get in a
>> car and drive, you know that there is a risk you will
>> kill someone. If the idea of killing someone was
>> *utterly* abhorent to you then driving would be one of
>> the first things you would stop doing. For most, killing
>> is not desirable, but nor is being late for work or
>> whatever.
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that most people, if given
> the choice, would rather kill than be late for work? Is
> that a personal viewpoint?

A significant number of people do inflict an increased
probability of injury onto others so that they can get to
work on time. Yes.

--

Jon Senior wrote:

> Then remove them all. Or re-educate him, and hold him up
> as an example of how a real driver should be. He has shown
> remorse, and he has been taught to drive better. Perhaps
> the issue is why was he allowed on the roads before that
> level of training anyway?

Showing remorse is easy.

Its not skill thats the problem its attitude and thats a lot
harder to train away.

--

Jon Senior <jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk> typed:
> "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:[email protected]
> 2.193.157...
>> ***(Despite being agnostic I'd actually like to be
>> atheist, it's just that I asked an atheist why he was so.
>> He told me the whole idea of God is stupid and
>> ridiculous. I asked a Christian. He had the more
>> persuasive argument: he'd met God)
>
> Sorry for snipping the rest of the post but.
>
> "Choosing doubt as a form of faith, is like choosing
> immobility as a form of transport". Pi - The Life of Pi.

Yeah, but it's his choice, and such things are remarkbly
painful and difficult to change, even a small amount, so
helpful quotes pointing out the faults in it aren't useful.
Don't know why he brought it up first.

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Are you seriously suggesting that most people, if given
> > the choice, would rather kill than be late for work? Is
> > that a personal viewpoint?
>
> A significant number of people do inflict an increased
> probability of
injury
> onto others so that they can get to work on time. Yes.

Not the same. Direct choice between one or the other is what
was implied.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> If he is genuinely now a better driver, then perhaps he
> would be more useful as an example for good driving than
> as a martyr for the speeders.

Or he could be a lesson that if you get a good brief and
sign up for a course, you can prety well get away with
manslaughter.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Or he could be a lesson that if you get a good brief and
> sign up for a course, you can prety well get away with
> manslaughter.

The difference between manslaughter and murder is intent. If
you are reckless and cause a death, it is not the same
(Morally, or in law) as intending to kill someone. The
driver did not leave the house intending to kill someone. He
did drive badly, and was in the wrong place at the wrong
time, and so did kill someone. These are not the same.

As for "getting away with it". Community service, ban,
compulsory re-education. Not really what I'd call getting
away with it.

Jon