Yet another gear changing question....

Dave Schmeltz

Jul 24, 2012
OK, so I am relatively new to road bikes and integrated shifters, but here's my story/problem. I have Shimano RX100 derailleurs and Shimano 105 shifters, I just changed the cable to Jagwire slick cable, it is super smooth through the casing. My prblem is the rear derailleur, on a 7spd cassette. The derailleur cable was installed by me and tightened down, limits set correctly and cable is tight. When shifting from first and second gears this is fine and works perfectly, but when shifting from 7th gear to 6th, it jumps over sixth gear and lands on fifth, downshifting from this point is perfect.

I read somewhere that the problem may be the cassette, but I never had this sort of problem on my old cable, so I don't understand.

I'd say the RD shifter is out a little. Try tightening up the cable at the adjustment screw a little.

I had a similar problem just recently after installing new brifters and cables, when I stood on the pedals in bottom (7th) gear, the chain was skipping. I realised the wire had stretched a little so tightened up the adjustment screw and BINGO, all solved.

I find it easiest to align the RD with the rear cassette without the chain, then you can see exactly where the upper jockey wheel is in relation to the cassette sprockets. Its also best to firstly align the RD with the middle sprocket rather than the smallest one, that way any error will be reduced as you move across the cassette.

If you're skipping a gear on the way down the cassette (from larger to smaller cogs), then turn the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur counter clockwise a 1/4 turn. Test to see if that made a difference. If not, lather and repeat. Be sure to also check you shifting going up the cassette (from smaller to bigger cogs) after each adjustment to insure that the RD is still shifting fine in that direction.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Seeing as you just installed new cables you should shift your brifter all the way to the smallest cog #7. Release the clamp screw and screw your barrel adjuster all the way in. Now pull the cable as taunt as you can get it by hand and tighten the clamp screw back up. Shift your brifter one shift upwards and slowly begin turning the crank. Now back out the barrel adjuster until the bike shifts up one cog. You can now begin shifting through all the positions and make slight adjustments of 1/4 barrel turns until the shifting is uber smooth.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Check you tube for videos on replacing your shifter cables. After you do this once or twice it is real easy to perform.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Dont mess with your limit position screws seeing as they have no effect on shifting performance. They only set top and bottom stops preventing your chain from overshifting off the cassette. For some reason people are always tempted to play with these screws[/COLOR][/SIZE]

OK, integrated 105 shifters with a 7-speed cassette--which version of 105 are we talking about? How many clicks does your right shifter give before you need to go in the other direction?

Originally Posted by davereo .

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Seeing as you just installed new cables you should shift your brifter all the way to the smallest cog #7. Release the clamp screw and screw your barrel adjuster all the way in. Now pull the cable as taunt as you can get it by hand and tighten the clamp screw back up. Shift your brifter one shift upwards and slowly begin turning the crank. Now back out the barrel adjuster until the bike shifts up one cog. You can now begin shifting through all the positions and make slight adjustments of 1/4 barrel turns until the shifting is uber smooth.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Check you tube for videos on replacing your shifter cables. After you do this once or twice it is real easy to perform.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Dont mess with your limit position screws seeing as they have no effect on shifting performance. They only set top and bottom stops preventing your chain from overshifting off the cassette. For some reason people are always tempted to play with these screws[/COLOR][/SIZE]
This worked perfectly, thank you!! As far as the brifters go they are 8spd 105's...