Yet another tragedy

G

Cyclist killed while training
By ANDREW MOLLOY

A PROFESSIONAL cyclist believed to be in his 40s was killed yesterday evening when he was knocked from his bicycle while on a training run near the intersection of Gillies and Muir Rds, Miners Rest.

It is believed the man was riding towards Ballarat about 6.15pm when his bicycle was struck from behind by a Falcon station wagon.

A Rural Ambulance Service spokeswoman said last night the ambulance was called at 6.23pm and that the man was dead by the time paramedics reached him.

The driver is believed to have stopped to offer assistance.

The car and the driver were transported to the Ballarat police station.

The man was wearing long bicycle pants, and bicycle shoes.

It is believed he suffered massive head injuries.

The government undertaker was called and the man's body was transported to the Ballarat morgue at the Ballarat Health Services Base Hospital.

The man's name was not available late last night as relatives were still being notified. But a police spokesman said the man was in his 40s.

Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to contact Snr Const Trevor Williams from the Ballarat Traffic Management Unit on 5336 1306.

Another tragedy is exactly right on this one.  I suppose the driver will use the same old "I didn't see him" **** and get off with a slap on the wrist too.  Of course, if he'd used a gun rather than a car...  Perhaps that's something Martin Bryant should have thought about.

:mad:

A follow up that appeared in todays paper<br /><br />
<br />Family mourns missing father <br />By Alex Easton <br /><br />CHRIS Cashin was a creature of habit.<br /><br />So when the 41-year-old racing cyclist did not returnhome from his regular training ride on Wednesday eveningon time, his family suspected something had happened.<br /><br />Family friend Shirley Hetherington said four-year-oldEmily Cashin guessed her father's fate well beforepolice arrived to tell them Mr Cashin had died in atraffic accident at Miners Rest.<br /><br />''It's alright,'' Emily told her mother, Gail. ''We'vestill got photos of Dad.''<br /><br />Mr Cashin died after a car hit him from behind while hewas riding towards Ballarat on a narrow section of Gillies Rd about 6.15pm on Wednesday.<br /><br />Police yesterday described the tragedy as a ''true accident'', saying there had been no way for the50-year-old driver of the Ford Falcon that hit Mr Cashin to avoid the safety-conscious cyclist.<br /><br />Speaking for the family yesterday, Ms Hetherington saidEmily's brave words spoke volumes about the devotion Mrand Mrs Cashin showed their children.<br /><br />''They've always had two parents who will sit with them and talk with them,'' she said. ''And now one of them's gone.''<br /><br />Gail, Emily and two-year-old Olivia Cashin were yesterday surrounded by friends and family at their Invermay home and sharing stories about Mr Cashin.<br /><br />Relaying words from Gail Cashin, Ms Hetheringtondescribed Mr Cashin as a popular man who deeply lovedhis young family.<br /><br />Beyond his family, Mr Cashin's great passions were hissport of cycling and his mint-condition bright red 1974Charger.<br /><br />Ms Hetherington said Mr Cashin was proud of the car - and was slightly appalled when Emily and Olivia declaredit to be the Big Red Car from the The Wiggles television show.<br /><br />As a cyclist, Mr Cashin had a powerful reputation around Ballarat.<br /><br />President of the Veterans Cycling Club and a member ofthe Ballarat-Sebastopol club, Mr Cashin lived for hissport and loved its challenges, Ms Hetherington said.<br /><br />''He loved headwinds and he loved the 12-cog (thehardest gear-cog on a bike) and he loved going uphills,'' she said.<br /><br />Veterans Cycling Club secretary Bob Morley said MrCashin was ''the most disciplined athlete I have everseen _ he was just extraordinary.''<br /><br />Over the years Mr Cashin gathered a swag of cyclingvictories. Last year he won the club championship by thelargest margin in its history _ leaving a gap of about100 points between first and second placegetters.<br /><br />Friend and fellow cyclist Dennis Shaw said MrCashin was a good president and athlete.<br /><br />''He was very straightforward,'' Mr Shaw said. ``If hesaid he would do something then it was done.''<br /><br />Mr Shaw said Mr Cashin enjoyed enormous respect from hisPowercor co-workers _ where he worked as a maintenanceproject manager _ even though few knew of his cyclingprowess.<br /><br />''He was a good guy,'' Mr Shaw said.<br /><br />''He reminds me of a bridge going over the water, andnow it's as if one of the pillars wasn't there.''<br />

My deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Chris Cashin. I hope that this tragedy will show drivers (not only in Aus but also in SA) the dangers of not concentrating on the road.

How wasteful. My sympathies to the family. The roadway is a shared responsibility that we as users must accept.

G'day. Gosh it's been cold in Melbourne. I've been hoping for a two-week trip to Queensland, but no such luck!

To me, this "accident'' just doesn't gel. Here's why:

Police yesterday described the tragedy as a ''true accident'', saying there had been no way for the50-year-old driver of the Ford Falcon that hit Mr Cashin to avoid the safety-conscious cyclist.

So who broke which law, if there was no mechanical failure of the car or bicycle? Isn't there a human error here? The police,
are virtally saying that the driver is without fault.

I wonder what the driver's occupation is? Would that have any
bearing on his exemplary road conduct?

Seems to me that when your'e out on the road on your bike....
how many of us have to be 'sacrificed' each year? It happens
at random... could be me next week. Because we only go one at a time, we have no voice, no protest.

