Yet another speeding, uninsured, unlicenced, lying, killer motorist.

In news:[email protected],
Paul - *** <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> Most other replies seem to be slating (quite rightly IMHO) the driver
> involved, but maybe MattB has something positive to say ...

Hope triumphs over experience...

--
Dave Larrington
If you want a bicycle, buy a bicycle. If you want something

In news:[email protected],
Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> It seems to be that in England we are becoming a "don't give a ****"
> nation. We're not even allowed to say we're English without being
> deemed politically incorrect at best or a NF supporter at worse. So if
> we're not allowed to be proud to be English, why should we care? (Not
> my view, I hasten to add, but my perception of what the problem might
> be.) Quite rightly, the Scots, Welsh and Irish are all "allowed" to
> be Scots, Welsh or Irish, but we're not allowed to be English.

After Saturday's deplorable showing at Croke Park, this may not be such a
bad thing. Completely spoiled my plan to spend today find Scotsmen to laugh
at :-(

--
Dave Larrington
Pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives!

Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>It's been seen countless times where people just stand at the side of
>the road by a pedestrian crossing to push the button. Even in the middle
>of the night when there's nothing on the road, and they'll wait.

_I_ haven't seen this countless times. I think you're making stuff up.

>stuffing wait. They'll even cross the road just because there's a green
>man on when there's a fire engine or police car with flashing lights and
>sirens screaming down the road

I have seen this once ever. The people involved were Japanese, so I don't
think that says much about the British public, really.

>(oh, yeah, speed kills, naughty police
>man, oh, erm, if the police can do it, then why can't a few members of
>the public learn to use speed responsibly????)...

The Police cannot do it without occasionally hitting and killing someone.
There is, however, a social benefit from having the Police be able to
respond to crimes quickly and it is felt that this benefit outweighs the
occasional loss of life. There isn't one from allowing you to indulge
yourself.
Today is Stilday, February - a weekend.

Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>Simon Brooke wrote:
>>No, it isn't. Firstly, random accidents are very rare. I know someone
>>whose offside front stub axle sheered while they were in the fast
>>lane of a dual carriageway

>Bull! There's no such thing as a fast lane!

Actually, the term is widely understood. There is a risk that its use
leads to more aggressive driving, but that is not a serious risk here.
Your objection is as ridiculous as that of the chap who objected to the
commonly understood use of "alloy" to mean "aluminium alloy".

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>> Bull! There's no such thing as a fast lane!

> Actually, the term is widely understood. There is a risk that its use
> leads to more aggressive driving, but that is not a serious risk here.
> Your objection is as ridiculous as that of the chap who objected to the
> commonly understood use of "alloy" to mean "aluminium alloy".

Or "road tax" to mean Vehicle Excise Duty

Er, oops

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:09:35 +0000, David Damerell wrote:

> Your objection is as ridiculous as that of the chap who objected to the
> commonly understood use of "alloy" to mean "aluminium alloy".

That must have been me? An alloy is an, er, alloy of different metals 'n'
stuff. Saying "alloy" to mean "aluminium alloy" is just wrong.
OK, half wrong ;)

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura Ace 10

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>> It's been seen countless times where people just stand at the side
>> of the road by a pedestrian crossing to push the button. Even in
>> the middle of the night when there's nothing on the road, and
>> they'll wait.

> _I_ haven't seen this countless times. I think you're making stuff
> up.

Ahh, right, this is, if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?
Because you havent seen it, it doesn't happen.

>> (oh, yeah, speed kills, naughty police man, oh, erm, if the police
>> can do it, then why can't a few members of the public learn to use
>> speed responsibly????)...

> The Police cannot do it without occasionally hitting and killing
> someone. There is, however, a social benefit from having the Police
> be able to respond to crimes quickly and it is felt that this benefit
> outweighs the occasional loss of life. There isn't one from allowing
> you to indulge yourself.

Well, Im not getting into this argument here...

