Yet another doping threat (Viennese Blood)

Cobblestones said:
This is not the point. If someone (the media) puts such an accusation out and the athlete sues for libel, then the media organization has to provide proof for their accusation, not the athlete proof for innocence. Your point is moot.
Yes it is the point. All the media has to do is put out some small retraction on page 56 and they are home free while the average people simply go on believing the person doped.

Casa said:
Yes it is the point. All the media has to do is put out some small retraction on page 56 and they are home free while the average people simply go on believing the person doped.
It would be nice if someone could point to a case where a rider has been libeled for doping but was innocent.

Bro Deal said:
It would be nice if someone could point to a case where a rider has been libeled for doping but was innocent.
Another post proving my point. If an athlete is accused of doping and never tests positive do you simply say that he was libled or he does not dope? Nope, you do what many do and talk about evading the testing, about how if someone said it then it must be true. Any athelte accused of doping with no proof is the answer to your question, but you and many others can't accept it.

Casa said:
Another post proving my point. If an athlete is accused of doping and never tests positive do you simply say that he was libled or he does not dope? Nope, you do what many do and talk about evading the testing, about how if someone said it then it must be true. Any athelte accused of doping with no proof is the answer to your question, but you and many others can't accept it.
Again, name one who was accused and not later shown to be doping.

It's not like newspapers have been accusing Christophe Bassons.

Casa said:

No, this is not the point. You sue for libel. If it goes in your favor, you'll receive compensation for damages (millions if you're lucky). Retraction is a small thing in this regard, but you can take the money you won in the lawsuit and publicize your victory all you want if you're so inclined. Or you can just take it, shut up and retire.

Bro Deal said:
Again, name one who was accused and not later shown to be doping.

It's not like newspapers have been accusing Christophe Bassons.
Maybe Lance...but I don't think he has made a dime in litigation...but good point Bro. You'd think judging by the bleating of all the doping apologists, that they were basing their disgust on the many falsely accused athletes/cyclists. But where are the examples of false allegations that force retractions in small print on p56 of the newspaper? Who has been falsely accused? Don't they (the falsely accused athletes/cyclists) have the potential for making millions in litigation if the newspapers can't back up their story with evidence?

Casa said:

Your point hasn't been proven.

If your point had been proven - you would be able to list the name of a rider who, having been accused of doping, sued and won a libel case.

Can you name one rider accused of doping who has sued and won a libel case?

Crankyfeet said:
You'd think judging by the bleating of all the doping apologists, that they were basing their disgust on the many falsely accused athletes/cyclists. But where are the examples of false allegations that force retractions in small print on p56 of the newspaper? Who has been falsely accused? Don't they (the falsely accused athletes/cyclists) have the potential for making millions in litigation if the newspapers can't back up their story with evidence?

Exactly.

No media organisation can afford to publish lies or deliberately libel an athlete, an entertainer, a politician.
Otherwise they'd be sued to hell.

We'll wait for our friend to tell us the name of the rider who sued and won a libel case over doping allegations...................................yawn.

TheDarkLord said:
I'm sleepy too; we are in the same time zone. Ok, here are the two possibilities:

1. ARD did misreport. The misreporting caused a scandal. Hence, ARD apologized for the erroneous report.

2. ARD did not misreport. However, the report unearths a major scandal in sports like biathlon, which causes significant resentment among parties with links to money and power. They exert pressure, and ARD apologizes for reporting on the topic. This scenario is sort of similar to how the Spanish government covers up OP to protect football.

My question to CH was, which of the two scenarios is valid?
Thank you, TDL.

Looks station apologized misreporting. I read it was legal pressure…I think next week it will come again because police I read this morning want where reporter find his facts…

italiano said:
Thank you, TDL.

Looks station apologized misreporting. I read it was legal pressure…I think next week it will come again because police I read this morning want where reporter find his facts…
ARD will only bring it again if other media will bring new facts. ARD is not only broadcasting biathlon, they are financing the whole thing...

cyclingheroes said:
ARD will only bring it again if other media will bring new facts. ARD is not only broadcasting biathlon, they are financing the whole thing...
CH, La Gazzetta dello Sport report Austria antidoping investigating to…

You think Austria media hideing facts if police and antidoping find it?…

italiano said:

I reported that as well, they said they expect new facts in the coming week but... Austrian anti-doping authorities don't have a very good reputation...

Austrian media? W'll have to wait for that one, they learned from German media you can earn a lot of money with D stories (Opps did I really wrote this? ;) )

italiano said:

Its feasible.. They hid the fact that Kurt Waldheim was a Nazi for 50 years.

Yup, exactly the responses I expected. Demand names, ignore everything else, throw out "doping apologists." Thanks guys for proving my point so well.

Casa said:
Yup, exactly the responses I expected. Demand names, ignore everything else, throw out "doping apologists." Thanks guys for proving my point so well.

Name one rider falsely accused of doping who won a libel case.

Casa said:
I'll take that as an admission that you cannot find an example. :p

You can make an intellectual argument about athletes being libeled, but it would help your case if you could point to an actual example.

Bro Deal said:
I'll take that as an admission that you cannot find an example. :p

You can make an intellectual argument about athletes being libeled, but it would help your case if you could point to an actual example.

He can't.

Casa said:
You know what? You sound just like Doctor.House. When people ask for some simple evidence to bolster your point, ignore it and keep repeating the same thing ad nauseum.