Yet another newbie, jamis satellite sport?

chaserr

May 12, 2013
Went to the better of my local bike shops and they carry almost exclusively jamis bikes. There are a few bh and various others out of my price point, but anyway. I don't believe the extreme high priced bikes are important, I don't fret over weight and it would be my first road bike. They found that they had a 2011 blue jamis satellite sport and if you join the club for 15 bucks, the price is $527. First off, is this bike with sora components, Alex rims, and I believe it has vittario tires, even worth the thought? I was previously set on a trek 1.1 but I figured a lower price at a more helpful bike shop would be beneficial to getting gear and a cycling computer to log miles. Second, is this not extremely over priced? I know they were asking $50 more for their 2012 and 2013 models, and they also had a regular satellite with a tiagra rear for that same extra $50 but not in my size. They claim they don't make much profit, but I'm suspicious because I've heard older models usually get giant discounts. Anyway, it was raining so I couldn't test ride, but I'd like to have a few opinions to go off before wasting too much time as of right now. The trek 1.1 is at a different bike shop that I wouldn't trust as much for tune ups and the like, and I believe it has the 2300 components. So far I've read that the rims and tires will need to be changed out at some point, pedals too. I can spend more, I just don't WANT to do so. I'm a minimalist type and I just want a bike for enjoyment and fitness with an occasional short commute now and then. If you have any different suggestions feel free.

the jamis on the other link you posted is better imo