Cya
Simon

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>> No, it isn't. Firstly, random accidents are very rare. I know someone
>>> whose offside front stub axle sheered while they were in the fast
>>> lane of a dual carriageway

>> Bull! There's no such thing as a fast lane!

> Actually, the term is widely understood.

Doesn't matter. It doesn't exist.

Perhaps the earth is flat? That used to be widely understood too... And
that the Sun revolves around the earth...

> There is a risk that its use
> leads to more aggressive driving,

There is a risk that there are people on the road who havent a clue
about lane discipline or other rules and regulations on the road.

> but that is not a serious risk here.
> Your objection is as ridiculous as that of the chap who objected to the
> commonly understood use of "alloy" to mean "aluminium alloy".

Not so. I don't think I've seen references to alloys in the highway
code. As such, alloys are not a safety thing.

You spout an enormous amount of **** don't you and think you're right?

Cya
Simon

Danny Colyer wrote:
> [Roger Thorpe] wrote:
>> I'm sorry if I came over all dogmatic, but you know how troll B can
>> push one's buttons!

> BTDTBTTS.

Any chance of a link to anywhere we can get a copy?

mb wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:04:44 +0000, Jeff York wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> ... But an automatic, long, prison sentence - no excuses,
>>> no alternatives - for killing someone with a car

>> Only a "car"? What about vans, trucks, buses and, dare I say it,
>> bicycles?
>>
>>> ... would send a very clear
>>> message. I believe that it would serve a public policy interest - I think
>>> it would persuade some people drive more carefully.

>> No. You have to prove *guilt* - be it by intention or gross
>> negligence. Imprisoning people for being involved in random
>> *accidents* is deeply inequitable.

> You're arguing with an anti motorised transport moron who won't accept
> that accidents happen and that road deaths are not deliberate.

Simon Brooke is internationally famous for his moronity and his ability
to impute motives.

Like Jeff York said, it's the negligence which is a criminal offence
which remains grossly underpunished.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

> in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
> ('firstname+'n'@gmail.com') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke is internationally famous for his moronity and his ability
>> to impute motives.

> I've got a fan, at last!
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; I put the 'sexy' in 'dyslexia'

Simon's automated sig-generator proves its worth, once again :)

Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
mailto:[email protected] http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
> ('firstname+'n'@gmail.com') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke is internationally famous for his moronity and his ability
>> to impute motives.

> I've got a fan, at last!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. It's possible I was saying the
opposite of what I meant. ;)

Ambrose Nankivell asked:

Try http://tinyurl.com/2x7d3f

Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>>>It's been seen countless times where people just stand at the side
>>>of the road by a pedestrian crossing to push the button. Even in
>>>the middle of the night when there's nothing on the road, and
>>>they'll wait.

>>_I_ haven't seen this countless times. I think you're making stuff
>>up.

>Because you havent seen it, it doesn't happen.

Certainly if it happens "countless" times I'd expect to see it a few
times, yes.

>>The Police cannot do it without occasionally hitting and killing
>>someone. There is, however, a social benefit from having the Police
>>be able to respond to crimes quickly and it is felt that this benefit
>>outweighs the occasional loss of life. There isn't one from allowing
>>you to indulge yourself.

>Well, Im not getting into this argument here...

Good idea, since you don't have a leg to stand on.
Today is Potmos, March.

Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>>>Bull! There's no such thing as a fast lane!

>>Actually, the term is widely understood.

>Doesn't matter. It doesn't exist.

Actually, the lane referred to does exist.

>Perhaps the earth is flat? That used to be widely understood too...

That is not an issue of terminology.

>>There is a risk that its use leads to more aggressive driving,

>There is a risk that there are people on the road who havent a clue
>about lane discipline or other rules and regulations on the road.

But of course Simon knows perfectly well what the intended use of the fast
lane is, so that's irrelevant.

>>Your objection is as ridiculous as that of the chap who objected to the
>>commonly understood use of "alloy" to mean "aluminium alloy".

