Yet another trials uni "which should I buy" thread

pkittle

Guest
So, I'm thinking about a trials uni, and am looking to go cheap but
strong. It's more for play than anything serious--I'm 200 lbs and 42,
so you won't see me doing any triple-crank-flip-1080-varials on it. I
just want something to mess around with at the local skatepark and
such, with drops no bigger than say a picnic table.

I've narrowed it to 3:
'DX' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=764) (duh) $260
(can get for $245 shipped on eBay)
'Hoppley $350' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=941)
'Nimbus' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=940) w/Qu-Ax
wheelset (splined) $330

Other than weight differences in these three (which are negligible
compared to the weight of me), it seems that the hub/crankset and rim
are the things that distinguish them. The Hoppley has a 04 KH hub with
127 QuAx cranks and KH Freeride rim; the Nimbus has QuAx hub, rim, and
145 cranks. The DX I already know enough about.

So, given my needs, does anyone have any particular recommendation?
Would I likely be perfectly happy with any of these? Is there one here
that seems more likely to break than the others (other than the Torker
frame)?

I've done plenty of searches and have followed threads like these, but
haven't seen the Hoppley and Nimbus compared head-to-head yet. And
please no recommendations to buy the KH or Onza or some other uni--I
want to keep the discussion to these 3. So, are the Nimbus and Hoppley
that much better that they warrant an extra $100 or more?

Thanks,
Peter

--
pkittle

*========
Peter Kittle
Chico, CA
========*
pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111

if i was on the money aspect of it, i'd go for the dx simply beacuse
it's cheap and splined.

the hoppley is a very good unicycle, if i had to choose out of the
three i would definatly get the hoppley because of the hub/cranks, and
the great KH rim.

but really they're all going to be good, no matter which one you buy
you'll be happy

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

hoppley out of them

--
lucky_8

I'm not a hardcore rider yet only because I need a trials uni and my
learner is broke
working on level 4 and I just started the level system. I also don't
even like the level system
unicycle for christ
lucky_8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11685

Yeah...Out of those 3 the Hoppley is the best. Its pretty heavy but it
all the components it has are tried and tested and have proved to be
very good.

My vote goes to hoppley.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR