Yet another thread about Tubeless repairs

ROBIN9

Mar 31, 2006
Hi,

I have just ordered a Specialized Epic Marathon (2007) and it comes with aTubeless wheelset UST Mavic 817 rims and Specialzed UST Tyres.

I have no experience with these and have read the numerous threads about Tubeless experiemces.

My question is concerning repairs on the trails. I have found that Panaracer make a repair kit that you can use on the trail for a fix from the outside of the tyre.

Basically, you cut a thin strip from the sheet of rubber. You then thread the strip into the eye of the 'needle on a handle' and cover it in rubber solution. Push the needle all the way into the tyre to thread a fair bit of rubber strip into the puncture. Pull the needle back out and you have a W shaped plug repairing the hole in your tyre, which you separate from the needle with the scissors you then re-inflate

Presumably this takes away the necessity to give a blast of air to reseal the bead around the rims so not requiring the expensive use of a CO2 canister, but not sure about this.

Anyone have any experience of this type of repair?

Another question is about putting tubes in UST tyres / rims whilst out on the trail. Is it as simple as with clinchers? Or is there something difficult about getting the tyre of and and back on the rim?

I dont want alot of hastle if I pucture out on the trail so at the moment I am tempted just to chuck a pair of tubes in and be done with it! :eek:

have not used that type but when i got a flat with tubeless the bead poped off on me by the time i stoped. :(a 5mile walk to trailhead is no fun fwiw you can just put a tube in and fix back at home ect. or try stans sealent which i use now:)

Stans sealant should be used but does not always work. God only knows what I'd do if I punctured and needed to fix it. I couldn't even get my current set of tires on the rim - had to take it to a shop to have them installed. :(

I always carry two tubes and air cyclinders though.