>Not so. I don't think I've seen references to alloys in the highway
>code.

Well, no. You probably won't find references to fast lanes in materials
handbooks, either. So what?
Today is Potmos, March.

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>> David Damerell wrote:
>>> Actually, the term is widely understood.

>> Doesn't matter. It doesn't exist.

> Actually, the lane referred to does exist.

What lane? the fast lane? Please go to Highwaycode.gov.uk and show me
where it is... It may be a colloquialism and the lane wrongly referred
to as a fast lane does exist, but it is not a fast lane because there is
no such thing as a fast lane.

Do you dispute this?

Government websites don't:

"Practice good lane discipline. ..... and remember that the right hand
lane is not 'the fast lane'."

>> Perhaps the earth is flat? That used to be widely understood too...

> That is not an issue of terminology.

Right... so the right hand overtaking lane being wrongly thought of and
used as a fast lane, IS an issue of terminology?

>>> There is a risk that its use leads to more aggressive driving,

>> There is a risk that there are people on the road who havent a clue
>> about lane discipline or other rules and regulations on the road.

> But of course Simon knows perfectly well what the intended use of the
> fast lane is, so that's irrelevant.

I know so it's irrelevent? What's irrelevent?

It's not a fast lane. Despite people wrongly calling it a fast lane,
it's not a fast lane. Care to point out to me where it says this in the
highway code?

If people get the highway code wrong on lanes, maybe they get other
things wrong? Signs, speed limits, warnings? If it's used for its
intended purpose, why should it lead to more aggressive driving?

You really are a fool aren't you?

>>> Your objection is as ridiculous as that of the chap who objected
>>> to the commonly understood use of "alloy" to mean "aluminium
>>> alloy".

>> Not so. I don't think I've seen references to alloys in the highway
>> code.

> Well, no. You probably won't find references to fast lanes in
> materials handbooks, either. So what?

Well... the highway code are a list of rules and regulations and
instructions for driving and driving safely on the road. Correct?

For the nth time, and surely you're not blind, but if people are getting
something as basic as that wrong, perhaps, they're getting other things
wrong?

The objection being that people who aren't aware of the highway code and
wrongly interpreting information could potentially be more dangerous.

Your comparison with Alloy wheels is poor.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell asked:
>> Any chance of a link to anywhere we can get a copy?

> Try http://tinyurl.com/2x7d3f

Cheers.

They're not as witty as Howies' tshirts though, so I'll give it a miss.

Quoting Simon Dean <[email protected]>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>>Doesn't matter. It doesn't exist.

>>Actually, the lane referred to does exist.

>What lane? the fast lane? Please go to Highwaycode.gov.uk and show me
>where it is...

That will not show you what exists, but what terminology they use, of
course.

>>That is not an issue of terminology.

>Right... so the right hand overtaking lane being wrongly thought of and
>used as a fast lane, IS an issue of terminology?

That's not the question here. In writing a Usenet article, Simon Brooke
does not use any lane for any purpose; the question is purely one of
terminology.

>>>There is a risk that there are people on the road who havent a clue
>>>about lane discipline or other rules and regulations on the road.

>>But of course Simon knows perfectly well what the intended use of the
>>fast lane is, so that's irrelevant.

>I know so it's irrelevent? What's irrelevent?

The risk you raise.

>If people get the highway code wrong on lanes, maybe they get other
>things wrong? Signs, speed limits, warnings?

Maybe they do, but this is entirely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

>For the nth time, and surely you're not blind, but if people are getting
>something as basic as that wrong, perhaps, they're getting other things
>wrong?

But we're not concerned with these unspecified "people". You specifically
objected to the use of the term by Simon Brooke. I am quite sure he is
aware of the intended use of the lane in question. Hence your objection is
that tedious old technique of whining about terminology because you can't
muster an objection to the substance.
Today is Teleute, March.