Yet another fake letter.

Simon Mason

Guest
This is getting silly now. First myself, then Peter Minn and
now Howard Peel who frequents this NG now and again and who
is the author of the Bikezone site mentioned in another
thread is the victim this time. Howard has in the past
mentioned the lack of policing of uninsured drivers (one of
his criticisms of Humberside Police) which encourages hit
and run incidents.

This letter is such an obvious fake and in any case Howard
would not be bothered about a traffic jam. In addition, it
mentions a dangerous railway crossing that Howard has
campaigned for years to get fixed so that cyclists don't
slip on the rails like dozens have done over the years.

You can barely imagine someone so pathetic that instead of
using reasoned arguments they have to stoop this low.

Are you going to set the record straight Howard? I'd be on
the blower to the editor to investigate this to see if they
can trace the culprit (clue - she wants 30 mph signs
putting up).

Starts:

I Was on Spring Bank West last Wednesday in a long, long
line of traffic, which I thought was caused by an accident.

When I eventually got to Walton Street railway crossing, I
realised what the traffic jam was all about.

It was caused by the police stopping and checking all
vehicles to see if they were insured, taxed and with an MoT
certificate and it took seven, yes seven, police cars to
accomplish this.

It's a complete disgrace the way this police manpower is
used.

H Peel,

Pickering Road,

Hull.

On 2/7/04 11:30 am, in article [email protected], "Simon
Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I Was on Spring Bank West last Wednesday in a long, long
> line of traffic, which I thought was caused by an
> accident.
>
> When I eventually got to Walton Street railway crossing, I
> realised what the traffic jam was all about.
>
> It was caused by the police stopping and checking all
> vehicles to see if they were insured, taxed and with an
> MoT certificate and it took seven, yes seven, police cars
> to accomplish this.
>
> It's a complete disgrace the way this police manpower
> is used.

I suppose a reply would be something along the lines of:

attempting to ensure that motorists (who only kill n per
year in humberside) are brought to book for such petty
crimes as driving an unroadworthy vehicle with the potential
to kill innocent bystanders (quote a couple of relevant
cases here), they should instead be focussing on real crimes
such as the neighbours with the stereo a bit loud, or
preventing murders ( y last year).

Signed the real Howard Peel.

I suppose you could threaten the editor with a small claims
court action for every time he prints a letter that falsely
purports to be from you.

..d

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:46:16 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I suppose a reply would be something along the lines of:
>

>attempting to ensure that motorists (who only kill n per
>year in humberside)

I don't imagine that using the H********e word will get you
far in the HDM these days...

Roger

On 2/7/04 1:58 pm, in article [email protected],
"Roger Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't imagine that using the H********e word will get
> you far in the HDM these days...

Why not? It's all the south anyway..

;-)

..d

Hi Simon,

I am not at all sure that letter it is from a certain person
we know and love and who has a face like a melted plastic
ashtray... For one thing it seems someone living in Mr
Minn's street and just happening to have my name also has a
letter in 'The West Hull Advertiser' this week demanding
that conscription be brought back!

Could be low level intimidation from someone pro-car, anti-
speed camera anti-cycling nut. They might even be a member
of the ABD who are known, allegedly, for sending in multiple
bogus letters in an attempt to give the illusion they have
widespread support. Or perhaps just some crank who will come
round and murder us all in our beds...

I have contacted the Mail about this. We'll see what they
come back with.

Regards,

Howard.

On 2 Jul 2004 07:53:18 -0700 someone who may be
[email protected] (Howard) wrote this:-

>Could be low level intimidation from someone pro-car, anti-
>speed camera anti-cycling nut. They might even be a member
>of the ABD who are known, allegedly, for sending in
>multiple bogus letters in an attempt to give the illusion
>they have widespread support.

Another of their tactics is to write letters to people who
have disagreed with them in the newspapers. These letters
follow a script, the script in their how to campaign manual
I gather. They start off by alleging that the sender has
been misrepresented, they then threaten vague legal action.
The intention is to get the recipient to stop writing to
the papers.

I am very sorry to say that I have never had such a letter.
I will have to try harder.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

Simon Mason wrote:
> This is getting silly now. First myself, then Peter Minn
> and now Howard Peel who frequents this NG now and again
> and who is the author of the Bikezone site mentioned in
> another thread is the victim this time.

I'd like to see a fake letter under my Usenet ID, but I
doubt they'd print it. From ZT Undeniable Esq.

[email protected] (Howard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Simon,
>
> I am not at all sure that letter it is from a certain
> person we know and love and who has a face like a melted
> plastic ashtray... For one thing it seems someone living
> in Mr Minn's street and just happening to have my name
> also has a letter in 'The West Hull Advertiser' this week
> demanding that conscription be brought back!
>
> Could be low level intimidation from someone pro-car, anti-
> speed camera anti-cycling nut. They might even be a member
> of the ABD who are known, allegedly, for sending in
> multiple bogus letters in an attempt to give the illusion
> they have widespread support. Or perhaps just some crank
> who will come round and murder us all in our beds...
>
> I have contacted the Mail about this. We'll see what they
> come back with.
>
> Regards,
>
> Howard.

What "worries" me is that whoever this is used my address
of 4 years ago! This would mean that this person might save
all letters going back at least that far, since the online
letters do not go back to 2000. The Mail should at least
make some attempt to check up on the writer's identity by
matching names and addresses in the electoral register.

Simon

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:30:12 +0100, "Simon Mason"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You can barely imagine someone so pathetic that instead of
>using reasoned arguments they have to stoop this low.

It sounds quite an achievement to get three fake letters
published. As with Usenet trolls, your best bet is to laugh
with the perpetrator.

> What "worries" me is that whoever this is used my address
> of 4 years ago!
>
> Simon

I sold my house on Pickering road 12 years ago!