G'day. Gosh it's been cold in Melbourne. I've been hoping for a two-week trip to Queensland, but no such luck!

To me, this "accident'' just doesn't gel. Here's why:

Police yesterday described the tragedy as a ''true accident'', saying there had been no way for the50-year-old driver of the Ford Falcon that hit Mr Cashin to avoid the safety-conscious cyclist.

So who broke which law, if there was no mechanical failure of the car or bicycle?  Isn't there a human error here?  The police,
are virtally saying that the driver is without fault.

I wonder what the driver's occupation is? Would that have any
bearing on his exemplary road conduct?

Seems to me that when your'e out on the road on your bike....
how many of us have to be 'sacrificed' each year?  It happens
at random... could be me next week.  Because we only go one at a time, we have no voice, no protest.

Welcome back Wmllie...you've been MIA for quite some time  :)

Guess why it was a ''true accident'' ?

It's because there was a car coming the other way, so the driver HAD NO CHOICE but to hit the cyclist! Pretty ****ed hey?

The driver hit the cyclist from behind.....so IMO the driver can only be one of two things;

1) Culpable - He knew the car and cyclist were there, but didn't give a **** and drove into the cyclist anyway. This would make him a murderer.....he knows he's a murderer, he's going to have to live with being a murderer for the rest of his life.....hell when this ***** walks down the street he knows alot of people look at him and see a murderer

or

2) Negligent - His brain was ‘out to lunch’ and he was NOT watching what he was doing. Remember driving a car doesn’t require a high IQ but it does require your full attention. This would be manslaughter if he used a gun or a knife to get the same end result.

You don't hit some one from behind and call it a ****ing true accident, this bloke needs pulling out of his car a shooting in the ****ing gutter.

have a nice day  ;)

The driver hit the cyclist from behind.....so IMO the driver can only be one of two things;

You forgot one Steve:

The age old I don't give a f*** feeling 90% of motorists have towards bicycles. A quick example: I "commuted" to work on Saturday :( down one of the less friendly roads in Johannesburg (for those of you who know it Main Reef Rd. in Industria). The cars (BMW's and Mercs) and 4x4 went from the 3rd lane to my side of the road to see how close they could get to my. That is what is causing the accidents!

I'm sorry, but the statement that this person could not avoid the cyclist, is udder shite!

I mean, did he not have brakes on his vehicle? This was from BEHIND. It isn't like someone was turning or changing lanes or running a red light or anything. Straight up from behind! In a car accident in the US, if you hit someone from behind, you are automatically at fault, regardless. The idea being that you are obligated, since you can see that person because you are BEHIND them and they more than likely can't see you, that you are legally responsible for leaving the appropriate space to accomodate the braking distance of your vehicle. If you did not do that, then you were irresponsible and took away the personal road space from the person in front of you...and therefore, at fault.

Had Mr. Cashin been in a car and this happened, the other person would be in jail right now being brought up on charges of vehicular manslaughter.

This was no accident. To be honest, I'm getting a little sick of reading about "I didn't see him" being used as an excuse for this sort of thing. Why does nobody ever ask "Why not?". It seems to me that the guy could have quite easily avoided hitting the cyclist if he had just slowed down for three seconds (God, what a terrible thought that is!).

I wouldn't be surprised if that was all it was. A car coming the other direction didn't allow this guy enough room to pass safely, so rather than wait for three seconds, he decided to risk it. Hence the "accident". I'd say it was completely avoidable if the guy had just waited a few seconds.

:mad:

Code:
"I didn't see him"
Isn't it like admitting you were not watching what you were doing? In other words guilty of causing whatever happened?
Afterall you are meant to be aware of what your doing when you're driving ;D ****ing murderer

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

RANT RANT PUFF PUFF HISSY FIT AND ULTIMATE TANTRUM.

What is the matter with these people - a guy was killed - not just a number on a book somewhere - this guy had a wife and child for fcuk sakes - what do you tell them? oops sorry....

This 'oh my I didn't see him oops' excuse is cr@p. How would they feel if it happened to their brother/daughter/father etc?

The problem is not limited to cyclists though - here in the UK the motorbike riders have come up with an expression: SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) cos that's the standard excuse when a car mows them down.

What a waste of a life and what a pathetic let off. I don't think the killer (that's right a filthy murderer) should be sent to prison - he should be given 3000 hours community service marshalling at races, organising events, running drinks tables etc. That'll help cycling in general and give the idiot an idea of what cycling is all about.

Re: Culpable Driving, Homicide & Murder -

I vaguely recall reading an interview with a high-ranking Police Officer in a Melbourne newspaper some 10 or more years ago.

The main topic of the article was his hope to change the law, or to introduce new classification of road murder. I do forget what actual name he gave it.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's been any change.
Except perhaps in attitudes, which seem to have worsened.

What we need is a person, or group of persons with the skills of investigative jounalists and lawyers, to follow up these accidents and report in full, to make public the entire case.
Regretably, I don't have the skills or the time.

We don't need more statistics - just presentable case studies.

If you run into the back of another car. Doesn't the law say that you're at fault??? for not keeping a safe distance.

If this poor cyclist was driving a big slow front end loader instead of riding his bike, I wonder if the car would have stopped in time???
Hmmm